1.    #1  
    I've had a computer that has ran either Vista or Windows 7 since I got my Pre and both of them would drop there wireless connection when I attached the Palm Pre via USB. I think Windows is trying to use the Pre as a modem, but this is obviously not going work. Under Vista, I could disable and re-enable my wireless and everything would work fine, but that does not seem to be working on Windows 7. If I have to, I can try an actual cat 5 cable, but this computer is a desktop and that is not a practical solution.

This is quite a problem since I'm trying to develop with Project Ares. Has anyone had a similar issue and know what the fix is?
  2.    #2  
    I am using a USB Wi-Fi Dongle, but this problem only occurs with the Pre. Hard Drives, Flash Drives, Cameras, Headsets, and my Drobo don't cause the same problem. Perhaps I'll try moving the USB dongle to a different set of ports. Sometimes power distribution varies from USB port to USB port.
    I really like Guy's theory too, good call! Perhaps also try making sure the phone is fully charged before connecting it via usb with the wifi dongle so that current draw will be minimal. The pre is happy to have a full amp from the wall charger, so i'm sure it'll take every bit of the 500ma it can get from the usb bus.
  4.    #4  
    So I tried to move the Wireless USB Dongle to the Front ports where I normally plug the Pre in, but I encountered the same result.

This morning, I plugged the Pre in right from the charger and it caused the same situation. I don't think I have a PCI wireless card, but I'll look around. I know that I also have a second USB Wireless Dongle. I'll try that one as well.
  5.    #5  
    So I know that the Pre does not cause any problems with a hard wired ethernet connection on my computer. Combine that with the general lack of replies, I am going to assume this issue is probably hardware specific to the USB Wireless receiver that I am using.
    Yeah, it sounds most likely hardware (or driver) specific to your dongle. Trying out the second dongle that you have will be very telling.
  7.    #7  
    I tried out the second one, but there are no drivers for Windows 7, so that kind of killed that plan.
    You can probably get away with Vista drivers if you can find those. Or if you know what kind of chipset the dongle is based off of, you can usually find generic reference drivers for that type of chip.
    Same thing happens to me, I have to unplug the usb for wireless adapter, I have a Netgear something and plug it back in...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    You can probably get away with Vista drivers if you can find those. Or if you know what kind of chipset the dongle is based off of, you can usually find generic reference drivers for that type of chip.
    I tried the Vista drivers, but they didn't work in this case.
    I'd be interested to see both of you guys who are having trouble post your exact model # for your dongles. That way we'll be able to see if they are the same make or at least determine if they use the same chip-set.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Your problem may be that you're using a wireless usb stick. Right?
    Its juice supply is interrupted or messed up every time you connect another usb device, such as the Pre.

Not sure how to fix this. I ended up rebuilding my system and added more Watts.
    How about a powered usb hub? That should fix it, eh?
    I know exactly what the problem is. I had the same problem and went through every forum (pre and windows) to find a fix. If you are seeing a new wireless connection in your network adapters that says something like virtual network something, I can help you solve your issue. Do you have or ever have installed the Sun Virtual Box to do a Doctor, PDK, or SDK?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by LessbDAchozn1 View Post
    I know exactly what the problem is. I had the same problem and went through every forum (pre and windows) to find a fix. If you are seeing a new wireless connection in your network adapters that says something like virtual network something, I can help you solve your issue. Do you have or ever have installed the Sun Virtual Box to do a Doctor, PDK, or SDK?
    That is exactly what I am seeing. I have installed the SDK and VM since I do occasional development on the Palm Pre. When I plug my Pre in, the Wireless connection is ignored and the virtual connection seems to take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I'd be interested to see both of you guys who are having trouble post your exact model # for your dongles. That way we'll be able to see if they are the same make or at least determine if they use the same chip-set.
    I have a Netgear WN121T wireless usb adapter...
    What is the name of the virtual device called, I got to look up the process I found again. It happens when you install the Virtual Box. You can try running the Virtual Box installer again and uncheck the option for Virtual Network Adapter.
    ahhhh, I just noticed that! If I uncheck that will the SDK stop working?
    Here is one of the articles I remember using for stopping the process About the Wireless Hosted Network (Windows). You have to use the command line commands to manually stop the process, remember to create a restore point before starting this process.
    As far as I know the only thing that uses the virtual network adapter (when talking about WebOS) is the emulator when connecting to the internet.
  20.    #20  
    I've got a Trendnet TEW-424UB Adapter. Virtual Box is also bugging me to update to the newest version, so I'll try LessbDAchozn1's solution in the next few days and report back.