Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I was wondering....does the cold weather affect battery dranage? I had my pre in the trunk of a coworkers car today. It was cold in dallas....it was 100% in the morning...took it out at noon it was 63% then a few mins later it dropped to 0. Then like 2 mins later it jumped to 3%. And I was able to use my cell for 2 hrs after.
    Someone else had a post about a fast drain in the cold, when they left it in the glove compartment of their car. I'm not sure if they ever determined why or if it had to do with the cold, at all.

What do you have running? If the phone is on, the battery is going to drain, even if you aren't using it. Especially if 3G, GPS and other apps are on.

Another question is how old is the battery?

You could always use Battery Doctor from Preware to check the battery health.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have those gps apps and crap off. When I use them it asks to allow location services.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I think I found the answer....could this be accurate?

What Is the Effect of Cold on a LiPo Battery? | eHow.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnatki View Post
    I think I found the answer....could this be accurate?

What Is the Effect of Cold on a LiPo Battery? | eHow.com
    Wow, I would have thought they would do better in the cold, but I guess there is a point where they don't.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The article is about Lithium Polymer batteries like in the iPhone.
    Palm is using Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries but you will see the same problem on them.
    They operate between 0 and 60 celsius. Other temperature can damage the battery.
    How will temperature affect a Li-Ion battery?
    Li-ion batteries are designed for operating environments from 0C to 60C. Hot spots within the device caused by the terminals components as well as usage in extreme temperatures (either hot or cold) can cause premature degradation of the cells or electronics within the battery.
    http://www.lxe.com/uploadedFiles/pdf...nBatteries.pdf
    yes, extremely cold weather will drain the battery like there's no tomorrow. i left my pre in the car at 100%, completely powered off, while going snowboarding and came back to an almost-empty battery. if you have to deal with extreme temperatures, and don't have to use the phone, then remove the battery. that helps a lot.

the other option is to keep the phone in a warmer spot on your body so that it doesn't get really cold.