1.    #1  
    Just recently got a Pre, replacing a crackberry, and am not sure if the problem is mine, a patch or the phone. It seems every time I receive or make a phone call my screen goes black. The problem is I can not get it back ! Tapping or swiping up in the gesture area accomplishes nothing; hitting the power on/off button--nada; using the app that turns off the phone when either party hangs up--zilch. This is especially galling when I complete a call and the phone rings with a new, incoming call--and the screen remains, of course, black.

So is it me, the apps or the machine? If it is me or the app let me know and I will do my best to correct it. If it is the machine, well, I can always take it back to Bell and get a new one I assume ( its all of 10 or 15 days old ). Don't get me wrong, I like the phone--been using palm's for years--just want to know how to make it as functional as possible.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.
    It has a proximity sensor that is supposed to turn it off during calls. But it should turn back on when done. Do you have a screen protector on it?

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Not sure if this tests the prox sensor but go to Device Info > Prefs > Tests > Quick Tests and see your results.
    I had a prox sensor go out on me once so yours could be faulty..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawyl View Post
    Just recently got a Pre, replacing a crackberry, and am not sure if the problem is mine, a patch or the phone. It seems every time I receive or make a phone call my screen goes black. The problem is I can not get it back ! Tapping or swiping up in the gesture area accomplishes nothing; hitting the power on/off button--nada; using the app that turns off the phone when either party hangs up--zilch. This is especially galling when I complete a call and the phone rings with a new, incoming call--and the screen remains, of course, black.
    Something that you can try is verifying if the proximity sensor is working at all. First launch Device Info (you can type Device and then click Device Info icon if you can't find it). Next swiped down on the top left where it says "Preferences" and select the Tests menu item. From here you will select the Interactive Tests. The one that you want to use first is the Screen Tests. This has a test of the proximity sensor as well as a few other things.

When you get to the proximity section - if the sensor is broken and sending all the time you will feel the phone vibrate BEFORE you cover the screen with your hand. If it is working normally it will wait until you cover it before it vibrates. Sadly there isn't any confirmation that the proximity sensor has been uncovered built it that I saw but you can at least test this far.

Honestly this sounds like a defective proximity sensor.
    There have also been problems caused from some screen protectors covering it.

Posted from my eVo!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the advice. It seems to pass all the tests--no screen protector ( though I did buy one of those films to stick on--holding off for now); it did pass the tests in terms of not vibrating until I put my hand over the screen. I have made some calls and once it worked like normal and 2 other times not. I am assuming a faulty sensor and getting a new one. Thanks for the advice, was hoping I wasn't nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    There have also been problems caused from some screen protectors covering it.
    Good point - I saw your earlier question and didn't think to mention that again. I have seen some full sized screen covers that have cut outs for the earpiece and that worked on a friends phone but I wonder if he was lucky or if those were different or if the one's that caused problems had a smaller cutout?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawyl View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It seems to pass all the tests--no screen protector ( though I did buy one of those films to stick on--holding off for now); it did pass the tests in terms of not vibrating until I put my hand over the screen. I have made some calls and once it worked like normal and 2 other times not. I am assuming a faulty sensor and getting a new one. Thanks for the advice, was hoping I wasn't nuts.
    You're welcome. One more thing. I had my phone do that ONCE. I shut down and pulled battery and then restarted and it never did it again. I can't explain why it happened or why it never has again.
    Welcome!

The only problem I ever had with the proximity sensor on the Pre, was that it was always a little slow to respond, when I moved the phone away to do something. It was a pain when I was on an automated system and had to keep punching in different numbers.
  10.    #10  
    Tried that battery trick and it appears to have also assisted. Made 3 calls and no problems! I hope that black screen phase is now behind me. I am now wondering--as I am a klutzy old fart--if dropping it may have started the problem. I did juggle it and drop it a few feet onto my desk or the floor. Mayhap I loosened the battery or did something internal that replacing the battery fixed?!?

In a related vein I did pick up the ishieldz touch screen film to protect the touch screen. Should I avoid using this and just get some cleaning fluid and cloths to keep the screen clean?

As always any advice is welcome.