Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A Better Way: For those of you that are just interested in Tethering your palm pre
    and want it to be as easy as possible this page is NOT FOR YOU. FreeTether provides a free, very easy way to tether your phones data connection to either USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ion:FreeTether
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-0-99-x-7.html

I've even done some time trials and there is no appreciable difference in performance between what they do and the instructions here.

Be sure to thank them or even better donate

ANSWER: yes it is possible and fairly easy to do. I am interested in knowing if it works for you brave frogs, pigs, dogs and what-evers.

Instructions:
    NAT Gateway by iptables dnsmasq - WebOS Internals

Keep in mind this is at your own risk, though the palm parts we are playing with here will usually be fixed by a reboot.

Systems Verified on
    Verizon / Palm Pre Plus / webos 1.4.5

OLD POST:
    I'm a linux user on my laptop. I've used slackware, redhat, debian, gentoo and am currently using ubuntu. Unfortunately the mobile hotspot provided by vz wireless has problems with the mainline linux kernel. Essentially, the host and client have some serious communication problems that mean that they disconnect and reconnect rapidly. This renders the service unusable.

I have a palm pre plus v 1.4.5 and am trying to use iptables to make a NAT.

Google the terms "Internet Connection Sharing Ubuntu" (without quotes) to see the guide I attempted to follow.

I ran the following commands on the command line of my pre
    Code:
    ifconfig usb0 up
    ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
    echo “1” > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -s 192.168.2.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 3074 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.2
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p udp -m multiport --dports 88,3074 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.2
    iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -d 192.168.2.2 -p tcp --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -d 192.168.2.2 -p udp -m multiport --dports 88,3074 -j ACCEPT
    I also brought up usb0 on my laptop on 192.168.2.2. I have been able to ping between the devices, but no packet forwarding has worked.

Anyone else tried something like this? is iptables on the palm pre a full version? Is the ipkg-opt version better?

EDIT:

*please do not reply with comments about how happy you are with: Hotspot, mytether, freetether etc.. I'm interested in doing this with the base Linux environment on the palm

* Check out NAT Gateway by iptables dnsmasq - WebOS Internals on the webos internals wiki for an updated method.

* I have a Verizon Carrier and palm pre plus. If you are daring, have the know how and a different phone / carrier than me please let me know if it works for you.
    Last edited by DriowOwsUv; 01/05/2011 at 11:13 AM.
    are you trying to create a NAT in front of your laptop? If you tether your laptop to your phone, I believe you will be NATed...
    I use freetether and use the pre on usb0 interface for my Buntu. Work good for Puppy too. It keeps it charged while you tether and can run in usb mode tethered with no interference with the connection.
    Have you also configured your routing table correctly ?
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Have you also configured your routing table correctly ?
    oooh thanks for that! Apparently I started the config with my usb subnet in the 192.168.0 family and never changed my routing table on my laptop to the 192.168.2 when I changed :/

I can now ping Google (actually 72.14.204.147) through my pre.

Now I just have to get dns working
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are you trying to create a NAT in front of your laptop? If you tether your laptop to your phone, I believe you will be NATed...
    Yes I believe this is the same thing tethering accomplishes. I just wanted to attempt it with the basic tools already installed on the phone. I also have not successfully gotten freetether to work and refuse to pay anyone for something that can be accomplished with free software.
  7.    #7  
    Here's a workable process (at least for my phone)

1) You will need to shut off wifi on your phone (it won't work otherwise).

2) get root terminal and use the following to make dhcp/dns available to usb0
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    echo interface=usb0 >> /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    echo dhcp-range=192.168.2.2,192.168.2.3,2h >> /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    stop dnsmasq
    start dnsmasq
    mount -o remount,ro /
    3) setup packet forwarding with the following
    Code:
    ifconfig usb0 up
    ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.forwarding=1
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -s 192.168.2.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 3074 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.2
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p udp -m multiport --dports 88,3074 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.2
    iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -d 192.168.2.2 -p tcp --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -d 192.168.2.2 -p udp -m multiport --dports 88,3074 -j ACCEPT
    4) enjoy

Step 2) should only be used once. Step 4) can optionally be replaced by 4*) (below)

4*) If you have trouble please post the output of the following 2 commands
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    sysctl net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding net.ipv4.conf.all.forwarding
    There may be some work on getting this to play nice with your computers config. NetworkManager automatically detects usb0 for me I removed the "Connect Automatically" setting from the options so it only goes to usb if I want it to.
    freetether setup was easy for me if you need help. The drivers are in Ubuntu already(im on 10.04.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriowOwsUv View Post
    oooh thanks for that! Apparently I started the config with my usb subnet in the 192.168.0 family and never changed my routing table on my laptop to the 192.168.2 when I changed :/

I can now ping Google (actually 72.14.204.147) through my pre.

Now I just have to get dns working
    The simplest thing would be to point your laptop to one of the easily accessible DNS servers out there.

