Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For a while now every time I try to use Google maps, it won't load...even when I've got full reception and EVDO. It's really starting to annoy me because when I need it, I can't use it. Already tried restarting and junk like that but nothing helps. Anyone know what the deal is or how I can improve the situation?
    If you are on Sprint, try using the Sprint Nav app, I have been using if for a year and half now and am really happy with it. I travel for work a lot in the tri state area of CA/NV/AZ.
    Make Sure you have GPS turned on,
    You can download BFG Maps and see if that helps you.
  5.    #5  
    Ha....been thinking about it actually. I'm due for a new phone from sprint and, while I like WebOS and look forward to "the good things that are coming," I'm tired of waiting for them when i could just get an EVO and have those things now. It just seems like nothing ever happens with WebOS. No good things really ever come, GPU still isn't enabled, it takes forever for updates to land, and frankly...without homebrew, the Pre would be unbearable. I'm getting to the point where, if I'm paying money, I want something that works...not something that "has the potential to work if I just keep waiting."
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/02/2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: quoted post deleted
    bfg maps is awesome !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7.    #7  
    What is bfg maps?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quite often when Google Maps complains about no Internet connection, the solution is to go to the web browser and then to gmail.com. By logging in to ANY google service, it fixes the Gmaps problem.

That aside, I wonder if Palm has ever commented on how PATHETIC the load time is? I know the problem has been discussed in other threads, but I just don't know if Palm has ever commented on it or not. Clearly it was fast in the first few WebOS revs but Palm or Google fubar'd something at some point - and neither seems to have anything to say about it (and I don't expect google to comment, but it would be nice if Palm would).
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    What is bfg maps?
    A Google-like map you can download in the catalog
    Wonder if hp will have a more robust mapping solution for webos users in the future. I can't imagine google or Microsoft making apps for webos users especially now that they are directly competing with hp. I don't think hp has acquired a mapping company in their many acquisitions over the past year.
    Google Maps on WebOS is one of the biggest factors that is drawing me away from WebOS. Sometimes I get so fustrated I just head over to the mobile version of MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map and go from there. I personally do not like BFG Maps as a substitute of Google Maps as it is still buggy and not as clean interface (but big props to the dev and his contribution so far)
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    For all your complaining, SprintNav rocks if you'd use it.
    To the OP - are you getting a GPS signal? My wife's phone would not load Google Maps and nothing relying on GPS was working. This is a totally stock Pre Plus on Verizon and the GPS originally worked fine.

Restarting the phone didn't help but finally doing a shutdown, battery pull, wait 15 seconds or more and then reinsert and restart fixed it.

If that isn't the problem I can attest that I have recently purchased the Verizon Navigation app and while it's expensive at $10 / month it is fantastic! That's one heck of a good navigation app.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    For all your complaining, SprintNav rocks if you'd use it.
    Unless you're in a place like SF or NY. It tends to place you on the wrong street in congested cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Unless you're in a place like SF or NY. It tends to place you on the wrong street in congested cities.
    I live in Dallas and I never have problems with GPS location. I've used Google Maps in downtown Dallas and it works well to, but it's not everything that SprintNav is. It lacks about 75% of the features that SprintNav does perfectly. Also, Google Maps takes like 5 minutes to start.. Ludicrous start time. Even a PDK game takes less time than Google Maps.

But anyways, to each his own I suppose. I certainly don't have many complaints.

And to the Evo lovers: Remember this is PreCentral, not PreEvoiPhoneandeverythingelseunderthesunCentral. I mean what did you expect, we're biased!
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    To the OP - are you getting a GPS signal? My wife's phone would not load Google Maps and nothing relying on GPS was working. This is a totally stock Pre Plus on Verizon and the GPS originally worked fine.
    Yeah I'm getting a GPS signal.....GPS works just fine with other apps that use it. Google Maps has always taken a really long time to load, but it seems that now it's just failing altogether. The only time it loads remotely fast is when I'm on WiFi.....and I hesitate to say "fast." It's really such a bummer that there is no support for WebOS with regards to GMaps. Suffice it to say, I still need Maps to work and the fact that it's sketchy at best, and doesn't seem to be getting any better, makes me feel the need to start looking at other platforms. I don't want to, but it comes down to functionality.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Not sure if this will help but worth a try..

Get a GPS fix | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Google Maps is the only REALLY SLOWLY loading program on my Pre. I've just stopped using it, and I'd delete it if I could. I use Sprint Nav for everything, and when I use YP to look something up, it takes me to Bing Maps, which loade immediately. Google Maps sucks.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I've never had this problem. Sprint Nav worked perfectly in NY, Philly, LV, Sacramento, Denver, Salt Lake, and here in Reno.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast