Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got bored at home today. Decided to tape off the pre's screen and take a brillo pad to it for a nice Matte finish. It doesn't quite match the touchstone cover, but I like it. Anything to freshen it up a bit. Anyway, took some pictures for you guys so enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by guerillatwang; 12/22/2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Interesting look... you do know companies like PhantomSkins make full skins with that matte finish. Thanks for sharing!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! Yea, I personally can't stand skins, and the brillo is a rather cheap alternative. :P
    Did it take much time to get it to have an even look?
  5.    #5  
    I probably went over it completely about 4-5 times in less than an hour, and it's pretty smooth. i'll give it probably another 5 coats cause I did this just sitting on my couch watching TV.
    I think it looks cool. You could probably make money doing that for others.

did you tape edges og the touchscreen to keep the edges so straight?

nice job!
    Would this hurt the gesture area on a pre plus?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I've seen the matte finish protectors and I like this a lot more. It's got a nice 'weathered' look to it. It's a nice look.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it looks cool. You could probably make money doing that for others.

did you tape edges og the touchscreen to keep the edges so straight?

nice job!
    Thanks alot! There's no way I could charge someone for this, it's far too easy to DIY, all you do is line the tape (i used duct tape) with the edge of the screen and go at that side, I rotated the tape around 4 times. 2 times I went in long straight lines, the other 2 I did small swirls. I'm going to spend more time on it to make sure every line is perfect and every inch is an even blend.

Quote Originally Posted by xclint6x View Post
    Would this hurt the gesture area on a pre plus?

It didn't affect my gesture area one bit. Should be good to go.
    Oh ok thanks.

Looks Good. I Really Like It. I Will Try It Out.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  12.    #12  
    Bump for new pics from the final polish. I'm happy with it, and just a warning for Pre- users, it will take the silver finish off of the earpiece bar, and the button, it returns them to a white, like the launch day pres.
    You might have better luck using painter's tape instead of duct tape. That should still protect the screen, but be much easier to remove when you're done.
    looks great. I like it alot. Do you know notice any differences in the guesture area? How about cleaning oil from fingers off the surface?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Very cool, I may do it too.

Now that Asurion is out of refurb Pre's - it really doesn't matter... can't get is replaced anymore anyway.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshamano View Post
    You might have better luck using painter's tape instead of duct tape. That should still protect the screen, but be much easier to remove when you're done.
    Yea, I used whatever I had laying around. The duct tape didn't leave any residue, and it was plenty thick enough to protect the screen from scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ForTheRoad View Post
    looks great. I like it alot. Do you know notice any differences in the guesture area? How about cleaning oil from fingers off the surface?
    Nope, Gesture Area functions just as well as ever. That's one area I was really hesitant about doing, but I bit the bullet and it ended up working just fine. Oil comes off just like before, a quick wipe on the jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Very cool, I may do it too.

Now that Asurion is out of refurb Pre's - it really doesn't matter... can't get is replaced anymore anyway.
    Exactly, haha, might as well freshen it up while waiting for the announcements from CES..
    who said assurion is out of refurbs?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    who said assurion is out of refurbs?
    There have been a couple of post's about it around here, and it was brought up on the latest PalmCast in reply to a letter...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    If asurion is out of pre's what are they replacing them with ? anyone know
    nice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast