Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am not aware of any Verizon phones using a SIM card - they are CDMA. The current unlocked GSM phone uses a SIM card. Is that what you are hoping for?
    I don't think he was talking about using a SIM card with a Verizon phone. He was saying he'd wait for Verizon and just pay for their Canada extended service when he's up there if he can't get his Net10 SIM to work in the unlocked GSM Pre2.

But on a related note, aren't Verizon's LTE phones going to need to use SIM cards to be spec compliant?
    I don't understand the question. Why should it not work?

GSM phones don't require pairing
    Reading between the lines, Net10 are set up to make an association between IMSI and IMEI during activation. If the SIM is not in the associated handset, it is rejected by their network.

I can't see anything on their site or in their T&Cs that allows a subscribe to use their own handset - from that, I infer that they only permit their own handsets to be used.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Well, it's completely off-topic, but since it's the OP asking...

My first car was a 1965 VW Beetle with the original 1200cc engine and 6v electrical system. It even had the original oil-bath air filter. Don't get too excited though. While I really miss many things about that car, and had some very good times driving it to the coast with friends in high school, that particular car was a pile of junk.

The original engine died about 2950 miles after the first oil change where I skipped adjusting the valves. (never made that mistake again) I replaced it with a 1600 out of an older model, and had even better times for a while. Of course, switching to that engine meant a 12v system, and that caused more problems. A 12v starter wouldn't fit the transaxel, so I just ran the 6v starter at 12v, which worked great until it chewed up the ring gear so bad it didn't work anymore. And of course, the windshield wiper was a whole different problem. They only made the 12v wiper motors in the same size and shape as the 6v motors in 1967. After that, they changed the design, making the '67 motors a rare and expensive collectors' item. Being a snot for brains teenager, I didn't think to put in a resistor, and the wiper motor destroyed the actual wiper mechanism within about a month by running at warp speed.

Unfortunately, a car that requires constant TLC to keep it on the road just doesn't work for the average starving college student, so I sold it and bought an '85 Mercury Lynx in college, which was probably the most un-cool car to come out of the 80's, and that's saying something since the 80's was a spectacularly uncool decade for cars.
    my first car was a 1968 vw type II camper. I calculated I worked on it one minute for every mile I drove it. My brothers took it after me.

since then my cars have been reliable and lame.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    I don't understand the question. Why should it not work?

GSM phones don't require pairing
    I read somewhere that NET10 has a way of pairing a SIM to ONE individual phone.
    That same SIM would not function in any other GSM phone even if the phone was unlocked.
    There are much more experienced and knowledgeable minds than mine here.
    I was hoping for some reassurance before spending $450.0 on an unlocked GSM phone which could not be used on Verizon if I chose was forced to go that route.
    Of course, I will now wait a little longer till Feb. 9th to see what develops.
    Thanks to all for any input.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Reading between the lines, Net10 are set up to make an association between IMSI and IMEI during activation. If the SIM is not in the associated handset, it is rejected by their network.

I can't see anything on their site or in their T&Cs that allows a subscribe to use their own handset - from that, I infer that they only permit their own handsets to be used.
    Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear but information that I need to know to help decide how I will proceed.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12