1.    #1  
    I have an original Sprint Pre since day 1. I'm still using it every day, and it does mostly what I want. Although I admit I think I'm now having 4G speed envy. A friend showed me his iPhone playing a movie from a website called Veetle.com (spelling?) and I was impressed. I tried to do the same on my Pre, but no luck. Oh well, there's something else better on the horizon from Sprint I'm guessing.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    However, your friend's iPhone isn't running 4G (despite it's unfortunate name), It's possible that he was in particularly good AT&T coverage at that moment and you didn't have great Sprint coverage in the same place, but his iPhone and the Sprint 3G network operate at pretty much the same speed.

Are you overclocking your Pre?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    No the OP is right, I have had "races" with my iPhone and Evo totting friends (on WiFi so it wasn't carrier dependent). And even with my pre OC'd to 1.2Ghz they usually beat me at youtube videos, camera functions, and websites. But they can't hold a stick to my multitasking haha. We actually had little races (like super dorks) of who's phone can do what faster. And when it was just doing one function at a time the Pre would lag behind the other two BUT when we did a race in which we had to Post a message to twitter, post a message to facebook, load a youtube video, load a website and send text messages to each other, I dominated. Absolutely dominated.

So the OP is right when he says video vs video the iPhone wins. But its really annoying doing more than one thing on any phone that isn't a Pre
    It must be differences in network coverage. I've done the same thing here and there is no difference between my VZW Pre and any iPhone or android I've compared. I have no problem watching videos from youtube. It must depend on which part of the country?
    I think coverage has a lot of bearing on it, because in this area, AT&T coverage sucks and my Pre can outdo any of their phones, including the iPhone4. My son's Pre does the same thing in the area he's in.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    using speedtests the att network smokes the sprint 3g network here in houston. Done several tests. But 4g is about 3-5 times faster than att.
    I was expecting this to be someone claiming that there was a 4G envy FEATURE phone announced for Verizon and they were going to complain about the lack of Palm announcements, etc.

I was disappointed.
    well when i see people who have 4g envy, they usually say they don't need it, or they don't want to pay the extra $$ for it, or it just it isn't very good in their area. you can use one of those defense mechanisms if it makes you feel better.
    Well before anyone gets 4G envy, Take a look at this info i read a while back. 4g isnt really what its cracked up to be.

http ://gizmodo.com/5680755/the-dirty-secret-of-todays-4g-its-not-4g
    Not to get too off-topic here, but the ITU "4G" definition dispute is stupid. That would be like saying that a 20MB fiber internet connection isn't "high speed internet" because Japan is getting 1GB internet. Right now they're saying many DSL connections aren't high speed. It's all relative.

If the ITU wants to set a standard that nobody is going to actually implement for years, they should call it 5G. If they wanted to set the speed standard for 4G, they're late to the game.

Anyways, the real concern (as opposed to mere envy) is when the carriers start switching towers to 4G "optimized" so they can claim to have the fastest speeds at the expense of 3G. I heard that AT&T crippled 2G to make way for 3G when the iPhone 3G came out.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It must be differences in network coverage. I've done the same thing here and there is no difference between my VZW Pre and any iPhone or android I've compared. I have no problem watching videos from youtube. It must depend on which part of the country?
    Well we were on the same wifi, so the carrier/area of country didn't matter. However I do have a Pre Minus vs. your Pre Plus so that maybe why yours kept up with the iPhone and Android and mine lagged behind by a bit.
  12.    #12  
    Are you overclocking your Pre?[/QUOTE]

Hi, no my Pre isn't overclocked. It's the way it came out of the Sprint box.

