Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Over the past 2 days, my Pre battery life has gone all strange. Twice, I've been sitting at around 75% battery life, and then suddenly, I get the Low Battery Warning popup message, and then 5 minutes later the battery life is extinguished.

And when I go to recharge via the car charger, it doesn't seem to take a charge, as the battery life indicator is unchanged no matter how long I'm connected. Last night, I had the phone connected to the charger, while the battery life showed 0%. Oddly, the battery charges fine on the touchstone. Not sure about USB-centric solutions.

This is not an old battery, and in fact the phone and battery are probably less than 6 months in service.

Any ideas about a solution, apart from getting another battery?
    Calibrate the battery via the Dr.Battery app.

Dr.Battery
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/18/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I've found that when the battery goes to zero, it can't be charged by a car charger. Connecting to a USB port or to an electrical outlet is the only answer. I had a real challenge with holding battery charge this week at a conference where the cell signal was very low. Now that I'm home, I'm going to see how the charge holds.
    Quote Originally Posted by DWEIL View Post
    Over the past 2 days, my Pre battery life has gone all strange. Twice, I've been sitting at around 75% battery life, and then suddenly, I get the Low Battery Warning popup message, and then 5 minutes later the battery life is extinguished.
    If you are getting the "death drop" when it's at 75%, it sounds like your battery is shot and I don't think calibrating it with Dr. Battery will do much good but you can go ahead and try it.

Amazon currently has OEM Palm Pre batteries for only $3.14 shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    I've found that when the battery goes to zero, it can't be charged by a car charger. Connecting to a USB port or to an electrical outlet is the only answer. I had a real challenge with holding battery charge this week at a conference where the cell signal was very low. Now that I'm home, I'm going to see how the charge holds.
    Sounds like your car charger isn't providing enough current.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    If you are getting the "death drop" when it's at 75%, it sounds like your battery is shot and I don't think calibrating it with Dr. Battery will do much good but you can go ahead and try it.
    He'll certainly find out with the results from calibrating
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 07:36 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Buy a couple OEM batteries. There is no future for your old battery. That performance degradation is drastic.
    Prē
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Same thing happened to my pre batt.

I went ahead and bought 2 OEM batteries off Ebay for aprx $11. It solved the problem.
    I had the exact same thing in a 10 month old battery. I bought the 1400 mAh Mugen on ebay for $40 and the improvement is drastic. When the OEM battery was new it would just make it for 8 hours with my normal usage this one will go 14 - 16 hours with some to spare. I know the original is 1150 mAh and the math doesn't work out but I get almost twice the life out of this one. I'm sure it if I was an electrical engineer it would all make sense.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by briwest View Post
    I had the exact same thing in a 10 month old battery. I bought the 1400 mAh Mugen on ebay for $40 and the improvement is drastic. When the OEM battery was new it would just make it for 8 hours with my normal usage this one will go 14 - 16 hours with some to spare. I know the original is 1150 mAh and the math doesn't work out but I get almost twice the life out of this one. I'm sure it if I was an electrical engineer it would all make sense.
    I was thinking of getting the 1400mah battery but will it work with the Touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ejscarfo View Post
    I was thinking of getting the 1400mah battery but will it work with the Touchstone?
    Any battery that works with the Pre will work with the touchstone, as long as you have the touchstone cover that fits on the back of the phone.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejscarfo View Post
    Yes. It's the same size and doesn't add any extra bulk, hence you can still use your touchstone back cover.

Actually, the larger batteries work as well...with that mod done on their back covers to attach the puck and magnets.
    Mine is doing this, but the circumstances make it obvious that it isn't a bad battery. It is December and I'm spending time outside on a wind turbine construction site. Its the battery getting too cold.

If you have Govnah installed, check your temperature. When I'm outside in the freezing taking videos with my phone, the battery will suddenly "drop to 0" as the internal temperature drops to 5-15 deg C. I then have to run to the car and throw the phone on dash to warm it up before it will accept a charge.

I got on the forums hoping to find a magic solution for this. Might be heat loss through the touchstone coil, idk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Amazon currently has OEM Palm Pre batteries for only $3.14 shipped.

I had to do a double take... are these batteries this cheap all the time? I'm thinking of getting like 5 extras.. that's dirt cheap for a battery! My old LG phone batteries cost upwards ~$50+
    I have tried to use Dr. Battery numerous times, only for it to never calibrate and say there was an error.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

I had to do a double take... are these batteries this cheap all the time?
    I think that's the cheapest they've been in awhile. I'm guessing that since the Pre didn't sell as well as people hoped, there are those that have a bunch of batteries they need to get rid of, so they are just trying to minimize their losses by selling so cheap.

Just my opinion of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I have tried to use Dr. Battery numerous times, only for it to never calibrate and say there was an error.
    Did you place your phone in Airplane mode and try (as instructed if it errors out)?

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Yeah, I've never gotten it to work either. It never gets to the magic voltage before the phone shuts down.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    If it is less than 6 months old as you say then its should be replaceable under warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    If it is less than 6 months old as you say then its should be replaceable under warranty.
    The battery follows the same warranty as the device, so it comes with a one year warranty.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast