Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    so I have a vz pre plus that's heavily patched (56) and OC ....just recently a good friend of mine got a new number so I updated his contact info but I wasn't able to text him ( it wouldn't even open the sms window) so I found the thread and did what it said to (partial erase) BUT I was stupid and didn't remove my patches and theme before doing it (i know I know).... My theme was half gone and all of my patches were still in effect but when I re installed preware it showed that no patches were installed. So I figured I'd give it a shot at re installing them all again. I did all that then started trying to install all my homebrew apps but it wouldn't install any apps at all it. I thought it was my data connection but I could get my email and view web pages just fine..... SO I decided since I had already lost all my text convos and phone logs I would just DR and start all over .... It took mabey 20 minutes for it to do its thing and then another couple hours to re download all my apps and sync all my acounts..... Heres where all my ramblings might be helpful. ..... I was so worried I'd have to re sync all my music and ringtones ( my phone has 1.5 gb free) thankfully all my music and ringtones were still there and the bonus is my phone takes WAY less time to reboot (im guessing at least half the time) SO anyone scared about visiting the DR .....DO IT! Its painless! And my phone seems to run so much smoother than before!
    happy endings are good to hear about.

next time, remember to use the "saved package list" option in preware, and then the save/restore app (also in preware)to back up your homebrew info and application data.

that will drastically reduce the effort to get things patched back to what you had before.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    your right about that ....... I should have mentioned that I didn't do it that way cause I wanted to eliminate some of my old patches so I could use some of the "mega" patches ..... Up until this point I hadn't taken the time to eliminate the ones that would interfear with them.
    Knowing that I needed to "doctor" & inspired by your post, the doctor made a house call last night!! Smooooooth as can be & painless too!! Should've done it sooner!! Thnx...
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    glad I could help
    I have doctored 4 times today alone doing some alpha testing. As long as you are backed up it is very painless. I can no longer keep up with the times I doctored. I just save the doctor to my folder and run it whenever needed. Saves time from downloading again.
    I am thinking of doctoring my pre and wifes pixi to start over fresh. Both are running uberkernel. Do I need to uninstall this first or am I good to go?
    A doctor is just like a good rain. It washes everything away. I highly recommend using save restore and the Preware saved package list to save some time.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    A doctor is just like a good rain. It washes everything away. I highly recommend using save restore and the Preware saved package list to save some time.
    I have not Doctored in some time and forgot the details of this process.
    When I use save/restore do I have to back that up on my computer and re-transfer that back or will the app be there after and just tap restore?
    Also, with saved package list, will I have to reinstall PW and then it will remember my patches and install?
    Thanks in advance for the reminder.
    Everybody wants some!..
    saved package list creates a file of preware info in the usb partition. Save/Restore saves app data. Do the saved package first, then save/restore.

The doctor shouldn't erase anything from your usb partition, but just to be safe you should make a copy of everything on your P<

Once you've doctored, reinstall QuickInstall and Preware. In preware you will open the existing package list (don't tell it to create a new one or it will replace that list with nothing, since nothing has been restored.

Once you have opened the existing saved package list, you can tell preware to reinstall everything, or do it manually. some require restarts, so I always to the most important onces (like advanced configs and patches that are combined into a mix) first, and then let it run on automatic.

once the phone has restored all your apps, open the save/restore app and restore your application data.

you will find it very straightforward.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Getting ready to dive into the doctoring.. I recall the last time I did that my battery life significantly improved and everything ran faster. (its been probably 6 months since the last time I did this) It also corrected the stock 'updates' app from thinking I had an update when there really wasn't, as if a deleted app was stuck in the background or something..

I think I will install patches one by one this time which will take a bit of time, 91 installed now, but I want to start with some of the advanced ones that combine a lot of patches together. I never got into these because they conflicted with so many other single patches I didn't want to deal with uninstalling things one at a time until they worked.
    I'm excited and I'm sure once this is done I will be sorry I didn't do it sooner.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    I still recommend that u use the saved package list, even if it is only to have a list of your 90+ patches. You can install thm one at a time, skip ariund, or delete them from within preware. Give it a try!