BTW: I'm even getting envious over other phones having wifi hotspot capability with 4G speed. I have MyTether installed on my Sprint Pre, but it's not fast enough for things like videos, etc. If I had my wish, I just want a Pre or Pre-like phone with more speed, more memory, less lag time, and less freezing-up. My Pre has been freezing up a bit too often and I have to do soft resets once a day lately. But I digress. To further digress, I keep getting that crazy message from Gmail that says my password isn't recognized, and I need to re-enter my password yet again. This has been happening every single day for past week. Okay enuff with digressing!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Well, envy can only make you feel bad.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Sprint's network is slow where I live. Their 4G network here generally gets the same speeds as their 3G network - if not slower. Wiimax underperforms.
    LTE appears to show some promise, just as far as trial areas go it seems to match up with T-Mobile's HSPA+ (advertised as 4G) speeds.
    IMO AT&T and T-Mobile have the right idea - keep using HSPA+ as a cheaper alternative with similar results; Though AT&T is just starting to deploy HSPA+ from what I hear, they're planning on upgrading to LTE like Verizon.

/4G rant
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    The Evo 4G beats the Pre in speed because it's 4G.

The iPhone beats the Pre in speed because AT&T's 3G service is top tier. Mine handily beat my father's Droid Incredible in load times when both phones had good signal. I know in Baltimore AT&T has a vastly better 3G network than Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Are you overclocking your Pre?

Hi, no my Pre isn't overclocked. It's the way it came out of the Sprint box.

BTW: I'm even getting envious over other phones having wifi hotspot capability with 4G speed. I have MyTether installed on my Sprint Pre, but it's not fast enough for things like videos, etc. If I had my wish, I just want a Pre or Pre-like phone with more speed, more memory, less lag time, and less freezing-up. My Pre has been freezing up a bit too often and I have to do soft resets once a day lately. But I digress. To further digress, I keep getting that crazy message from Gmail that says my password isn't recognized, and I need to re-enter my password yet again. This has been happening every single day for past week. Okay enuff with digressing! [/QUOTE]

Things tethered to my Verizon Pre Plus still download at around 2Mbit and upload at around 300-500Kbits. I use it when I'm at my college way up in the PA mountains where the DSL kind of sucks to play on XBL and stream media.

You have to remember that Sprint's network isn't really in the same category as that of AT&T and Verizon.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
    The Evo 4G beats the Pre in speed because it's 4G.

The iPhone beats the Pre in speed because AT&T's 3G service is top tier. Mine handily beat my father's Droid Incredible in load times when both phones had good signal. I know in Baltimore AT&T has a vastly better 3G network than Verizon.
    No, it's because even though Sprint's smartphone data might be free - doesn't mean it's fast.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Sprint's network is slow where I live. Their 4G network here generally gets the same speeds as their 3G network - if not slower.
    I recently played with an Epic and an Evo at a Sprint store. I was shocked at how fast pages were loading. They loaded instantly. I tried a variety of sites and the speed was incredible compared to my Pre.

Sure, Android isn't as nice as webOS, but if HP doesn't come out with some killer phones next year, I won't have a problem switching to Android.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I have an original Sprint Pre since day 1. I'm still using it every day, and it does mostly what I want. Although I admit I think I'm now having 4G speed envy.

A friend showed me his iPhone playing a movie from a website called Veetle.com (spelling?) and I was impressed. I tried to do the same on my Pre, but no luck. Oh well, there's

something else better on the horizon from Sprint I'm guessing.
    Keep dreamin' baby, 'cause it ain't gonna happen!
    Throughput (speed, bandwidth etc) is but 1 measurement of network performance. Though, it's the 1 that most people speak of.

Another key measurement is latency (delay). On 1 way transmissions (loading web page, streaming media...) delay isn't much of big deal. However, it's critical on 2 way, real-time communications (VoIP VIoIP...). You can't sustain ship-to-shore radio-type delay (roger/over) on these protocols.

In TRUE 4G standards, latency is minimal. However, ATT & TMO are touting their current technologies as 4G, based merely on throughput measurements. LTE & WiMAX have both been discounted as lacking actual 4G standards. Though, they both significantly decrease latency and set the stage for "carrier grade" VoIP.