Google Public DNS is as good as any

use 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    The simplest thing would be to point your laptop to one of the easily accessible DNS servers out there.

Google Public DNS is as good as any

use 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers.
    Thanks

I actually have a solution that I have attempted to post a couple of times that uses dnsmasq on the palm pre to do dhcp and dns. I don't know if the moderators haven't gotten to it yet or if they've rejected it.
    Thanks

I actually have a solution that I have attempted to post a couple of times that uses dnsmasq on the palm pre to do dhcp and dns. I don't know if the moderators haven't gotten to it yet or if they've rejected it.
    It has been a while since I worked with iptables. I assume that you are tethering using usb0.
    Would you be able to update your original post with as much detail / corrections as possible?
    Also, I am curious what exactly is happening through the mobile hotspot app. I assume that iptables is required, dhcpd is optional and possibly a virtual net adapter is configured for broadcasting SSID & negotiating connections. It would be nice to be able to replicate the functionality with the base OS software (and it might not drain the battery like crazy either).
    Thanks

I'll take a look...

Okay, I approved the second, more complete post and deleted the first. Please PM or report if you want something different.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 01/03/2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    im on vzw with a pre plus on 1.4.5
    also running both ubuntu and fedora 10 at home. I had the same issues with mobile hotspot but i started using freetether after doing some research and i have had no problems with disconnects
    Yes I believe this is the same thing tethering accomplishes. I just wanted to attempt it with the basic tools already installed on the phone. I also have not successfully gotten freetether to work and refuse to pay anyone for something that can be accomplished with free software.
    I guess that means you aren't on Verizon, because it came with my phone and doesn't cost me anything to use. Otherwise I'd use FreeTether.
    yes the op is on verizon, but the mhs app doesn't play nice with desktop Linux. I've had the same issues with Ubuntu and Puppy Linux myself. The op is looking for a workaround other than freetether.
  16.    #16  
    I guess that means you aren't on Verizon, because it came with my phone and doesn't cost me anything to use. Otherwise I'd use FreeTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriowOwsUv.
    I'm a linux user on my laptop... Unfortunately the mobile hotspot provided by vz wireless has problems with the mainline linux kernel.
    I did actually find a "fix" for the linux 2.6 kernel, since i cannot post links, google search
    "ubuntu verizon mobile hotspot" without quotes and the first page is how to patch.

But anyway. Why would I want to rely on Verizon? or Sprint? or Att? I trust the wireless carriers about as far as I can throw them. If there are built in capabilities of the palm there should be free information on how to use them to route packets. If the carrier stops supporting app or a developer stops updating their software where are we then?

Nods to RMS
    Thinking back - ISTR that I had some success running a local named on WebOS while tethering my laptop to my Pre via Bluetooth to use my 3G connection.
    yes, I made that work once. The downside is that speed is limited to bluetooth speed, which is about 400mbps
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Also, I am curious what exactly is happening through the mobile hotspot app.
    Me too. I'd be interested in comparing the speed of the mobile hotspot and freetether with this solution and see how much overhead there is.

yes, I made that work once. The downside is that speed is limited to bluetooth speed, which is about 400mbps
    are you sure that's an mbps? Isn't that faster than roadrunner?

I've done some time trials with ping 64 byte packates to google

For comparison this is the laptop over Wi-Fi roadrunner 3megabits per second
    Code:
    40 packets transmitted, 40 received, 0% packet loss, time 39051ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 39.447/43.298/58.127/4.071 ms
    palm on Wi-Fi
    Code:
    40 packets transmitted, 40 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 41.413/93.507/155.395 ms
    palm on EDVO
    Code:
    40 packets transmitted, 40 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 106.568/224.172/1225.342 ms
    laptop iptables dnsmasq palm usb tether
    Code:
    40 packets transmitted, 40 received, 0% packet loss, time 39050ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 95.354/191.282/1748.185/268.078 ms, pipe 2
    palm pre tethering Wi-Fi to USB
    Code:
    40 packets transmitted, 40 received, 0% packet loss, time 39050ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 42.758/101.282/286.780/41.932 ms
    too bad ping does not include standard deviations or I could tell you if the difference in speed is statistically significant. True I could copy all the messages, but i'm too lazy for that. I'll see if I can get freetether and verizon's mhsp to work and bring some more speed statistics then.
    Last edited by DriowOwsUv; 01/03/2011 at 05:15 PM.
  20.    #20  
    For those of you that are interested check out the link in my first post to see considerably updated instructions. I've successfully completed the instructions on the webos (copy and pasting) into the terminal both using novaterm and ssh and the following configurations:

ppp0 (EVDO)<->usb0
    eth0(Wi-Fi)<->usb0

I've also included instructions on how to restore your phones iptables rules and dnsmasq settings after you are finished tethering.

There's also an interesting link on reverse tethering in the references someone else did last last year.

The instructions also appear to work just fine regardless of developer mode status.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast