webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Help-Touch screen is doing its own thing!
Help-Touch screen is doing its own thing!
Like Tree1Likes

Old 01/13/2011, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

HELP!!! - My Pre's screen can suddenly act as if there is a ghost operating it - its on the desk next to me and it just starts opening the address book and making calls or sending blank emails!!!

It can unlock the screen as well sometimes. Often the only way to stop it is by removing the battery.
It may be posessed, but is there a 'fix' that I need to carry out. I re calibrated the screen, but it doesn't cure the problem.

I hope someone can help, because I really don't want to buy a replacement now if HP is going to launch better stuff in a few months!

Thanks
Prepped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2011, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped View Post
HELP!!! - My Pre's screen can suddenly act as if there is a ghost operating it - its on the desk next to me and it just starts opening the address book and making calls or sending blank emails!!!

It can unlock the screen as well sometimes. Often the only way to stop it is by removing the battery.
It may be posessed, but is there a 'fix' that I need to carry out. I re calibrated the screen, but it doesn't cure the problem.

I hope someone can help, because I really don't want to buy a replacement now if HP is going to launch better stuff in a few months!

Thanks
How old is the phone?
Old 01/13/2011, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Defiantly try rebooting (or pulling the battery if you can't reboot).

As for replacement...who is your carrier?
Old 01/13/2011, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
Defiantly try rebooting (or pulling the battery if you can't reboot).

As for replacement...who is your carrier?
I don' think it really matters who the carrier is for a replacement because they can tell you no but if the phone is less than a year old it has a warranty from HP/Palm themselves. I have had my carrier tell me no before so I went above them and called HP/Palm and they replaced no questions asked. If this phone in question still has a warranty from HP/Palm it sounds like a software issue and the poster has tried pulling the battery as stated in post. I would get in touch with HP/Palm to resolve the issue, don't always believe what your carrier tells you they sometimes just couldn't be bothered with helping anyone!!!!!!
Old 01/13/2011, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had this very thing happen to me.
Two days ago, while driving, my wife calls and says "You just pocket dialed me." This was odd because the phone was in an inside jacket pocket with the screen locked.
Last night while my wife and I are eating at a local burger joint, sitting in the car, both of us reading, my phone on my knee, face up, the phone (on its own) dials her again. We both watched this happen and could see that nothing was touching the face of the phone.

My phone is about a year and a half old.
satchmo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bangeko
Old 01/13/2011, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

a good clean repeated wipe of the screen with a towel or t shirt seems to do the trick w me. sometimes you need to "degauss" the screen
Old 01/13/2011, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine called 911 at 1am this morning..
The last two days has been terrible for my pre as well. However...I went thru the interactive tests.. all of them and it seems to be behaving right now!
onmymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2011, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is Palm having a 2011 bug or something? There seems to be a lot of people having this problem and a "phone not charging" problem.
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2011, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have this problem with my sprint pre... I pull the battery every time it happens.

Edit: its a month out of warranty.

Last edited by antijingoist; 01/13/2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: additional information
antijingoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2011, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Watch out for exposing the phone to moisture. I found that even a little bit of condensation on the screen can cause odd occurrences.

This has also happened when the phone was overheating, for some people.
Old 01/13/2011, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

This happened to me before as well. Seemed to happen after I went snowboarding, then came home and put it on the charger. I would wake up, my phone would be on and I would have a ton of agenda items added to my calendar. A tip from another person said to bend the phone like a deck of cards. That seemed to work for a bit, but it ended up being unusable. Finally had to retire my Pre.
ccano8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2011, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Same thing is happening to my pre (Version A, bougt in Germany at O2 in oct-09). The pre is shifting through open programs like phone, messages, internet, making calls etc. Restarts (symb - orange - R) don't help. I tried after reading these post to clean the screen ... hoping now. Nothing like this has happend in the 15 month I use the pre.
Michael Ripke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2011, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks everyone - did the clean several times, changed the battery all to no avail - so I bought a second-hand replacement on ebay. What a difference, I think mine sufferred from gradual degradation and I hadn't noticed how bad it was. The replacement is much better than the old one ever was - I absolutely love it & webOS again!
Prepped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Is there anyone out there still reading these threads, as I have a brand new Palm Pre Plus dong exactly the same thing, making it's own calls, the touch screen doesn't work properly and doesn't line up. My trouble is I purshed the phone from Australia, as I live in Samoa, I had to do a bypass activation on it and have had it going for only 2 months. I had a job getting information from the place I purchased it from before, they won't want to know me now, it is less than 12 months since I purchased it and had it sent over here. I love the Palm, but lately I have come to hate it the way it is acting up.
davesamoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Touchscreen problems are usually caused by poor power source. Does your battery check out? Also, it could be caused by screen protectors, but unlikely.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rookie4sho likes this.
Old 06/02/2013, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Touchscreen problems are usually caused by poor power source. Does your battery check out?
So - Do you consider that recharging the battery or replacing the battery will help ?

