Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Yeah, as if piracy needs any kind of promotion...

I can tell you something: After one entire month of Forums availability in the App Catalog, my over 1100 hours (and continue growing) of work coding the app have been paid with 159 purchases (thank you all), and another 100 people using the app for free.

At 2,99 and after Palm's cut that's $332, and $200 lost because of piracy. Thats about getting paid $0,30 bucks per hour. I would be fine with those 200 more, just because webOS market right now it's as is, but 40% of people stealing my work and (possibly) asking for support too?

What I must do with that? Maybe I should keep my apps for myself? Maybe raise the price to 19,95 or 29,95 (old style pricing) to minimize the damage of piracy and price elasticity?

It's really so hard to pay 3 bucks for an app to get free updates with new features and also get things that you find useful?

If you can't purchase apps, you can always contact the dev to get alternatives, but "I can't purchase apps" or "I've paid in one device" it's only an excuse.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Actually, I totally understand the point GuyFromNam is making, and I myself made some comment about this some time ago. I have a Spanish pre in Australia, I do have access to the full catalog, but no way to purchase apps, because my australian credit card wont work in the spanish app cat.

I have contacted developers directly and paid for apps, but it's a hassle to get updates etc.

The ONLY reason I bothered to jailbreak my iPhone initially was so that I could get "access" to an app that was only available in the US app store, we don't live in countries anymore, we live in a global marketplace, restricting access to anything these days, usually encourages someone to find a workaround.

I'm NOT passing judgment, or suggesting it's right, just saying that it happens.

That said, i really wanted to try forums, and discovered it was a paid app, something about the whole WebOS vibe has stopped me pirating ANY apps on my Pre :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

There's a very specific reason why this happened, which I explain in another thread, and also how to search for these now internationally-available apps:

How to search for AC country code apps?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well I'd just add my vote to hoping Palm will find a way for us to legally buy apps from developers in countries like Australia.

The reality is I have found my Palm Pre's usefulness has been seriously hampered by an inability to buy apps in Australia....while Homebrew and the free ones have been great...I am still missing some basic apps like Classic Note, a full version of the Bible and other useful commercial offerings..

As I'm not going to 'steal' from developers...I actually have no way to get these apps.

You can have all the functionaility in the world with WEBOS...and it is great....but a lack of paid apps does tend to 'punish' users who have supported Palm in unofficial countries.
    Nothing here, in Brazil...

And; yes, I agree that this only give force to piracy.

Here; for example, we no have the catalog option, and is not everybody that know how to contact the developer or explain the situation. Serious. Is not for money, but look for piracy, is more easy than contact, awaiting for reply, to pay and received...

Can to be logical, but if the developer give some option to buy directly; as selling directly in his site, there is more chances to help this customers to buy, but I know that is not so interesting invest in this option, too...

In THIS EXACT MOMENT I have four peoples here; in Brazil, that want to buy many softwares, but no have this option...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    So its back to were it was 12 months ago. Nice to see it working, guess i need to change my signature now.
    Thank you Santa for bringing us free apps.
    I agree Andreas! App Catalogue with free apps working on my Pre in Sweden with Telia. This is a great step forward for us unofficial Pre-owners, even without the paid apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Spotify not available.
    Yes. And by the way, I think the lack of country-specific apps is worse than the lack of paid ones. I would like to see subway timetables, restauarant guides, etc, for Sweden and any country I go to in Europe.
    App Catalog is openning without an error message. But there is no any app in Catalog in Turkey @Turkcell...
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptooth View Post
    App Catalog is openning without an error message. But there is no any app in Catalog in Turkey @Turkcell...
    yes i am having this same problem also.When the App Catalog was available in 2009 all were accessible
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    If you can't purchase apps, you can always contact the dev to get alternatives, but "I can't purchase apps" or "I've paid in one device" it's only an excuse.
    I'd be happy to do that. I had no idea that was an alternative. I belong to the people who WANT to pay for their apps, and what is more I "grew up" with apps costing 29-70 $. I have no pirated apps on my Pre2 (I didn't even know there WERE pirated apps). But what you are talking about would need some infrastructure. What about creating one? Perhaps in these forums, there could be some way to contact devs & buy apps directly from the developers for people like me, who "unfortunately" don't live in a country that allows them to buy apps the normal way. There are many apps I WANT to buy but can't, and while you may be willing to put in the time to sell me one of your apps (how would that work anyway? in practice?) I'm pretty sure the major developers will just say, sorry, see ya...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fredrikk View Post
    I agree Andreas! App Catalogue with free apps working on my Pre in Sweden with Telia. This is a great step forward for us unofficial Pre-owners, even without the paid apps.

Yes. And by the way, I think the lack of country-specific apps is worse than the lack of paid ones. I would like to see subway timetables, restauarant guides, etc, for Sweden and any country I go to in Europe.
    Fredrikk, perhaps it would be an idea to set up a new sub-forum for people like us? Or even a wholly new forum, but that would be pushing it I guess... PreCentral is great, but there's a lot of stuff that doesn't really pertain to us, like stuff concerning US mobile operators etc. etc.

At the same time, there's not just the apps but a whole range of other issues that we have in common, or are more important for us.

I use my Pre2 with both Swedish & Polish sim cards (I commute a lot), by the way.
  10. SashoDikov
    im glad it now works for you - i am in the other boat - catalog has been working for me on an activated in bulgaria pre until the week before christmas when i was kicked out of my profile and the catalog started displayind nada applications

it is probably because i subjected it to too much wqui hackery and have too much stuff to backup before i doctor and report if it will be fixed
    well i am anxiously awaiting next week yet i have no access to the app catalog though there are more apps in the All countries category.i am only getting the "the action could not be completed.try again later"please stop the mistake palm mad HP and allow full access to the app catalog
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12