Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    My Pre Plus is giving me some problems and I want to take it in to Verizon to have it looked at. However, I want to be prepared in case they offer to swap it out. By "prepared", I mean two things: I want to clear off any personal data, and I want to backup anything I'll need to get the new device set up.

Is it as simple as a) using the Saved Package List in Preware and Save/Restore to back up my data, then b) backing up and clearing off the USB partition? Or should I also doctor the device?

Thanks for your help!
    yes, you have it correct. running the doctor doesn't delete the usb partition. in the system app you can elect to do a full erase that deletes everything, if that's what you want to do.

I would just make sure I backed everything up and remove Govnah so it is running stock speed, but not do a full erase until you know they will be swapping phones. You can initiate a full/secure erase right there before you hand it to them... that way you have less to recover if they don't replace it.

PS, have you called verizon support yet. I always get god service, replacements are cross shipped directly to you, and you don't have to deal with everyone in the store trying to get you to buy an Android phone... I avoid going to those stores whenever possible. The phone people will take you through a quick trouble shooting script and then get you what ever you need. They tend to recognize that I did all that stuff before I called so we can skip the obvious stuff and only try anything I haven't thought of...
    I took my pre in twice for booting issues (freezing at the palm logo forever) and both times the techs really could not help much and I basically ended up just leaving and going home and fixing things myself with webOSdoctor. Kind of a shame that the techs at verizon really cant even do basic troubleshooting on my phone and I can fix it better than them after less than a month of owning it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses. Based on both of your comments, I think I'll try a phone call before a visit. And thanks for the tip about Govnah too ... that's gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisslowness View Post
    I took my pre in twice for booting issues (freezing at the palm logo forever) and both times the techs really could not help much and I basically ended up just leaving and going home and fixing things myself with webOSdoctor. Kind of a shame that the techs at verizon really cant even do basic troubleshooting on my phone and I can fix it better than them after less than a month of owning it.
    LOL! My roommate has a Verizon Pre+ and one day, after having it a few months, he came in from work and asked to borrow my phone to call them, because he couldn't get a signal, at all, no matter what he tried.

He spent a ton of time on the phone with them, trying everything they suggested to trouble shoot, with no luck. They eventually just gave up and were going to ship him a new phone.

He came out to return my phone and was griping about it, so I said: I can take a look at it, if you want.

He went into his room and grabbed his phone, handed it to me and I had it all working in less than a minute.

Verizon had done a network update and it had reset the settings in his phone for roaming and data roaming to off. He gets no signal from them in the city we live in, so without roaming enabled, his phone couldn't lock onto anything.

Completely amazed me, though, that they never even had him check those settings.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!