Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I want a smart phone and have decided on a palm device. Been lurking here for months and am amazed at the community and what is done with webOS. ( definitely not a techie )
    Current and only wireless phone I have ever had is a NET10 using AT&T system. Have a ton of minutes accrued and I must say it has worked very well for just voice calls. At $15.00/month it has served me well. No complaints about coverage and call quality.
    If I purchase an unlocked Pre2 what do you think my chances are of getting the Net10 SIM to work in it? My googling around would indicate that Net10 has some way of tying a SIM card to the phone it was purchased with. I know I can ask Net10 but their customer service is pretty poor and the language barrier with their Reps is frustrating to say the least.
    If my present Net10 phone was damaged or stopped working they would have to pair my SIM card to a new phone. I am thinking that there is no reason that it couldn't be a palm Pre2.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/27/2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo in title
    A bigger issue is data usage. Even if you never use it to browse the web, a smartphone like a Palm Pre will eat through data fairly quick, and that can get very expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  3.    #3  
    veedub65,
    I was going to use the phone as a PDA and WiFi only until I used my minutes down.
    No data use on NET10. ( Although they do have some sort of unlimited data plan for a monthly fee now )
    You into VW's? Your Sig. is why I ask.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    i use mine with an att prepaid card. i dont use the phone much for voice calls so $25 refill last me 3 months and any unused minute/money gets carried over. i mainly use wifi when i am at home and when i know that when i go on a trip, i usually buy $20 bucks of data (100 meg).

with my unused carry over minutes/money balance, i just use it to buy data when i need too.

total cost a year for my prepaid with data is $100 a year. beats paying $100 a month for voice and data.

take into consideration that i dont get or make calls too often. i only do light browsing when i am away from a wifi and only then its mostly used for checking my email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    veedub65,
    I was going to use the phone as a PDA and WiFi only until I used my minutes down.
    No data use on NET10. ( Although they do have some sort of unlimited data plan for a monthly fee now )
    If you only use it over wifi, how will you ever use the minutes?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you only use it over wifi, how will you ever use the minutes?
    I would in fact use the minutes for voice calls. That is why I am concerned about the NET10 SIM working in the unlocked Pre2. I would use data only when WiFi is available.
    After getting he accrued minutes that I have with NET10 down, I will look for a plan with a major carrier. Because the phone is GSM that will limit me to AT&T. BUT, I spend several months a year in Newfoundland Canada and would also be able to use a prepay SIM from Bell Canada while I am there.
    There is more to the equation but I was going to ask in another forum.
    I have been patiently waiting for the Pre2 on Verizon. If the Nt10 SIM cannot be used in a Pre2 I will be considering Verizon and just adding Canada for $20.00/month for the time I am in Newfoundland. Once I put NET10 behind me I will have a data plan with which ever carrier I use.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    I am not aware of any Verizon phones using a SIM card - they are CDMA. The current unlocked GSM phone uses a SIM card. Is that what you are hoping for?
    You into VW's? Your Sig. is why I ask.
    Well, it's completely off-topic, but since it's the OP asking...

My first car was a 1965 VW Beetle with the original 1200cc engine and 6v electrical system. It even had the original oil-bath air filter. Don't get too excited though. While I really miss many things about that car, and had some very good times driving it to the coast with friends in high school, that particular car was a pile of junk.

The original engine died about 2950 miles after the first oil change where I skipped adjusting the valves. (never made that mistake again) I replaced it with a 1600 out of an older model, and had even better times for a while. Of course, switching to that engine meant a 12v system, and that caused more problems. A 12v starter wouldn't fit the transaxel, so I just ran the 6v starter at 12v, which worked great until it chewed up the ring gear so bad it didn't work anymore. And of course, the windshield wiper was a whole different problem. They only made the 12v wiper motors in the same size and shape as the 6v motors in 1967. After that, they changed the design, making the '67 motors a rare and expensive collectors' item. Being a snot for brains teenager, I didn't think to put in a resistor, and the wiper motor destroyed the actual wiper mechanism within about a month by running at warp speed.

Unfortunately, a car that requires constant TLC to keep it on the road just doesn't work for the average starving college student, so I sold it and bought an '85 Mercury Lynx in college, which was probably the most un-cool car to come out of the 80's, and that's saying something since the 80's was a spectacularly uncool decade for cars.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 12/28/2010 at 12:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am not aware of any Verizon phones using a SIM card - they are CDMA. The current unlocked GSM phone uses a SIM card. Is that what you are hoping for?
    OK, I will see if I can make myself clearer.
    I fully understand the difference between CDMA and GSM, and which carriers use each technology. I was not going to talk about the CDMA option here because this is a GSM forum. ( I am new to Pre Central and want to get off on the right foot).
    I was originally going to get a Verizon Pre2 and just buy the Canada addition for when I am in Newfoundland. Still waiting, so I have been entertaining the possibility of buying an unlocked GSM phone from HP. I would like to be able to use the NET10 SIM in it. ( I have about 2,000 Minutes ). In this case I would not use data except via WiFi. I could get familiar with the phone and use as a PDA so to speak while using up my NET10 minutes. I could even stay with NET10 and get just data with another carrier. As I posted previously, I am quite happy with the voice service on NET10. But, it would be nice to have a smart phone to use. I don't want to stay in the "Dark Ages" forever.
    Another factor is choosing a carrier when and if I deplete my NET10 minutes. I know a lot of people like Sprint but it does not appear as though they are interested in carrying a Palm device. Whether or not to use AT&T or Verizon would depend on which phone I get. CDMA or GSM. ( or the carrier choice would dictate which technology I choose. CDMA or GSM )
    So after saying all that, my decesion is in part dependent on whether or not the NET10 SIM can be used in a Pre2. ( My original question ) Because there seems to be so many Tech savvy people here I was hoping someone would have some insight concerning this issue.
    I appreciate all responses, questions and do respect all opinions.
  10.    #10  
    VeeDubb65,
    Got it on the VW.
    Thanks
    Off topic but cant resist VW talk. I currently own a 06 GLI. love it.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Off topic but cant resist VW talk. I currently own a 06 GLI. love it.
    My first car was a '71 Beetle. I've always loved VWs.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    My first car was a '71 Beetle. I've always loved VWs.
    Come on guys/gals you are gonna get me in trouble.
    Enough on the VW's here. MY BAD for bringing it up.
    Anyone got any thoughts on the NET10 SIM in a Pre2?
    Someone must at least have an opinion or guess.
    it's up to net10. If they allow unlocked devices on their network, it'll work (provided you use the same frequencies.)

my suggestion: wait a week and see if ces shows anything. A verizon pre 2 launch would be a fair fit. (or even AT&T)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    it's up to net10. If they allow unlocked devices on their network, it'll work (provided you use the same frequencies.)

my suggestion: wait a week and see if ces shows anything. A verizon pre 2 launch would be a fair fit. (or even AT&T)
    Thanks for the input. I was figuring on waiting to see what happens for new hardware and possible new carriers.
    We are neighbors. Think Saratoga.
    @Different Drummer,
    I'm a bit less shy that you ...

@P|C,
    ANYONE HERE LIVE IN UPSTATE NY WITH A PRE2 THAT @DD CAN TRY HIS SIM IN TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS? (hoping this works ... )
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Im guessing it could, as long as you just pop your sim card in the phone. I guess no on really has an absolute answer is because we are all so unfamiliar with unlocked phones here in the US.

The only thing i can see having a problem with is getting updates, since each carrier has a specific update, but im sure palm has a solution for that since they are selling unlocked phones.

I don't see how net 10 could prevent you from using it, as long as your net 10 phone is what it shows in their system, you should be able to pop your sim into any unlocked phone.
  18.    #18  
    Sudoer,
    That a cool idea.
    Maybe I will get lucky.
    I do get to Boston once in a while.
    You GSM?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I don't see how net 10 could prevent you from using it, as long as your net 10 phone is what it shows in their system, you should be able to pop your sim into any unlocked phone.
    I have done some research on line. Seems to be a situation where NET10 somehow associates a SIM card to just ONE particular phone. I guess that means that it will not work in another GSM phone even if it is an unlocked GSM phone.
    Guess the only way to know for sure would be to find an unlocked GSM phone and pop in the NET10 SIM as Sudoer suggests.
    Sudoer,
    That a cool idea.
    Maybe I will get lucky.
    I do get to Boston once in a while.
    You GSM?
    Nope, I'm on Sprint CDMA. (I'm working out of town in Milwaukee so I'm not in Boston much these days.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast