Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When i set up my e-mail, my messages come in, but will not go out. I tried every possible combination for my Pre's outgoing passwords, logins, thinking I must be missing something.

i called Sprint and they told me that I can no longer send messages out on their network. Ugh, that make no sense.

Say it ain't so. Are you guys able to send out e-mails on your Sprint smtp accounts. I was just getting messages before I got my new phone so I'm skeptical.

Haha, maybe I should just call back and see if I get someone else. But you all know how frustrating CS can be.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I think that person misunderstood your question. That's definitely not something they would prevent from their phones. A sprint user will probably be able to post the settings when they see your question here.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think that person misunderstood your question. That's definitely not something they would prevent from their phones. A sprint user will probably be able to post the settings when they see your question here.
    Thanks!

I was using my old setting that I had written down because when I change phones, I can never remember them, and they aren't working. I use Comcast for my incoming server and there's no problem there.

I noticed my teen's outgoing messages weren't working on her new Pre either, but I wasn't that concerned with hers. lol

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    My Pre was on Sprint and I never had a problem, don't on my Evo, either.

There has to be something wrong with the settings. I used Gmail, so I don't know what they are for Comcast on the outgoing server.

What they are talking about as being discontinued is the old email address and account that you used to be given that was on the Sprint servers. You use to get one that was something like username@sprint.pcsvision.com or something like. They have done away with all of those ones and they will no longer work.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Trying to find some Comcast server information for you:

Inbound: mail.comcast.net - port 110 - no SSL

Outbound: smtp.comcast.net - authorization required - port 587 - no SSL
    I also just tried sending from my Evo on Sprint, through my Gmail account to another one of my email addys and had no problem sending it.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Verwon,

I honestly don't know what's going on, I'm totally confused and frustrated. I know before i could not use comcast's outgoing server and had to use Sprints.

They told me that I could use an Gmail server or Google. I have a google account but to forward requires a premium.

I'm baffled and I think I'm going to go back some cookies for now.

YOu mean Comcast requires money to forward your email?

Because, I don't think forwarding it into Gmail costs anything, that would only be to have your Gmail forwarded to some other account.

If you do use Gmail, your Pre will automatically configure that account for you, when you select Gmail.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    YOu mean Comcast requires money to forward your email?

Because, I don't think forwarding it into Gmail costs anything, that would only be to have your Gmail forwarded to some other account.

If you do use Gmail, your Pre will automatically configure that account for you, when you select Gmail.
    No, I had my phone originally set up using sprint's outgoing service. I was told that I would need to use Google or Gmail, I have a Google account but to forward my current email account to their email now is a premium service.

I just don't believe that sprint has dropped the service. I could open up an gmail account but I'd rather see if my sprint account could be used as before.

Thanks

No, Sprint has definitely dropped their email service, they formally announced it a long time ago.

Sprint discontinuing @sprintpcs.com email service : EVDOforums.com

Sprint PCS Mail service to be discontinued

Sprint Mobile Email Discontinued ! [Archive] - SprintUsers.com

"Sprint PCS Mail discontinued" question

NOw, I'm not sure if what they had you using was something different. I'm going to go browse the Sprint site and see if I can find anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    No, Sprint has definitely dropped their email service, they formally announced it a long time ago.

Sprint discontinuing @sprintpcs.com email service : EVDOforums.com

Sprint PCS Mail service to be discontinued

Sprint Mobile Email Discontinued ! [Archive] - SprintUsers.com

"Sprint PCS Mail discontinued" question

NOw, I'm not sure if what they had you using was something different. I'm going to go browse the Sprint site and see if I can find anything.
    Ahhh, are you saying that sprint is no longer supporting an email domain and/or smtp gateway for email? That makes sense.

To the OP, if I understand what verwon posted it just means you have to use a gmail/comcast/yahoo/whatever email address and the email settings for those services.
    Okay, from what I am finding, it appears that outgoing SMTP is still supposed to work, here's a thread with instructions on how some got it to work on the Pre:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...-accounts.html
    Here are the instructions for people that were using sprints email service:

PCS Mail Decommissioning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Ahhh, are you saying that sprint is no longer supporting an email domain and/or smtp gateway for email? That makes sense.

To the OP, if I understand what verwon posted it just means you have to use a gmail/comcast/yahoo/whatever email address and the email settings for those services.
    From what I've researched, they left the outgoing SMTP up for people that use cable email accounts, such as Comcast, who can't use their outgoing server from their mobile phones.

However, they no longer support it, won't tell you how to use it and there are no guarantees for how long it will be available for anyone to use.
    They've also made a change recently to offer NextMail on all Sprint phones, so this may be having an effect on the servers they used to use for regular email:

NextMail Services – From Sprint
    You may need to delete that email account from your phone and then re-add it. I have problems with mine sometimes and that seems to fix it.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I have email through GoDaddy and use their smtp server without trouble.

Some email servers do not like routing email from a network other than their own. In that case people were instructed to use Sprints smtp server instead.

Some email servers require POP before send when routing email through a non-sprint smpt server. There is no such setting on the Palm Pre. May possibly work if you check email right before sending.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre with Comcast e-mail and I had to do nothing special to get my Comcast on it just went through the normal set up. I can send and receive without a problem. My only complaint is that they won't sync, if I read my Comcast mail on the web it doesn't show it as read on my Pre and vice versa. I would delete your Comcast accout from the Pre and recreate it, just putting in the basic info to get started i.e. email address and password. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Comcast is probably not allowing you to sent to their smtp server from Sprint.

Get a different account (I suggest Gmail) and use that account to send. Even if you only use the Gmail account to send, your problem is solved.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    Comcast is probably not allowing you to sent to their smtp server from Sprint.

Get a different account (I suggest Gmail) and use that account to send. Even if you only use the Gmail account to send, your problem is solved.
    Thanks, I opened up a Gmail last night after giving up on Sprints outgoing server. Now I've got to figure out the right settings.

On the phone with Sprint CS, but of course I have someone trying to get me to get Sprints to work now. So eventually i guess it will be worked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast