Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    It seems palm is fixing my number one issue holding me from getting a webos phone app catalog to unofficial countries.....
    webOS App Catalog appearing (in free form) in more countries | PreCentral.net
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm that this works everywhere (I live in egypt) ?
    not everywhere........as yet?????????????????
    Malaysia and Singapore now working, yay!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Malaysia and Singapore now working, yay!
    UH?!

you activated those Pres here?

I can't check as mine was activated in the UK.
    My Malaysian activated Pre can see the catalog, a friend with a Pre Plus could not see the catalog earlier but now he can

Twitter
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    My Malaysian activated Pre can see the catalog, a friend with a Pre Plus could not see the catalog earlier but now he can

Twitter
    I see. I see. Nice. Finally palm's making some sense with the app catalog.
    Personally I don't see why Palm cannot simply make all the app catalogs available to all from anywhere in the world. A person should simply be able to select which app catalog they wish to access and buy from, just like it is for online websites. Ofcourse they could still limit which app store a person can buy from based on the form of payment and the billing address. This way, even those who normally are residents of one country, but are currently in another country, could still purchase from their home country's app store.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I for one love the fact Palm is promoting piracy this way.
    It's so wonderfully ignorant.
    ??? what???
    anyway..what HP has done is finally open up the Catalogu for international users to access..Right now, we can only see apps that have been available as FREE..so we can at least Download them.
    Hopefully they fix the payment mechanism..I'm still amazed..that Palm developer overlooked this important function...of payment and the logic behind taxes etc..the simplest they could have done was to allow for payment via paypal / CC..and it would solve a whole lot of problems.

Secondly - there is a whole large market of users outside USA who like the webos..but is crippled by lack of proper paid apps.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    1009 free apps on my Pre here in Finland. Finally!
    Loaded Angry birds already. Great!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Not yet available in Croatia
    I only get message "The action could not be completed this time. Please try again later"
    Very true.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    Secondly - there is a whole large market of users outside USA who like the webos..but is crippled by lack of proper paid apps.

*Pssss....you forgot about the part where they don't like you know, actually sell the devices in those countries leaving users to stalk ebay or mobile phone websites just to get a unit.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    So its back to were it was 12 months ago. Nice to see it working, guess i need to change my signature now.

Thank you Santa for bringing us free apps.

Edited:
    Spotify not available.
    Last edited by Andreas; 12/26/2010 at 05:07 AM.
    my app catalogue is opening now but it has Zero apps.where are my free apps
    Yeah, as if piracy needs any kind of promotion...

I can tell you something: After one entire month of Forums availability in the App Catalog, my over 1100 hours (and continue growing) of work coding the app have been paid with 159 purchases (thank you all), and another 100 people using the app for free.

At 2,99 and after Palm's cut that's $332, and $200 lost because of piracy. Thats about getting paid $0,30 bucks per hour. I would be fine with those 200 more, just because webOS market right now it's as is, but 40% of people stealing my work and (possibly) asking for support too?

What I must do with that? Maybe I should keep my apps for myself? Maybe raise the price to 19,95 or 29,95 (old style pricing) to minimize the damage of piracy and price elasticity?

It's really so hard to pay 3 bucks for an app to get free updates with new features and also get things that you find useful?

If you can't purchase apps, you can always contact the dev to get alternatives, but "I can't purchase apps" or "I've paid in one device" it's only an excuse.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Don't app developers who have apps in the App Catalog sign some kind of exclusivity deal with Palm, preventing them from selling their app through other channels?

They would be breaking their contract with Palm if they sell their product out of the App Catalog.
    Is that correct?
    No, because App Catalog is the exclusive distribution method only in the countries where the App Catalog is available.

If the App Catalog isn't available, there is no agreement you can break.

Anyways, do you want to know how many people has asked me about this since October 2009?two, and since Forums availability, 1.

What most people doesn't realize is that webOS devs are here because the want to help the platform to succeed.

We are webOS fans, and of course we want some bucks for our work, but we know exactly the ecosystem, and that we can't get paid (just) a fair amount of money for our work. This is not Android, this is not iOS... We can't earn 7000 bucks a month with webOS (hell, hardly Rovio can do it!).

We just want to promote the App Catalog, show to the rest of the world what webOS can do, and pick a few dollars.

If I feel that this doesn't worth it, I'll start thinking on moving to where there are real possibilities of earning money...

At this moment, stealing us is stealing yourselves, guys.

OK, I'm asking because I've heard dozens of stories of users in unofficial countries who contacted developers for apps outside of the App Catalog, and were told this was not possible because of the exclusivity deal...

And for the record; I'm not promoting piracy. I run homebrew apps and donate.
    Asi que no te pongas de mala ostia conmigo
    Just venting, dude.

La mayoría de desarrolladores imagino que pasan del tema, porque normalmente lo que hace la gente es directamente pedir el ipk, no soluciones para descargar las aplicaciones...

(Most developers keep away of this because usually people just ask for the ipk, not about solutions to download it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast