Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Iv had my Palm Pre for 4 months now.

I was wondering if their was anything uv done that you think is a must do on the Pre!

anything Patches, apps, programs, overclocking, etc.

what are your favourite apps??
    what are your favourite patches?

Any thoughts??
    Last edited by PRE_Shields_PRE; 12/31/2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Hi PRE_Sields_PRE,

The #1 step for a Pre user is to install Preware. This opens up the door to access all of the great patches, themes, and Homebrew stuff available for your device. Once you install that, go and install the Uberkernal along with the Govnah app to overclock your device. It's stable and truly makes the phone smooth and fast. After that, there are a ton of patches (tweaks) you can add to your device to customize it to your preferences. Dig in and enjoy!

Also, check out this thread for more suggestions (the title was a question being asked by a new member - nothing more):
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-dummies.html
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/30/2010 at 01:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Installing Preware and Internalz were musts for me.
    Overclocking it to 1GHz was too.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Ok, can someone explain overclocking to me like I'm a 4th grader? lol

Nevermind, i googled it and found an answer on another forum for the rest of the Pre dummies out there.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "overclocking is basically making the cpu in your droid run faster than what motorola has it set to stock. the stock cpu in the droid runs at 550mhz max i think. but after rooting and installing a rom that enables you to control the cpu using "setcpu" in the market, you can "overclock" the cpu to run at higher speeds.. i run mine at 1.2ghz. It makes the phone waay faster!"
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I totally agree, preware and overclocking are the MUST haves.
    And for you and everyone else, here is a great link for info and tutorials.

http://www.precentral.net/why-i-over...ou-think-video

My other must haves are:
    Facebook beta : Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Evernote (syncing note / pictures) :
    Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Stitcher (steaming podcasts) :

And I am bias, but
    Paper Basketball (paper toss like game):
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi PRE_Sields_PRE,

The #1 step for a Pre user is to install Preware. This opens up the door to access all of the great patches, themes, and Homebrew stuff available for your device. Once you install that, go and install the Uberkernal along with the Govnah app to overclock your device. It's stable and truly makes the phone smooth and fast. After that, there are a ton of patches (tweaks) you can add to your device to customize it to your preferences. Dig in and enjoy!

Also, check out this thread for more suggestions (the title was a question being asked by a new member - nothing more):
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-dummies.html
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Installing Preware and Internalz were musts for me.
    Overclocking it to 1GHz was too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post

Why I Overclock my Palm Pre (its easier than you think) [video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

My other must haves are:
    Facebook beta : Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

And I am bias, but

i have Preware (amazing un-lock a hole new phone if u no what i meen) and i just over clocked my Bell Pre to 1GHz( it is amazing so much faster, better proformance like scrolling. u guys(and girls lol) were right OVER-CLOCKING is a MAGER MUST HAVE!i just did i today.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Glad to have helped!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I say OverClocking and Preware.

Is really easy to Overclock, just install govnah then uber kernal. Is not difficult at all, is like installing a program in your pc basically and clicking next lol.

The patch I really like is the Youtube download patch, I sometimes feel the streaming takes longer than the download.
    Preware!

Install UeberKernel (UK) & Govnah even if you don't want to overclock (UK takes care of TMC error when you have hardly any apps running).

Then try overclocking and see if it works fine on your hardware - seems to be good on most Pres - but some can't take it - then simply run the UK with the standard 500 MHz.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    In addition to those items already mentioned...

*YouView is a paid app but the YouMail/Google Voice service is free and can be configured for email delivery instead
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post

[url]

My other must haves are:
    Facebook beta : [url= USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.[/url]

[url= USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.[/url]

And I am bias, but
    I just downloaded evernote but I havnt used I yet because iv been busy. But I was just wondering if you could explain What is it and what is ut used for?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageAcE View Post
    I say OverClocking and Preware.

Is really easy to Overclock, just install govnah then uber kernal. Is not difficult at all, is like installing a program in your pc basically and clicking next lol.

The patch I really like is the Youtube download patch, I sometimes feel the streaming takes longer than the download.
    HAHA that's really funny I tested the youtube download patch and you are right sometimes it is quicker to download the video!!

Thx
    If you are on Sprint, be sure to check out this thread. It can actually help speed up your EVDO connection a bit for streaming.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...onnection.html
    Ditto on the overclocking, just do it. Your phone will run better, faster, and likely even have a longer-lasting battery just by taking advantage of an overclock (sounds counter-intuitive, but faster processing = less time processing = lower power usage). I've fiddled with mine and enjoy a nice solid above 1 ghz speed with comfortably low voltages and more battery life than I had the day I first bought the pre.

Beyond that, I think the next biggest must-have patch is a reduced drag radius patch. It will make everyday use of the Pre so much nicer (without it, precision is completely out the window and attempting to move a slider on a video is painful). I suggest reduce to 15px, that seems to be the sweet spot. Any less and things are too touchy, any more is mushy.

Next, grab a few upgrades for the built-in web browser. Ad-blocker is one huge item to get - it's nice to surf the web without wasting bandwidth and precious screen real-estate on stupid ads. A browser scrollbar is nice. Finally, a fullscreen browser patch is extremely nice - out screen is small and taking advantage of the full usable area makes it MUCH more pleasant to use. Trust me on this one, if I was only allowed to do one single mod to the phone, it'd be a fullscreen browser patch. I use the mega mix, since it adds lots of nice features.

Moving into other usability patches, the No Missed Call Callback is really nice. I -hated- how the phone instantly attempted to call back anyone I had ignored if I tapped the missed call button. It almost always lead to a quick attempt to stop the call before it started. Now I can check my missed calls and decide for myself whether or not I want them to know I actually received it .

