1.    #1  
    A problem has developed recently between my laptop and connecting the Palm Pre+ via USB port.

When I plug in the Palm cable, the Palm display gives me the 3 options; I choose USB. The PC displays a screen that it wants to "scan" the plugged in device (I'm using Vista). I've chosen to ignore this dialog box.

I'm able to edit and review files on the Pre with the PC. When I use the PC to disconnect the Pre, the PC dialog box says it's OK to disconnect. When I disconnect the USB cable, a message on the Pre is displayed warning me that some of the files have been corrupted and I should eject the Pre.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this problem? This problem only started 2 days ago.
    Sounds like you have been using the "safely remove USB device" options down in the system tray. That is not how you are supposed to disconnect the Pre.

When you Pre is connected go to the "My Computer" app, then in the drives section you will see "Pre". Right click on that and select "Eject". When your Pre screen goes back to the "just charging" screen and you can see your wallpaper, you are properly disconnected.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much. I suppose I've been really lucky doing it the wrong way.
  4.    #4  
    Can I just continue to ignore the "scan" dialog box that shows up on my Vista PC when I plug the Pre into the PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by precal.hdh View Post
    Can I just continue to ignore the "scan" dialog box that shows up on my Vista PC when I plug the Pre into the PC?
    It won't hurt anything to click it and allow it to scan. Once it does and you eject it properly, the notification shouldn't return.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    There's a lot of threads about USB drive mode problems, and I'm picking this one because it seems the most recent: After having successfully used the USB drive mode just today, now it won't go: I plug the cable, select that mode on my Pre and... Nothing happens, the PC doesn't see the "disk", which usually pops up as "E:" in "My PC".

A quick visit to the Windows Device Manager reveals that the device is indeed there, even recognized as "mass storage device", but with an exclamation sign over it. Its instance is "USB\VID_0830&PID_8002&MI_00\6&600E9A&0&0000".

A disable/enable cycle won't help, and I unplug. It seems, somehow, that my Pre has forgotten to talk the "massstorage.class" language... By the way, the little yellow arrow over the baterry is sticking there, even now that it's unplugged! A hint, maybe?

A second unplug, and that charging mark dissapears. But still, no luck. Although the "novacom" service says it's running, I restart it. Then, I attempted to connect to the Pre's console with "novaterm", and it says that can't connect to novacom. So definetly, there's something wrong.

Restarted the Pre (second time today!), and after exactly 150 unbearable and anxient seconds, it comes back as if nothing happened. Plugged in, chose USB drive and now it works.

DOH?

Is there any other trick to try, before restarting my beloved Pre?