View Poll Results: Should I overclock my pre?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It'll be worth it

53 100.00%
  • No, itll kill your phone

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So i've heard you can turn the pre into a 1ghz phone using uberkernal I'm debating if I should or not as I heard lots of rumors of it hurting your phone. I'm getting my pre new tommorow and I dont know if I should put it on or not all I know is I want the phone to last at least 2 years or i'll have to use my back up retired htc hero
    Do it right now!
    Overclocking does shorten the life of the phone, but not significantly. Rather than a phone lasting 4 years, it may do 2.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    1-Get to know the device, depending on the way you use the phone, you may be satisfied running it stock. Go here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

2- If you want to play PDK games and find the need for more speed, then the UberKernel is for you. You may not need to run it at 1GHz, 800MHz is a choice that may work better for you. In any case the UberKernel with Govnah gives you full control of your device and makes the Pre run smoother and snappier.

Enjoy your new phone!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Honestly.. you are truly missing out of the abilities of the device by skipping out on over-clocking. Unless you plan on using your device for many years, the amount of time you lose in the phone's lifespan is negligible. If you change phones every couple/three years then jump in with both feet and don't miss out. I'm using a Sprint Pre (minus) and couldn't imagine not running the OC... it makes that much of a difference.

No matter what direction you go - enjoy your new phone!
    It definitely makes a huge difference to the phone.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    yeah. Do it. You can install uberkernel and NOT overclock initially, then crank it up as you see the need.
    i installed it recently and am happy but need to learn about the settings. I am running the uberkernel setting now only because i don't know which ones to try or not. I tried screenstate 500/1000 but battery life was worse not better.
    You'll gain new respect for the phone's capabilities. Just Do it already. I am running Screenstate 500/1000 using Govnah and the uberkernel. Your Pre will fly. Just make sure you keep your charger nearby as you will attempt to take advantage of the new found speed and will drain your battery.

Have fun with it.
    I found on the screenstate 500/1000 that even while not using the phone my battery drained quite fast, that is why i am trying other settings.
    Im sure you will find on here that everyone will pretty much tell you to do it. It makes a big difference in performance. I've never had any problems with it and the kernal itself has been tested and proven to be stable. If by chance your phone does get messed up, good ol' palm gave you a back up plan with the webOS Doctor. But you really shouldnt have problems with it.
    Along with installing uberkernel I highly recommend installing these packages

EOM overlord monitoring (under linux application in preware)

Muffle System Logging (Under patches)

Remove Dropped Packet Logging (Under patches also)

Those three will make a difference to batt life and some speed.
    I'm not going to say it's not worth it but...

I've been running on a clean Pre for a few weeks now, since I got a replacement. I started to have major problems with my old one for running a kernel ever since one was available for testing. Going back to stock really isn't bad, I occasionally get the TMC error but I'm pretty good about restarting my phone every couple of days. Not only that, my battery lasted about all of 4 hours, no matter what settings. This battery I have now is pure garbage (need a new one, but I'll hold off for a brand new phone all together), I'm guessing due to the heavy usage of the CPU.

Not to say your phone will get screwed up, I voted 'go for it' but just a fair warning.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shyam101 View Post
    So i've heard you can turn the pre into a 1ghz phone using uberkernal I'm debating if I should or not as I heard lots of rumors of it hurting your phone. I'm getting my pre new tommorow and I dont know if I should put it on or not all I know is I want the phone to last at least 2 years or i'll have to use my back up retired htc hero
    I've been overclocking since Uberkernel came out with no issues at all. I was even overclocking before Uberkernel with Superkernel (I think that was the name). Maybe the life of my phone will be decreased, but I see no sign of it yet.

It is definitely worth it, it makes the Pre run the way it should have always run from the beginning.

Also, don't forget to install Govnah to control what speed you're running at and when (I use Screenstate 500/1000).

Kevin
    DDT1345
  15.    #15  
    Hmm...well I will install preware of course because it should be shipped at my house now... Im still worried because of the USB door screen cracking issue so opening the usb door should make a crack from charging too much... and if i overclock itll drain my battery more...(Proublly wont get a touchstone till 5-8 months and also still rumors of it breaking even with a touchstone)(I take care of my phones as well and want this phone to last 2 year minunum as the palm by then will have better phones and also said that next month they will annouce the palm tablet and more things) Im switching from android thats why im asking the palm pre was my first phone and i love it unfrotantly i only had it for 3 days as my first phone (sprint navigation was getting errors from updates so picked android htc hero, android is great as open-source but not eye candy at all so it kindve annoys me i know its little but still) Hopefully palm makes a phone simular to the samsun epic with a keyboard slide out like that and fixes the hardware issues so i dont have to worry about this a lot.... I'm still afraid of the usb door cracking the screen so I wont use uberkernel unless someone proves me that I'm wrong
    Last edited by shyam101; 01/12/2011 at 11:16 AM.
  16.    #16  
    Hmm...well I will install preware of course because it should be shipped at my house now... Im still worried because of the USB door screen cracking issue so opening the usb door should make a crack from charging too much... and if i overclock itll drain my battery more...(Proublly wont get a touchstone till 5-8 months and also still rumors of it breaking even with a touchstone)(I take care of my phones as well and want this phone to last 2 year minunum as the palm by then will have better phones and also said that next month they will annouce the palm tablet and more things) Im switching from android thats why im asking the palm pre was my first phone and i love it unfrotantly i only had it for 3 days as my first phone (sprint navigation was getting errors from updates so picked android htc hero, android is great as open-source but not eye candy at all so it kindve annoys me i know its little but still) Hopefully palm makes a phone simular to the samsun epic with a keyboard slide out like that and fixes the hardware issues so i dont have to worry about this a lot.... I'm still afraid of the usb door cracking the screen so I wont use uberkernel unless someone proves me that I'm wrong
    Not only that but i heard issues with the overclocking turning the device off

(edit)
    Well...After reading your posts you guys made me think of doing it I did it like this 1 year of usage then ill run a kernel who knows we might have a 1.4 hz kernel by then xD.. Anyone have advice on the usb door cracks and do they happen very often?
    Last edited by shyam101; 01/12/2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Hmm...well I will install preware of course because it should be shipped at my house now... Im still worried because of the USB door screen cracking issue so opening the usb door should make a crack from charging too much...
    Use a touch stone. I never use USB. Except for doctoring and installing preware
    EDIT: So not using the door may help.
    and if i overclock itll drain my battery more...(Proublly wont get a touchstone till 5-8 months and also still rumors of it breaking even with a touchstone)(I take care of my phones as well and want this phone to last 2 year minunum as the palm by then will have better phones and also said that next month they will annouce the palm tablet and more things)
    Wrong. There are kernels and settings available which actually givs you longer battery life. And as said: Buy a touchstone NOW.
    I'm still afraid of the usb door cracking the screen so I wont use uberkernel unless someone proves me that I'm wrong
    You are wrong. Alot of us have day one pres without that issue.
    And what has the USB door todo with the kernel?

But nobody will tell you that you will not get the USB problem and that your oc'ed pre will last 2 years.

EDIT BTW: Please use paragraphs in your text. It will get much more readable.
    The only thing that you will get by not OC'ing is frustration. But if that's what you're into, then by all means, don't overclock your phone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The only thing that you will get by not OC'ing is frustration. But if that's what you're into, then by all means, don't overclock your phone.
    Sorry but I don't agree. You can still use the pre without oc.
    I did it for some time and wasn't frustrated ;-)
    @shyam101: Decide by yourself.
    OC definitely made the phone more enjoyable to use so I recommend it.
    Also as mentioned get a TS. You can get them dirt cheap now and they make charging your phone a breeze. I have two in the house and one in the car.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast