1.    #1  
    Okay so today someone decided to put up a Touchstone on the local Freecycle and I snapped it up. Which immediately raised the question: What to do with it? I already have one.
    So I decided that I would casemod it... I want to get my feet wet in casemodding but don't want to take apart, say, my Xbox. So I decided making a custom Touchstone housing would be a nice start. Since my desk has this nice natural-wood finish I thought that a vintagey wooden Touchstone would be super cool. So I started copying over designs from the Touchstone and used a compass to set up said designs on a bit of nice thin scrap wood. I plan on using different pieces for the place where the actual phone 'sits' and the outer ring, as well as for the bottom. I burned in the word 'Palm': it's a little sloppy, but I'm debating redoing it because it took a lot of work to copy the exact positions and dimensions of each letter (see the picture). For the cylindrical bit, I'll either build my own using some of the tools in the shop at my school (if I'm allowed to) or, failing that, sand down a bit of bamboo.
    So, questions. Has anyone ever done something like this before? And does anyone with any experience with either woodworking or Touchstone hacking have any advice for me?
    Thanks in advance.
    Pictures (left to right):
    middle bit of TS, bottom half of TS (oval), outer ring of TS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    very cool!
    That actually looks pretty cool and different. How much would you charge for one once you get it worked out? I would like wood finish for the one in my car.
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, this would be just for myself... besides, I have essentially zero experience with woodworking and I just thought of this today. I'll definitely post a guide though if it ever actually goes somewhere.
    I have some degree of familiarity with the innards of the Touchstone because of rwhitby's guide and the ifixit thing... but I took it apart and put it back together today and it still works... so that's a start
    Maybe if I finished one and wanted to do it to my original Touchstone I would sell the first one on eBay.
    redo the logo, man
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Maybe if I finished one and wanted to do it to my original Touchstone I would sell the first one on eBay.
    If you do start selling them on eBay and WebOS finally takes off like it should have to begin with, you will make a ton of money!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7.    #7  
    lol well thanks. But first I need to learn my way around the Touchstone... I know the top inductive coil is connected to the top bit of the charger... what's the safest way to detach it? And how thin does the top part need to be in order for charging to work? The wood I'm using is about 1/4" but I can sand if necessary.
    also be advised that this will be slow going. I'm leaving for new york in an hour and I may or may not work on this project while I'm gone. I'll be back in around 10 days. If I do work on it I'll be certain to keep everyone posted thanks to my lovely webOS smartphone.
  8.    #8  
    also, does anyone know how hot the inside of a TS gets? If I sell this or even use it for that matter,i don't want it to,say,burst into flames. I know that's far-fetched, but I don't want to even take the slightest chance.
    I would not use real wooden plates for the top. It is easier to just glue some precut Vavona-Maser or other "Veneer/Furnier" onto the Palm charger. Vavona-Maser is just a few mm thick and maybe wont interfere with the induction.
    Last edited by DirkGently; 12/25/2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Sorry, this would be just for myself... besides, I have essentially zero experience with woodworking and I just thought of this today. I'll definitely post a guide though if it ever actually goes somewhere.
    I have some degree of familiarity with the innards of the Touchstone because of rwhitby's guide and the ifixit thing... but I took it apart and put it back together today and it still works... so that's a start
    Seeing the thread title, I was expecting to see a nice turned piece of stock that was then "finished up" with a some hand carving and/or a dremel to make a place for the insides. The project in my mind would require a pretty seasoned woodworker, so after seeing your idea, I think you are onto the idea for a very practical solution. The good news is that wood veneer is easily available at woodworking supply places (and even at places like Lowes and Home Depot). The really important thing in the case of the TS will be to take advantage of the fact that wood veneer is very thin. I'm not sure what the best glue might be. I'd suggest starting with something like a few dots of plain-old "rubber cement" (not contact cement) to stick it on at first to make sure the magnetism can still get through to charge the phone. I would not use the "iron on" veneer (adhesive) because the TS will likely get hot when charging the phone and then the veneer might de-laminate. This sounds like a very fun project. I can't wait to hear how this turns out for you!

EDYT: Once you perfect the technique, if I were you, I'd then use a nice piece of maple or walnut burl veneer for a professional "keeper" edition!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  11.    #11  
    probably going into my uncle's shop today. found a nice piece of bamboo for the cylindrical part.
    probably going into my uncle's shop today. found a nice piece of bamboo for the cylindrical part.
    I just realized you have a cross-grain gluing situation. You may want to think of ways that the top wood can expand and contract more or less independently from the bambo. You could accomplish this by only gluing in two places (I would make these 2 glue points "along the sides" of the top-piece grain (rather than "along the ends"). Since this is your first attempt, you may just want to glue up the whole thing and then just see if/where it splits the bamboo. There are probably other people here who can give you better advice than me. If both the bamboo and the top piece have been stored inside, that's a good enough baseline for "V0.1". Lated, depending on if/where it splits, you can use a meter to check the moisture content of the wood. (I'm not sure how bamboo dries, but I suspect it is seasoned naturally rather than in a kiln.)

I'm sure it will be a fun project and I can't wait to here how it goes!

--
    Bob
  13.    #13  
    Ended up scrapping my original idea and building the thing out of a piece of elm, with a lot of help from my uncle. Now it's my job to cram the touchstone in there lol. hopefully these pictures should give a better idea of the dimensions of the thing. Unfortunately I seem to have destroyed some parts of the Touchstone, but it's nothing a little solder can't fix. I also have to sand down the wooden piece for the top of the touchstone to permit inductive charging. If that doesn't work, I will probably use some nice veneer.
    Since all the wood is cut from the exact same piece, I don't anticipate cross-grain gluing problems either.
    [images coming...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by innocentbystander; 01/09/2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Ended up scrapping my original idea and building the thing out of a piece of elm, with a lot of help from my uncle. Now it's my job to cram the touchstone in there lol. hopefully these pictures should give a better idea of the dimensions of the thing. Unfortunately I seem to have destroyed some parts of the Touchstone, but it's nothing a little solder can't fix. I also have to sand down the wooden piece for the top of the touchstone to permit inductive charging. If that doesn't work, I will probably use some nice veneer.
    Since all the wood is cut from the exact same piece, I don't anticipate cross-grain gluing problems either.
    [images coming...
    That's looking better than anything I could have imagined! Elm - I'm guessing that's a piece of local wood. I love that you left the bark on it. I'm not sure what you are going to use to sand down the thickness of the top piece. I'd suggest borrowing a belt sander from someone and using 6o grit to take it down to size. I don't know how hard elm is. I'm guessing it's medium density like birch. If it's really hard (like oak or walnut) just keep your patience while reducing the thickness. Remember with end grain on a thin piece of work that there will be a possibility of tear out so take your time and let the grit do the work rather than pressing down too hard. Perhaps if you apply some sort of wood sealer around the circumference that might further prevent any tear-out. Ask your uncle what he thinks! Keep up the great work!

--
    Bob
  15.    #15  
    Well... I was an ***** and I broke the damn top bit by mistake.
    Time to find some nice veneer...
    very sharp! Nice work.
    I can't wait to see how this turns out. Post back often. Great work so far.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Have you ever used a laser engraver? Thin pieces of wood can be cut very precise and even engrave the word Palm on it.
  19.    #19  
    don't have access to one... i still have to find veneer, and repair my touchstone guts. pulled out some wires Dx
    but i know where they go, and i have a soldering iron.