Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone else have a problem with the phone just shutting down while it is overclocked at 800 or 1000 mhz. Every now and then I take my phone out of my pocket, go to turn it on and it has completely shutdown. I am using Govnah with the UberKernal (Pre/Pre+). Any thoughts or suggestions?
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine has done that a couple times. Also it seems to restart every now and then when I take it off the charger, open up the launcher and move to different pages. It will freeze then restart. I'm thinking thats because it is switching speeds while I'm trying to do stuff. It rarely happens. But yeah, sometimes I will have that problem with it shutting off in my pocket. Maybe it has something to do with the power button being pressed too long? I dont know. Again, it rarely happens.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have had this problem recently too. I am overclocked at 800 fixed, and twice in the past week the phone has shut down. I too thought that maybe the button was getting pushed, but holding the button brings up a shutdown menu, and that would also need to be pressed to shut the phone down.
  4.    #4  
    I don't think it is the power button because I have an otter box case on it and the power botton is somewhat protected from being pushed while in my pocket.
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I didn't think it was the power button either. That was just the only logical explanation I could think of. lol. It only happens in my pocket. Ive never had my phone just completely shut down while on the charger or just holding it. So I don't know.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby71 View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with the phone just shutting down while it is overclocked at 800 or 1000 mhz. Every now and then I take my phone out of my pocket, go to turn it on and it has completely shutdown. I am using Govnah with the UberKernal (Pre/Pre+). Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I had flakyness with my Pre- when it ran at 1Ghz. I updated the Govnah profile to not exceed 800Mhz and it's much more stable. Might want to fix it at 720 (or set your max to 720) just to see if it's happier.

-Geof
    Or you can increase the voltage a bit for 800MHz in Govnah...

If it's happening in your pocket, it sounds like the loose battery issue. You can test it by slamming the keyboard shut a few times and if will shut off when you do that. The fix is to get the battery replaced under warranty, or wedge it in with a business card.

If it's not that, then the suggestion above regarding voltage might help. Also, check your CPU temp when it has been in your pocket. I'm pretty sure Govnah has a mechanism that shuts the phone off at a specific (and dangerous) temperature.
    i agree with the voltage. right now im seeing how low of a voltage i can run at certain speeds, and when it drops too low it will either restart the phone or just plain shut down.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i had uberkernel 500/800 screenstate and pre randomly shuts down itself once or twice a day.
    now - after removing uberkernel and govnah - there were no such problems for three days
    I personally did not have this happen on my phone, I just installed uberkernel 500/800 on a friends phone and it did shut down 2 times. i went in to look and it seem the temp reset and tem limit settings were set to 33 so i made them 53 and 50 and it is fine, it is running well and does not hiccup at all now. i did not understand why it was set so low since the defaults for that kernel are 55/50..
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If it's happening in your pocket, it sounds like the loose battery issue. You can test it by slamming the keyboard shut a few times and if will shut off when you do that. The fix is to get the battery replaced under warranty, or wedge it in with a business card.

If it's not that, then the suggestion above regarding voltage might help. Also, check your CPU temp when it has been in your pocket. I'm pretty sure Govnah has a mechanism that shuts the phone off at a specific (and dangerous) temperature.
    I don't think is has anything to do with the battery because this never happened before when I was not overclocking!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Happens here too, quite regularly. Right now it's happening maybe twice a week. It usually happens when the phone's in Airplane mode sitting on my bedside table (and therefore probably nothing to do with a loose battery). Quite worrying if I have an alarm set on it...
    experienced it too.

i use uberkernal/govnah ever since it was stable, always used a screenstate profile, always used 1ghz since it was available, never had any irregular behaviour.

this week i updated govnah and since then it happened at least one time. very non-spectacular situation: phone lies on table.

when i think back it might had happened a second time overnight but i was suspecting the battery to have ran empty when i woke up in the morning and the phone did not.

so as i read this thread i was checking temp settings and they are all ok 55/50.

but updating govnah caused the profile to switch to uberkernal default userspace governor and i missed setting it back to screenstate after the update. so for me it happened only after 1) installing current govnah and 2) userspace.

so i set it back to screenstate 500/1000 and see if it happens again.
    This has happened to me twice in the past week, but it used to happen now and then with the stock kernel, too. I doubt it has anything to do with over-clocking.
    My suggestion is that you select the Palm Default profile and run with that for a while and see if the problem persists. Let's know the result.
  17. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    My Pre on F105 did it all the time, always while sitting on my TS overnight, so it's not the power switch or a loose battery. Makes it difficult to wake up with the alarm in the morning. I switched to AV8B and so far so good. My wife's Pre running F105 has done it once or twice as well, not lately though.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    oki... happened again with screenstate 500/1000.

never happened before govnah 0.7.7 for me, but dont know what version was on before that
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    My Pre on F105 did it all the time, always while sitting on my TS overnight, so it's not the power switch or a loose battery. Makes it difficult to wake up with the alarm in the morning. I switched to AV8B and so far so good. My wife's Pre running F105 has done it once or twice as well, not lately though.
    Since it was on the TouchStone it shouldn't remain off, but automatically restart and your alarm should still be set, even through a restart.

I personally never had any restart issues while running UK on my Pre minus. I ran mine at 500/800 screen state and 800 fixed.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I don't think is has anything to do with the battery because this never happened before when I was not overclocking!!!!!!!
    Maybe not, but I wouldn't discount this completely. I was having the exact same issue and my initial instinct also was because of the OC. I've since wedged a folded up Post-It note in with the battery and it hasn't happened to me since then.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast