Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Hey all... Former Blackberry user who just got their pre plus in the mail. Creating a new profile as we speak or type or whatever :-)

I've looked over a lot of the advice and the "newbie guide"... Any other advice of what I should do or download right out of the box?

Suggestions are welcome...
    Don't ask for the testing feeds if you want to use the testing overclock kernels.
    Welcome!

All I can say is start by installing Preware. There are a great number of patches that become available to you after that! 3 of my favorites are:
    Better Quicker Flicker
    Video Camera Flashlight
    Video Downloads
    don't put your contacts and calendar in the palm profile because you can't access it from a browser.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/17/2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Welcome! Hang out in here, and you'll learn everything you need to know.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Excellent... Preware is where I think i'm going to start as soon as 1.4.5 gets finished downloading. Looking forward to it.
    Welcome Newbie!
    First get to know your new Pre Plus before trying to make it over.

Then install Preware so you can add patches to customize the UI to your liking.

I wouldn’t overclock unless the speed is not what you need to use the phone comfortably.

Browse the app catalog and put what applications on your phone that you think you would enjoy.

Lastly – hang out on Pre|Central to get the most out of your new Pre Plus.

Let us know what you think of webOS vs the Blackberry OS.

Enjoy your new Pre Plus – you’re going to love it!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    LED Torch over Video Camera Flashlight. It gives the flashlight its own app.

Send my location. I used something similar to send my location to friends rather than trying to give them directions. Awesome when inebriated or under the influence.

Facebook Beta over regular Facebook. Adds places and a litke more functionality.

News and The Weather Channel for... news and weather.

Music Remix because it's amazing, Pandora as an extension of the Plus' 16GB.

Paches:
    Add IMDB (to universal search)

Adblock

Add Option to Send Link Message: Long hold on a link lets you send it in a text or email, rather than just an email.

Battery Icon a Percent

Close on hangup: Closes phone app after hanging up the phone

Close slider to end calls

Delete all conversations and texts

Disable lightbar

Hold tap context menu

Simple Shutter Sound Off

Toggle 3G in Device Menu (English Only)

Ubercalendar

Unthrottle download manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    don't put your contacts and calendar in the palm profile because you can't access it from a browser.
    I would play devils advocate against this and argue that putting your data wherever you put it has pros and cons. It's about understanding what choices and options you have and using the place that best suits your needs.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I know. I'm trying to think of a use case where not being able to access my info from anywhere but my phone would be preferred. I see lots of people that have problems because they didn't realize they wouldn't be able to get to that info.

just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Agreed. And if you have the need to do any significant periodic editing of your contact list, keep it out of the Palm Profile.
    read through the 'tips' section here at precentral. there is a ton of useful info that will make you like your phone better.