BTW - it there a way to completely disable the touch screen ? I consider doing this and use the phone only from a BT connected TouchPad (for SMS text messages and for phone calls).
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2013, 10:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
So - Do you consider that recharging the battery or replacing the battery will help ?

BTW - it there a way to completely disable the touch screen ? I consider doing this and use the phone only from a BT connected TouchPad (for SMS text messages and for phone calls).
Yes the TouchScreen (digitizer) can be disabled, but I would not recommend it, there are many ways, disconnect the digitizer flex ribbon cable, using catnip to modify the calibration so it does not see the digitizer (force a software disconnect), using stop hidd (which disables the keyboard/volume/power etc...).

Best way is to fix the problem, if battery replace battery, if digitizer is dirty (oils/water/soft drink/dust) clean it, if flex cable has gotten pulled, then disconnect/reconnect (seating in the channel connector is very important).

Some times I have seen the devices (Pixi Plus/Pre Plus/Pre2) get hot enough where the taps show up like ghosts, adding a good screen protector might help, but then I have seen even with Screen protectors some of them (even good ones) removal of the screen protector solved the ghost taps...

Really the solution to this problem has many solutions and which one will work on your device is trial and error at best.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2013, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Yes the TouchScreen (digitizer) can be disabled, but I would not recommend it, there are many ways, disconnect the digitizer flex ribbon cable, using catnip to modify the calibration so it does not see the digitizer (force a software disconnect), using stop hidd (which disables the keyboard/volume/power etc...).

Best way is to fix the problem, if battery replace battery, if digitizer is dirty (oils/water/soft drink/dust) clean it, if flex cable has gotten pulled, then disconnect/reconnect (seating in the channel connector is very important).
@John - thanks for the many hints.
Sure - I'd like to fix the touch device. But so far the issue came back after a while. I get ghost touches (at certain changing columns) after a while using my Pre+. It feels like a bad connection somewhere (but at different columns of the touch matrix); but I have no idea where to fix some cable (any hints where this is documented?).

/usr/bin/catnip sounds interesting as a software solution to reset / disable and enable touch. Any information what the right parameters are to reset, disable and enable the touch screen ?
Sure I want to continue using keyboard and other working buttons.
Old 06/03/2013, 08:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
@John - thanks for the many hints.
Sure - I'd like to fix the touch device. But so far the issue came back after a while. I get ghost touches (at certain changing columns) after a while using my Pre+. It feels like a bad connection somewhere (but at different columns of the touch matrix); but I have no idea where to fix some cable (any hints where this is documented?).

/usr/bin/catnip sounds interesting as a software solution to reset / disable and enable touch. Any information what the right parameters are to reset, disable and enable the touch screen ?
Sure I want to continue using keyboard and other working buttons.
Sorry catnip is Veer, Pre3, & Touchpad tool, after further review Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+/Pre2 do not have a catnip module, and PmTpUpdater is an binary executable not a bash script.

So if you want to stop all hardware response via software (stop hidd) will stop all touches, but also keyboard, volume & power buttons etc... So disconnecting the Flex ribbon cable is the only way I can think, besides fixing the issue that is causing the ghosting?

What webOS version are you running, My daily driver is PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, which I used as my test (there might be something is older webOS versions that is why I am asking)?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Sorry catnip is Veer, Pre3, & Touchpad tool, after further review Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+/Pre2 do not have a catnip module, and PmTpUpdater is an binary executable not a bash script.
What webOS version are you running, My daily driver is PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, which I used as my test (there might be something is older webOS versions that is why I am asking)?
@John Steffes - thanks! Sorry - I lost track of this discussion and forgot to reply earlier. I still have this issue with my PrePlus (which I did not use for months now). I think this device is on webOS 2.1 (that was the highest version for the PrePlus -right ? -- not sure how you got 2.2.4 on that device?)
Would upgrading to 2.2.4 also bring the catnip along? If yes then I might consider an upgrade for that device.
Are there any parameters to fix the touch sensitivity? Perhaps I can decrease the sensitivity and the ghost touches are gone ???

EDIT: I found this discussion because of the "stop hidd" keywords.

Tags
erratic behaviour, touchscreen

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0