1.    #1  
    I have the Palm Pre Plus and whenever anyone who doesn't have a Palm Pre Plus sends me a text message over 160 characters, it splits it up, but I only receive the first message. I don't even get the error message about how the previous message was modified. The second one just never comes. Anyone experience this problem? If so, how can I fix it?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I have seen something similar. The txt was split & the message seemed to have missing bits. No idea on a fix.....
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    SMS messages are (arbitrarily) limited to 160 characters. Longer messages are split into multiple messages.

I wish the carriers would fix this, but they show no propensity to do so. The limit is not associated with any hardware or software requirement. It was just the way SMS was set up initially because, of course, no one would need to text more than 160 characters.
    the messages being split up after 140/160 characters is something you cannot change. As for you not receiving the other parts of the message, this seems to be a problem related to the networks. I have had that issue many times and after going through tech support and what not, the only thing left was the network, either yours or the one from the person sending the message. Have you tried restarting your pre+? That usually gets me my messages.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    of course,. the arbitrary short limit might have something to do with the name: short message system. When it was concieved most phones weren't even digital yet.
    I have had 6 pre's and all of them will get blank messages from iPhones if the sender send a message like this "Hay!!! I got a New ____!!!!!!", it will work if they send "Hay! I got a new _____!". If the sender sends to many !@#$%^&*.,;'/? it will just show blank.
    Odd! The only problem I had was when messages were split, because they were over 160 characters, it would sometimes take a little while to get the 2nd half.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpperLow View Post
    I have the Palm Pre Plus and whenever anyone who doesn't have a Palm Pre Plus sends me a text message over 160 characters, it splits it up, but I only receive the first message. I don't even get the error message about how the previous message was modified. The second one just never comes. Anyone experience this problem? If so, how can I fix it?
    When I first got my Sprint Pre, I found that people on other carriers (especially AT&T) would have the same issue sending me a text over 160. My Pre would only receive the first part. The way I found to fix it was to, first send them a text and have them reply to it with a text below 160 characters and then with one above 160. I only had to do it once per carrier.
    Has the OP seen any pattern such as this happening only when sent from another carrier, or only from the sames carrier?

I've been working on a similar issue which generates a weird error, but only when sent from a verizon feature phone to me. Not when from another smart phone, or another carrier, or from me to the featurephone.

In the OP case, part of the question revolves around the carrier it's coming from and going to, and from what device. For example, my daughter's sprint BlackBerry wont let her type more than 160 characters in an sms. My wife's phone let's her excede the character limit and knows to split it.

But not every carrier handles sms transport exactly the same way, so additional variables/errors can be introduced when the sms is handed off to the receiving network.

I'm guessing that your issue (and mine) is more of a carrier issue than a webOS issue but I'm still figuring it out. Any additional info the OP can provide about carriers, phones, etc. might shed some light on this.