1. jc9
    The problem: YouTube videos will not play properly. They play a few seconds, then a long wait with the spinning ball while the progress bar grows, then play a few more seconds - a lot like using a dial-up connection would be on a pc.

At this moment, my device shows "Ev" and 3-4 signal bars. I don't have access to a wifi connection. That's a good data connection, isn't it? This seems to happen with YouTube no matter where I am.

Device: Palm Pre on Sprint, webOS 1.4.5, 8 GB memory with 5.1 GB available.

What I've tried: restarting the phone, removing the battery and restarting.

Suggestions from anyone?

James
    Yeah, I get that sometimes too. Im on Verizon. If you have good connection, I dont know what causes that. The best solution I can think of is Pause it and wait for it to load all the way. Or you can install the patch in preware to download youtube videos. Then you can watch them with out waiting for it to load. Instead, you just wait for them to download. lol
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    it depends on where you live. I live in prescott valley az and it says I have ev and 4 or 5 bars and when I use netstat I get about 15 to 20 kb/s. Well I drive about 5 or 6 miles into Prescott and it says same thing ev 4 or 5 bars and I consistently get 75 to 100 kb/s. If you live on an outskirt or something just cause it says ev with a good connection doesn't mean your getting really fast 3g. That has to be the problem I think cause it sounds like a slow connection issue. I bet if you connected to a wifi it would work fine.
    My issue is worse. It will start to play, then pause for a while, then when it starts playing again, I get a media can not be played back error message and if I try and replay the video it won't load. I need to close the app and open it again. Very annoying to say the least.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    I have also noticed that when I receive a text, it seems to interrupts connection for a second and kinda screw stuff up. Also (slightly off topic) text messages interrupt the camera app for some reason. Its annoying.
  6. jc9
    @jwinn35: I'm going to test it using the wifi at my house, which I seldom use with the Pre. Will let you know the outcome.

Thank you for the reply.
  7. jc9
    @homerlanza: that sounds pretty frustrating. Wonder what is causing it?
    I was getting all the stuff u guyz mentioned above and i can now safely say it has to do with the connection....My work place is very close to Sprint HQ and i get full 5 bars believe me i can watch 10min videos without buffering wish i had flash/webOS2.0 on my phone i could be watching movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc9 View Post
    @homerlanza: that sounds pretty frustrating. Wonder what is causing it?
    Wish I knew, seems anything may cause this on my particular Pre. It does it all on its own, when the issue occurs it does not matter if I am on WiFi or not. I love my Pre but little issues like this are really starting to make me look at other phones while HPalm put out something more to my liking.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    I would like to say that there might be some sort of handshaking issue between the Youtube app and our phones but perhaps someone with slightly more knowledge on this could be helpful.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  11. jc9
    @jwinn35: it appears you are correct. I connected to wifi at home last night and YouTube videos played smoothly with no stops and starts. It appears my broadband connection is not as good as the 4 bars make it look. Are there tools I can use to check the actual data transfer rate on the Pre?
    I use the youtube video download patch to get around this problem, try it.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc9 View Post
    @jwinn35: it appears you are correct. I connected to wifi at home last night and YouTube videos played smoothly with no stops and starts. It appears my broadband connection is not as good as the 4 bars make it look. Are there tools I can use to check the actual data transfer rate on the Pre?
    there is one called netspeed. I think it's a couple of bucks. Sucks your connection isn't the greatest but at least you know it isn't the pre itself.
    This will help for videos that YouTube has made an html5 version available for

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2767836

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2771954
  15. jc9
    @jwinn35: I got netspeed and it was quite telling. S-L-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-W!