1.    #1  
    My palm pre will not charge with any of my chargers (including the factory one). This happened about 4 months ago and I ended up having to swap for a new phone. Before it completely stopped charging it would charge if i held the charger just so for a little while, then would stop and go dead. This seems to be a recurring problem with other palm pre's - any way of preventing it? The first pre I had was fine for about 16 months before I had the problem.
    Did you experience any SOS Only problems as well?
    Is this a current issue or just hypo?
    Quote Originally Posted by leetlelaura View Post
    My palm pre will not charge with any of my chargers (including the factory one). This happened about 4 months ago and I ended up having to swap for a new phone. Before it completely stopped charging it would charge if i held the charger just so for a little while, then would stop and go dead. This seems to be a recurring problem with other palm pre's - any way of preventing it? The first pre I had was fine for about 16 months before I had the problem.
    if you are using the microUSB to charge and it has stopped charging, my guess is that somewhere along the line something was torqued or bent, and thus you have to hold it in a certain way to make contact and get a charge.

since it is on multiple chargers than i would hazzard to guess the problem is with the pre itself, either a physical bend/stretching of the contacts, or its just plain dirty.

while there have been problems with the USB door and cracks on the pre (hence the redesign on the pre2) I haven't seen a ton of problems with your particular problem on here.

solutions for preventing it in the future would be to take care to plug and unplug it gingerly pulling straight out using the plug itself and not the cord, similarly pushing in with equal care. perhaps more care than you would hope a device should require, but that would be one suggestion.

the second suggestion, and a solution for you if it is a current problem is the touchstone. the pre should charge up just fine on a touchstone now, and you will avoid wear and tear on the microUSB port.

touchstones can be found relatively cheap on amazon and of course you will need a touchstone back if you dont already have one.

Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre and Palm Pixi: Cell Phones & Accessories

hope that helps some.
    There are four lights.
    Did you say that when you move the cable or the usb connector on the pre it sometime charges?
    Could be a problem of the USB connector of the device.
    I recommend using a touch stone and don't use USB often.

EDIT: GozWindzilla just almost said the same.
    If you pull off the back cover, you will see 2 contacts on the cover itself. If you clean those contacts with rubbing alcohol, blow it dry, then rub graphite (No. 2 pencil) on those contact points and repeat this process on the 2 contacts on the back of the phone itself (that touch the cover contacts) this might solve your charging problem. It has nothing to do with your method of charging. I have experienced this problem twice now in the last 4 months. The first time I took my phone to the cell phone store and the associate told me it was a problem with the charging outlet on my phone. They sent me home with my broken phone and ordered a replacement phone for me because my phone was under warranty. I decided to try the above method (something I learned from the internet to repair my car a/c panel) and it actually worked. I received the replacement phone and for other reasons had to get it replaced 2 more times. The phone I currently have is my 4th phone in less than a year and it just died on me today and wouldn't charge. So I tried the same method as above and it is working again. I hope this helps.

Risha