Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I had my phone replace about a month ago and I've notice that I have certain contacts that will not let me text them.. When in the drop down of the contact app I tap the SMS icon and nothing happens or with I go to the SMS app and type the contacts name it goes into the field but when I enter the text that I want to send and press send nothing happens.. Is anyone familar with this problem? I've tried everything from deleting and re-entering the contact to just text the # without the contact saved.. Plz help...
    Check to see if those contacts mobile numbers are labeled Fax or pager... Instead of mobile or home etc..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezer29 View Post
    I had my phone replace about a month ago and I've notice that I have certain contacts that will not let me text them.. When in the drop down of the contact app I tap the SMS icon and nothing happens or with I go to the SMS app and type the contacts name it goes into the field but when I enter the text that I want to send and press send nothing happens.. Is anyone familar with this problem? I've tried everything from deleting and re-entering the contact to just text the # without the contact saved.. Plz help...
    It is a known problem. It happens from a very specific order of events/actions. Here is the fix...

1. Delete the contact in every place/profile it exists in.
    2. Do a manual backup of your Palm Profile
    3. Do an Apps and Data Erase from Device Info, Reset Options
    4. Re-load your Palm profile
    5. Add the person/people back to your contacts.

You should be fine after that.

There are other options out there that require editing your database. You can search for those if you want. The method above was provided by Palm Support (HardBeatZ).

HERE is how you get the problem.

Here is how you fix it.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Hi Jezer,

Follow the great suggestion above from pastorrich1... you can also take a look at this thread to see others who have experienced this issue.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...c-contact.html
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I work at a Sprint and this happened to one of my customers. I did a hard reset. It worked then a couple days later other contacts did the same thing. Did a warranty swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    I work at a Sprint and this happened to one of my customers. I did a hard reset. It worked then a couple days later other contacts did the same thing. Did a warranty swap.
    Interesting... since this is normally a Palm Profile issue in the database and not a hardware issue.

Palm would be well served to monitor the Pre Central forums and catalog the issues and fixes presented here and provide them to their own tech support people as well as the carriers so they can know best how to fix issues like these. In the end it makes the manufacturer and carrier look better and gives the customer a better sense of confidence and satisfaction in their product.

They should just hire me to get that program going...
    Does this fix wipe our your text history? I thought of doing this but was worried my old texts would be deleted by resetting my phone.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chilin View Post
    Does this fix wipe our your text history? I thought of doing this but was worried my old texts would be deleted by resetting my phone.

thanks
    +1 I want to know the same thing... Need to keep the text and call history

thanks
    Yes it will erase your text history.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Interesting... since this is normally a Palm Profile issue in the database and not a hardware issue.

Palm would be well served to monitor the Pre Central forums and catalog the issues and fixes presented here and provide them to their own tech support people as well as the carriers so they can know best how to fix issues like these. In the end it makes the manufacturer and carrier look better and gives the customer a better sense of confidence and satisfaction in their product.

They should just hire me to get that program going...
    All fixes and work arounds that are found (and brought to the attention of Palm I can't catch everything here) are documented and presented to our tech support staff. Updating all of the staff at various cell providers however is a little trickier and longer process.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    It will continue to happen for the user anytime they save a contact using a specific path of saving it. It's something that we are currently investigating as to what is causing the issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

I've read several posts, where it has happened to people when they have saved a new contact from the call log.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Yes it will erase your text history.
    that sucks. is there any way to save my texts before wiping them and later restoring them back to the phone?
    any ideas?
    Last edited by chilin; 12/21/2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    All fixes and work arounds that are found (and brought to the attention of Palm I can't catch everything here) are documented and presented to our tech support staff. Updating all of the staff at various cell providers however is a little trickier and longer process.
    We know you are here looking and helping and appreciate it very much.

I just had the thought as I was typing the response. It wasn't a dig at Palm, just a thought that there is a lot of helpful information that has been tried and tested and would be useful to those who provide support, especially the carriers....
    that sucks. is there any way to save my texts before wiping them and later restoring them back to the phone?
    There is a safe solution to half of this. Use the Save/Restore app from Preware to save a copy of all of your SMS messages in an HTML file for later reference. You can do whatever you like with that. However you cannot restore them safely. It has a huge potential of hosing your database.
    thanks for the info pastorrich1.
    thanks for the info pastorrich1.
    You are welcome.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Hey I want to thank all of you guys who provided info and tips on how to solve this issue.. I went and did just like ya said. Deleted the contacts I had problems with, cleared my call log and messaging, did a partial erase, signed back into my Palm Profile and vola! All is good