1.    #1  
    Well, it lasted less than a day....

While it didn't make sense to get my daughter the phone she wanted for Christmas, Santa decided that a Palm Pre would make a great game/movie/music device and could allow texting as well via wifi/Voogle and a MetaDoctor setup. Santa got the device for ~$75 on eBay and heckuva lot cheaper than an iTouch.

So one day later, however, think it's dust after being dropped. Stuck now on Palm boot screen and flickers on/off every 30 seconds or so.

Able to get it into USB mode and start the Doctor (Metadoctor, actually), but after starting the process and rebooting the device, the doctor delivers a message of "device has been unplugged" even though it's still plugged in. Can't get out of that loop.

Anything from a hardware side I could/should check? Any hope or is it toast. We've already told her she's not getting a replacement from us. At worst it becomes a lesson, but would hope I could maybe do something...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    take it in to be repaired. it would be a shame to let it go to waste. it could be as simple as a cable came loose to something serious being wrong. i hope you had insurance on it at least.
  3.    #3  
    Nope, no insurance and nowhere to take it to be repaired...it was "activated" using Metadoctor, not actually registered as a working phone with any carrier. I'm thinking I need to crack the case and see if there's any loose cables that may be causing the issue. If not self-repairable, I might see if I can get a bad ESN device to replace (which should be cheaper on eBay and I'd be willing to do if it was only ~$25)
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    restart the novacom drivers on your PC, and make sure the phone is completely rebooted before plugging it in the the PC. Then put the phone in recovery mode before running metadoctor. Dropping the phone shouldn't prevent you from running OSD.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    restart the novacom drivers on your PC, and make sure the phone is completely rebooted before plugging it in the the PC. Then put the phone in recovery mode before running metadoctor. Dropping the phone shouldn't prevent you from running OSD.
    Thanks for the ideas

Don't think Novacom is issue, as the doctor starts them (I saw messagge on screen) and it seems to recognize the device as the Dr. Starts.

I can't get to full reboot, that's the issue. It's stuck on the "Palm" startup screen. I have to take out battery, connect charger, hold Vol up whule putting in battery to get it to USB mode.

Metadoctor recognizes device and forces reboot at start of it's process, at which point the device hangs on the Palm screen and MetaDr returns the "unplugged" message.
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    It could be a problem if the USB port was broke loose in the drop.

I didn't drop mine, but mine is currently loose and will only hook up to charge or USB that way, if I hold it or set it in a very precise position. Jiggle the cord just a tad and the connection is lost.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  7.    #7  
    Took it apart and appeared everything appears connected properly, but still having issue. I'm leaning toward some hidden hardware damage beyond my ability to trouble shoot.

At least I now know how to take apart/reassemble a Pre
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory