sorry for not doing the obligatory search for this topic but i don't know enough to even ask the right question

bell.ca has lowered the no contract price of the palm pre to $149.95 so i bought one to use on prepaid ... 13 days later it finally arrived

now they tell me that i have to subscribe to the wireless data plan even to use my home wifi (contrary to what i was told by bell.ca in their direct sales department)

i make about 2 phone calls a month and am retired so i don't really want to pay $10 a month for the data plan plus $10 a month on prepaid... was hoping to just use it at home on wifi

have got an rma on the way but would really like to keep this phone (even though i can't even get in to the home screen since i can't get past the "activate" screen) since i like it a lot

can i just buy the internet plan for a month and then cancel and somehow then use just wifi ?

they seem to be telling me that i can't use ANY wifi (mine or hotpsots or any) unless i am subscribed to a "mobile internet plan"

the people at bell.ca have been such clueless boobs that i don't think they even understand their own products

i realize that $20 a month is not a lot for many people out there but it is for me as i am retired and this would come out to about $12 a phone call or something for me :-)

any advice from you guys would be great
    Activate Data for a month or so then delete, will continu to work !!
    Boatman
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatMan View Post
    Activate Data for a month or so then delete, will continu to work !!
    He's on prepaid. I think Bell does restrict the Pre on prepaid accounts.

Alternatively can try Meta-Doctor to bypass First Use, enable Wi-Fi then run the app again to set up. I've heard reports that works with Bell. but I still think the restriction has to do with prepaid.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here