A device menu megamix is extremely nice to have. It adds nice features like a flashlight, and quick and easy to find switches to flip things like wifi on and off without having to dig into menus. This should be on -every- Pre.

Battery icon as percent is nice to have, so you arent guessing at battery life based on a little graphic representation.

Auto enable/disable GPS for maps is nice so you can turn off GPS and save a - ton - of battery life, yet still have GPS for the programs that require it.

4x4 icons patch is nice since it cleans up the launcher and gives you more icons easily accessible.

Adding a month/date to the top bar is nice for people like me who seem to constantly lose entire days of the month.

Auto show dialpad for outgoing calls = very nice. Nothing more annoying than needing to "press one NOW" and having to fiddle with the phone to get the stupid number pad up and running.

Video camera flashlight patch gives you a light for nighttime recording, it comes in handy every so often.

Anyway, those are the big things I've cherry picked from the long list of things I've done to my phone. Hope it helps.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If you are on Sprint, be sure to check out this thread. It can actually help speed up your EVDO connection a bit for streaming.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...onnection.html
    i scimed over that thread, But im on Bell so i dont no if it would work?

ill probably just end up trying it

any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Ditto on the overclocking, just do it. Your phone will run better, faster, and likely even have a longer-lasting battery just by taking advantage of an overclock (sounds counter-intuitive, but faster processing = less time processing = lower power usage). I've fiddled with mine and enjoy a nice solid above 1 ghz speed with comfortably low voltages and more battery life than I had the day I first bought the pre.

Beyond that, I think the next biggest must-have patch is a reduced drag radius patch. It will make everyday use of the Pre so much nicer (without it, precision is completely out the window and attempting to move a slider on a video is painful). I suggest reduce to 15px, that seems to be the sweet spot. Any less and things are too touchy, any more is mushy.

Next, grab a few upgrades for the built-in web browser. Ad-blocker is one huge item to get - it's nice to surf the web without wasting bandwidth and precious screen real-estate on stupid ads. A browser scrollbar is nice. Finally, a fullscreen browser patch is extremely nice - out screen is small and taking advantage of the full usable area makes it MUCH more pleasant to use. Trust me on this one, if I was only allowed to do one single mod to the phone, it'd be a fullscreen browser patch. I use the mega mix, since it adds lots of nice features.

Moving into other usability patches, the No Missed Call Callback is really nice. I -hated- how the phone instantly attempted to call back anyone I had ignored if I tapped the missed call button. It almost always lead to a quick attempt to stop the call before it started. Now I can check my missed calls and decide for myself whether or not I want them to know I actually received it .

A device menu megamix is extremely nice to have. It adds nice features like a flashlight, and quick and easy to find switches to flip things like wifi on and off without having to dig into menus. This should be on -every- Pre.

Battery icon as percent is nice to have, so you arent guessing at battery life based on a little graphic representation.

Auto enable/disable GPS for maps is nice so you can turn off GPS and save a - ton - of battery life, yet still have GPS for the programs that require it.

4x4 icons patch is nice since it cleans up the launcher and gives you more icons easily accessible.

Adding a month/date to the top bar is nice for people like me who seem to constantly lose entire days of the month.

Auto show dialpad for outgoing calls = very nice. Nothing more annoying than needing to "press one NOW" and having to fiddle with the phone to get the stupid number pad up and running.

Video camera flashlight patch gives you a light for nighttime recording, it comes in handy every so often.

Anyway, those are the big things I've cherry picked from the long list of things I've done to my phone. Hope it helps.
    Thanks ncinerate,

I just install most of these today with the amazing Preware app! and i love them. the reduce drag patch is great along with the 1GHz overclock!

ad blocker is great. but i believe u im sure full screen web browsing is great but i personally like to see the top bar when browsing for the cell signal and battery(the battery % on the top bar is amazing and should be a standard feature on webos).so yeah

im sure the no missed call call back patch great if you have caller id, which i dont so it wont call back even if i try!

and iv only had Auto enable/disable GPS patch for a few hours and i already love it their has been a noticable increase in battery life!

and the 4x4 launcher icons look natural or normal compared to the standard 3x4(if u no what i mean)

but one thing i have to question u on is: you said that over clock at 1GHz will increase battery life but my 1GHz overclock is eatting my battery i had to charge my battery 3 times yesterday!

you said u "fiddled" with yours if so do you mind send me your over-clocking settings that would be great!

THX

youve really helped me!
    ubercalender is a must have imo, stock calender sucks.
    I installed ubercalendar a few months ago and it was extremely SLOOOOOOWWW! Has its speed improved?
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I mentioned in another thread that my pre plus is "patched up" to my liking. I like that you can use the patches and apps to make the phone suitable to your specific needs. I have more things on my phone, but these are some that I would recommend. Of course, I'm a newbie, but here I go:

-UberCalendar
    -Agenda
    -Advanced configurations for app launcher
    -Advance configurations for systems preferences
    -Advanced phone menu
    -Advanced reset options
    -PDF redux
    -Weather Icon
    -Dr. Battery
    -Govnah
    -Uberkernal
    -Internalz
    -Mode switcher
    -Music player (remix)
    -Pandora
    -Preset reset
    -Battery icon & percent
    -Device temperature warning
    -Farenheit temp with battery device
    -Match state to area code
    -Reduce drag radius
    -Ringtone for unknown callers
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    I installed ubercalendar a few months ago and it was extremely SLOOOOOOWWW! Has its speed improved?
    UberCalendar works fine on my phone. There are no problems with it being slow. It responds immediately after I tap on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast