webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Wifi not working, after phone hit the floor
Wifi not working, after phone hit the floor

Old 12/26/2010, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
lu

Yesterday i dropped my Pre and it hit the floor, since then my Wifi isn't working anymore. The wifi turns on, but it in continuous searching for network. I did the quick tests and the following issues were found:
code 25 WI-Fi
code 20 Modem

Is it possible that the wifi device broke? Everything else workes fine.
lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2010, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, it is possible.
DaveChelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2010, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's definitely what it sounds like, since dropping it certainly doesn't cause a software problem.

It has happened to a few other people.

You'll need a replacement or repair.
Old 12/26/2010, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's also possible that the wifi radio cable came undone from the comms board during the drop. Take a look at the conversion from Sprint pre to Sprint Pre Plus thread to see some visuals of the wifi and phone radio cables.

Also, it could be that the wifi radio has been damaged during the fall, which could be easily replaced by buying a broken Pre off e-bay and replacing the wifi radio with the "broken" one. Although I think you have to replace the comms board because the system must have know the tokens of the new radio in order to broadcast the mac address.. It may be a little more complicated than that, but I'm not hardware expert!

After reading your post: Can you make calls, and does the data network work and loads pages? Also have you tried doctoring your phone yet? This may help troubleshoot your device to give more specific answers.
zealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2010, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
lu

Everything else works just fine, except wifi.
Old 12/26/2010, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can run the test, the tests are under Device Info in the phone and it will let you know if something is wrong with the modem, without having to tear the phone apart.
Old 12/26/2010, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

if the tests that Verizon suggests that the radio is damaged, you could send it to the guys that will put sprint radio into a pre plus, and come out with a better phone!
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2010, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu View Post
Yesterday i dropped my Pre and it hit the floor, since then my Wifi isn't working anymore. The wifi turns on, but it in continuous searching for network. I did the quick tests and the following issues were found:
code 25 WI-Fi
code 20 Modem

Is it possible that the wifi device broke? Everything else workes fine.
As such, I guess the WiFi device (the chip on the CPU board) is not broken! But what most probably happened is the small antenna located in the top of the screen is not anymore making a proper connection with the CPU board. Hence the weak WiFi symptom...

The WiFi (and Bluetooth) antenna is a small metal foil stuck to the touchscreen body. As can be seen on the first 2 pictures, one end is curved so it will make a spring loaded-like contact with the CPU board.

However, the one end of the CPU board making contact with the antenna is not fixed and is subject to vibrations. I guess too many / too big vibrations (a shock) are likely to damage and even break the spring-like end of the antenna (3rd picture), leaving a poor contact between the antenna and the WiFi chip...

Manual fix is still possible, though, if you are "brave enough"... ;-) (I did it, more pictures available if you ask)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wireless Antenna.jpg (143.0 KB, 362 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg CPU Board and Wireless Antenna.jpg (141.7 KB, 327 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Bent and Breaking Antenna.jpg (126.1 KB, 320 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Thibaud; 12/26/2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Title fix
Thibaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by BobKy, kaidoloor, NuttyBunny
Old 12/26/2010, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
if the tests that Verizonverwon suggests that the radio is damaged, you could send it to the guys that will put sprint radio into a pre plus, and come out with a better phone!
Unfortunately, changing the CPU board will not help if the issue is with the antenna, even with an improved CPU board...

Last edited by Thibaud; 12/26/2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12/26/2010, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
lu

I would be very grateful if you would post more pictures.
Old 12/26/2010, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu View Post
I would be very grateful if you would post more pictures.
I had a spare (and broken) touchscreen from which I was able to remove the antenna, but I never succeeded in putting the new one back in place; so I went a totally different way: I directly soldered a small metal wire to the CPU board, and bent/cut it appropriately (so it would fit into the screen body...). I guess the pictures speak for themselves.
I now have a strong WiFi connection in my GSM Pre (sometimes I find it's even better than before, but I'm being partial here!), so far so good for 2 months now.

PS: did I mention these (quite nice) pictures were taken with another Pre, simply adjusting the camera lens in front of a magnifying binocular?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Soldered Antenna.jpg (171.0 KB, 304 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg New Antenna in Pre.jpg (294.0 KB, 293 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Thibaud; 12/27/2010 at 02:32 PM.
Thanked by BobKy, FunkiBluDawg, kaidoloor, lu
Old 12/27/2010, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

This looks very promising and was the same metal clip mentioned in this thread Possible blue tooth fix
I have tried this but did not have any difference - though only tried bending the clip back to restore springiness.

Your soldered aerial looks top class !, but does it bypass the black wire connection in the comms board ?
FunkiBluDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2010, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
Your soldered aerial looks top class !, but does it bypass the black wire connection in the comms board ?
Thanks!
No, the 2 (black and white) wire connections on the comm are antennas for the GSM/CDMA and the GPS. This short metal clip is exclusively the antenna for the Wifi/Bluetooth chip.
Old 02/24/2011, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

hi, also haved this problem with my pre plus, would it be possible to fix without soldering it with a new antenna?
keyots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2011, 11:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

strangely same problem here. But I have some questions before I start taking my phone apart. Since I rely on it. I hope you can help me!

1. I found a way to tear it down but it's a CDMA Sprint phone with no SIM. So I wander if there is also a GSM version available. Is the phone you took the pictures of the GSM Version? It is definitly different from the CDMA phone in relations to the GPS and Antenna :/

2. are there many flex-cables inside? I was able to spot two in the CDMA teardown. I don't want to fix my phone and break it again by cutting/ripping a flex :/

thanks in advance!
pinguinXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2011, 02:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

1. Only the comms board is different between cdma & gsm versions of the phone. Rest of the phone hw is same as far as I know.

2. There are 2 flex cables connected to the comms and keyboard. The other ends of these flex cables go under the slider mechanism / cover of the motherboard - to the motherboard and are a pain to manage. Under the motherboard cover, there are atleast 4 very small flex cables and are taped down. You need to be very careful with all of these

While very promising, the suggested fix did not work for me, but luckily was fixed by Palm under warranty.

Last edited by FunkiBluDawg; 02/27/2011 at 03:06 AM.
FunkiBluDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2011, 03:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

alright, so I will have to wait until I'm back in Germany... still working for 5more month in the Philippines :/ and there is no Palm Customer Service. I won't try when there is a high possibility that nothing's changed after DIY
pinguinXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2011, 02:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

received referb pre+ with wifi issue out of the box and after numerous attempts finally managed to repair and even improve the wifi signal.

pre- with working wifi

pre+ with wifi failure

my final fix (sorry don't have the actual image ran out of patience by that point)

pre+ with netbook wifi antenna (dell mini)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good_ant.jpg (194.8 KB, 416 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg bad_ant_info.jpg (65.3 KB, 407 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg wifi_pcb_tips.jpg (119.0 KB, 402 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg ant.jpg (143.7 KB, 400 views) Email Attachment
larryflynt2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2011, 02:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wait you seriously modded in a new Wifi antenna? That's awesome, you rock.
zealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2011, 09:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflynt2k View Post
received referb pre+ with wifi issue out of the box and after numerous attempts finally managed to repair and even improve the wifi signal.
Even though I don't have any problem with my wifi I like posts like this.
Thanks for the details shown.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0