View Poll Results: Will the WebOS 2.0 update make the original Pre useless?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Pre will be no slower and might even be better.

109 92.37%
  • The Pre won't be able to handle it; the performance will be so bad that it'll become useless.

9 7.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do you all think? Will the original Pre be able to handle WebOS 2.0 or will it perform so bad that the Pre becomes useless?

We've seen it happen with iOS and the iPhone.

I must admit, that I don't have much faith in Palm and am saving my pennies for a new phone...but you never know.
    I don't think there's anything to worry about with that one.
    How about adding a chice of "the pre will be faster", it may actually be correct!!!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I'm thinking, the Pre will be no slower and will be even better..
    Everybody wants some!..
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I'm a bit skeptical. The Pre 2's speed improvements look like they come from the processor - even the boottime. I bet Pre'es and Pre Pluses would boot faster too if overclocking was applied to boot time.

But hey, let's be optimistic.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    I think that 2.0 and it's subsequent updates will better optimize the OS on our phones, allowing for faster and more efficient use.
    I have no information upon which to base an informed opinion, so I will just wait and see.
    WebOS 2.0 will make the original Pre usefill!

With memory optimization, removal of obsolete PalmOS emulation code and built in patches the original Pre and Pixi should perform better and boot quicker.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    this question seems to get asked, (in one form or another), every few days... <sigh>

..."webOS 2.0 will be rolled out _to all devices_ in the coming months"

...believe it, don't believe it. ...I'm just gonna wait and see.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Why'd it be slower? The only real additions were the stack of cards view and flash. Flash has been demonstrated to work well way back when they were first talking about Flash on WebOS. Stack of cards is... uh just a different way of viewing the cards.
    It wont once the kernel updates for Govnah are released to get it back to 1ghz. Would be like having a Pre2 and we know how smooth the Pre2 is handling webos 2.0
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I would certainly hope it's better. At the very least, the UI is said to be hardware accelerated in 2.0, which should help take some of the load off of the CPU.
    I can't imagine it being slower since all I hear about is how much quicker webOS 2 is on what is basically very similar core hardware (Pre 2 vs Pre). Like others have also said, once you bring overclocking back into the mix the differences become even less.
    I think it will all work fine. It's magic that way
    I am almost always an optimist so I am hoping it will be a nice addition.
    I love the phone and even though I have moved on my wife is enjoying it now and all the things that are out there can transform this once sluggish phone into a very snappy little device.
    So I would be very surprised if 2.0 makes our original pre's turn into useless dogs if that does happen palm might as well pack it in.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I think webos 2.0 will improve proformance and like addiarmadar said when uk and govnah update and are compatible on webos 2.0 the orinial PALM PRE will be great ( and if not nothing less then webos 1.4.5) so I'm excited! And their testing webos 2.0 on the original palm pre and if they didn't think I could hadle it they wouldn't allow the update or people would leave palm. So theirs nothing to worriy about. And iv talked to an official member of palm in person and he said he's used it and its great!
    i just cant wait to get the update!! sorry it sounds stupid but this was my first post..
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Why'd it be slower? The only real additions were the stack of cards view and flash. Flash has been demonstrated to work well way back when they were first talking about Flash on WebOS. Stack of cards is... uh just a different way of viewing the cards.
    iOS 4 for the Apple devices took quite a bit more memory(RAM) than the previous versions, so it had the effect of slowing down older iDevices. It wasn't that it was slower, but the increased memory "footprint" resulted in slowdowns for many people.

WebOS 2.x should not increase RAM usage, and due to many changes, will be faster.

Remember, a lack of system memory(not storage space) will cause huge performance drops. Now, if you decide to turn on Flash under WebOS 2.0, that has the potential to cause some problems with web browsing due to the 256MB of RAM in the original Palm Pre that those with a Plus version would not see.
    I was assuming Palm would put some sort of hardware identifier code into the WebOS 2 upgrade that detects which hardware it's getting loaded onto.. AND when it's loaded to an original Pre it will dumb down some of the more intensive features.

Right? Geez the new Pre2 has nearly twice as much horsepower as a non-overclocked Pre(1) WebOS 2 probably runs great on a Pre2 but would be too pokey on a Pre1 otherwise..
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    I was assuming Palm would put some sort of hardware identifier code into the WebOS 2 upgrade that detects which hardware it's getting loaded onto.. AND when it's loaded to an original Pre it will dumb down some of the more intensive features.

Right? Geez the new Pre2 has nearly twice as much horsepower as a non-overclocked Pre(1) WebOS 2 probably runs great on a Pre2 but would be too pokey on a Pre1 otherwise..
    Nope. Palm and various carriers have said it will be available for all current hardware. And remember that most developers are using Pre- and Pre+ devices still.

No worries.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast