Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I just went it and got my 4th replacement palm pre. None of which have been my fault, all have been internal problems, camera didnt work on one, modem fried on the next, and microphone stopped working on the last one. So sprint gives me another replacement. This time the build quality is absolutely terrible. I've spent over two hours on the phone with customer service. The screen looks as if it still has the protective plastic on it, Its extremely blurry, and small text cannot be read. After trying 2 stores, they wont replace it, because "its a cosmetic defect" *** its not my fault! I've had so many replacements they tried to offer me a refurbished blackberry, htc hero, or palm pixi. All of which are terrible compared to the palm pre.

Anyone have any ideas what to do? Sprint won't help me at all.
    I think there is an option that the store management has or techs have that has something to do with a replacement being defective within 30 days they can replace with a new phone. At least that is how it was explained to me when I was at sprint having my pre replaced for the 5th time and I pointed out that the refurb they just handed me was loose and the slider seemed to be falling apart in my hand. They got a new pre out of the box,handed me all the accesories that comes with it and finished up the paperwork. Also, I was frendly and helpful and they know me by now with all the replacements i've had. I don't know if it's a rule or just an option that they can exercise out of customer service needs. Good luck
    also, maybe try a different store, maybe someone on the forum could recommend a friendly store based on where you live
    Good luck, please let me know if you do get anything or an exchange because I received my 5th Pre and it has the headset defect. (Just like my previous phone, hence why I needed it replaced.)

But they won't replace it..

By the way, are you still under warranty?
  5.    #5  
    My palm one year warranty is up, but i have sprint Total Equipment Protection, the insurance that's $7 a month that guarantees replacement
    A regular insurance replacement, through Asurion, can be filed for anything, but will cost you the $100 deductible.

The reason they won't replace with a new Pre, is because Sprint no longer has them.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickafreeman View Post
    My palm one year warranty is up, but i have sprint Total Equipment Protection, the insurance that's $7 a month that guarantees replacement
    Ah.. Gotcha, I'm sure you'll have a little more luck than me because I don't have TEP.
    Ha I went into a Sprint store about a month ago coz my Pre just up and died; they gave me a refurb and on my way back home I noticed the speaker didn't work. After having re-installed all my apps and palm profile I drove back to the store so they took out another but before I left the store I tested all the functions and the second also had a problem, thank God I hadn't left the store yet. The third one was good but I spent like 3 hours in the store. He told me if the 3rd one had had a problem too that they would have to give me a new one out of the box. I guess you never know with these refurbs - now that they don't have new ones left it's gonna be kinda rough.

Praying this one holds out till the coming months.
    Good thing I still have eight months left on my warranty. Always better to get your phone repaired by professionals than to get a replacement that's been through who knows how many people.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10.    #10  
    I've had enough, cant take this screen anymore its making me so annoyed looking at this terrible quality screen. does anyone know what i can do to get a new one?
    You can try a Sprint repair center for a fix, if you go through Asurion, you'll get a refurb, not a new one.

Posted from my eVo!
    I had a similar experience with a Pre replacement through Sprint. First thing I did was shoot an e-mail to Dan@Sprint.com. Explaining how ridiculous it was that my refurb wasn't even looked over and checked by my local Sprint store before they handed it to me. Then I started negotiating with the store itself and ended up with a brand new Pre.

That was about a week before the Pre went EOL though, so who knows if there are enough still laying around in stores to make that happen. Hell, the store manager had to drive to an out-of-town store to get mine for me.

Come play with my Twitter.
    Screw the warranty. Go Plus!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    A regular insurance replacement, through Asurion, can be filed for anything, but will cost you the $100 deductible.

The reason they won't replace with a new Pre, is because Sprint no longer has them.
    I just got my 9th replacement, this time due to a bad refurb speaker (could barely hear the phone call) and they replaced it with a brand new one that night. Previously, I've had the USB crack replaced and they tried to use the "cosmetic defect" excuse so I came back at a later date and told them that the crack was affecting the touchscreen capability but that it wasn't all of the time...replaced with a bad refurb. Up until now, they've given me refurbs and the quality has been abysmal (bad keyboards, half-lit keyboards, bad speaker, terrible oreo wiggle) but my latest phone that i got 2 days ago is brand new ( and they allowed me to keep the accessories, too) but I do have the $7 insurance if that matters to anyone. I'm telling you, a little pity and sweet talking goes a long way sometimes. You just need to do it on the right rep at Sprint.

This new phone should get me to the new hardware and software coming out "in the coming months".
    I must be lucky, my referb was better than my new phone.
    This is why Sprint decided not to carry the pre 2...
    Let's all blame Sprint for the Pres poor build quality.

(I went through 12 pres by the way)
    Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    This is why Sprint decided not to carry the pre 2...
    Let's all blame Sprint for the Pres poor build quality.

(I went through 12 pres by the way)
    Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk Pro
    Let me guess: 11 of those were insurance replacements.

i just returned my 5th pre (my wife is on here 3rd) and they ended up giving me a new Samsung Transform. So.. I am sorry to say.. that I am no longer on webOS. My wife is still on her 3rd pre, but her keyboard is going and I just haven't the time or the patience to go back and get another phone for her (maybe next week).

Anyways.. the Sprint staff has always been very helpful and trying to resolve issues (except, they would not let me pay the difference to get the EVO, without redoing my contract, which I don't want to do at this time). I do think that I know more about the smartphone (Android, webOS, & iOS) than the people working there though. so take what they say with a grain of salt. For Example, the last time I was there I asked about the blockbuster app on the EVO, and the Sprint employee said it was built in "the memory" from the manufacture and had nothing to do with sprint (LOL.. I just nodded).

Anyways.. back to your post, I agree that the replacements have not been very good. and to be patient and get one you are happy with.

(I am sorry to leave webOS, but I need epocrates, it was a make it or break it app for me. Nevermind I have been using a palm x11 years).
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    I just got my 9th replacement, this time due to a bad refurb speaker (could barely hear the phone call) and they replaced it with a brand new one that night. Previously, I've had the USB crack replaced and they tried to use the "cosmetic defect" excuse so I came back at a later date and told them that the crack was affecting the touchscreen capability but that it wasn't all of the time...replaced with a bad refurb. Up until now, they've given me refurbs and the quality has been abysmal (bad keyboards, half-lit keyboards, bad speaker, terrible oreo wiggle) but my latest phone that i got 2 days ago is brand new ( and they allowed me to keep the accessories, too) but I do have the $7 insurance if that matters to anyone. I'm telling you, a little pity and sweet talking goes a long way sometimes. You just need to do it on the right rep at Sprint.

This new phone should get me to the new hardware and software coming out "in the coming months".

I no longer use the Pre, so it doesn't matter to me. I've given up on it.
    I'm on my fifth pre, second replacement from sprint (others were through best buy plan). After my speaker and headset both stopped working, sprint sent me a replacement that keeps turning on by itself...and the headset sounds like it's ready to short out (sounds tinny). I don't blame sprint for the pres poor build, but a little quality control wouldn't hurt.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast