Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As of right now, I don't have a single patch and I'm not overclocked. I mostly haven't bothered with it b/c it seems a bit confusing, but I also don't want to do anything that will drink up my battery. As it is, I don't have much of a problem with battery life, but I don't want to do anything that will cause my phone to suck battery life while it's just sitting in my desk drawer at work.

Since I've made the decision to ride out my 2 year contract with the Pre Plus, I wondered if I should start doing some patching. I'd like some suggestions as to what patches people would consider "essential". I'm pretty happy with my Pre Plus as it is, but if it's conceivable that it could do more then I don't see why not to try it out. How difficult is it to install a patch? How difficult is it to uninstall one I don't want anymore?

Thanks!

p.s. I also have no idea where to go to get patches.
    Wow, after all this time and reading your complaints I'm surprised that you haven't optimized your pre with overclocking and patches galore. As soon as you start, you'll immediately feel like you have new hardware and an updated os. Welcome
    HUWAAAAAAAAAHHH????

I thought for sure...

Well never mind... Ok well goto http://install.preware.org

That will give you instructions on how to get preware on your phone... You could also grab my FAQ

Patches are easy to install.. Press a button Boom... Action Time!

If you need help just come back here and we'll answer what you need.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Wow, after all this time and reading your complaints I'm surprised that you haven't optimized your pre with overclocking and patches galore. As soon as you start, you'll immediately feel like you have new hardware and an updated os. Welcome
    To be fair, I don't think I've ever really complained about the Pre Plus (aside from VZW's crippling of the GPS). All my complaints have been directed at HP/Palm's "launch" of the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    To be fair, I don't think I've ever really complained about the Pre Plus (aside from VZW's crippling of the GPS). All my complaints have been directed at HP/Palm's "launch" of the Pre 2.
    Feel free to PM me anytime you need help. I will give you an email so you can get me on the fly. That is if you want/need my help.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  6.    #6  
    Awesome, thanks!

So, if I install Preware on my phone, then I can just use my phone to choose patches I want to install w/o having to hook back up to my pc?

What's a "kernel"?
    Yes you can. Some patches needs to be removed before installing an other one. Read the info of each patch before install.
    The kernel is the mainpart of the operating system (Linux).
    EDIT: To overclock you need a modified kernel.
    You may be surprised that your battery life may improve when using some of the overclocking kernels.
    Well if anything, start with uberkernal and Govnah and set it to the 500/1000 screenstate profile. After that, everything else is mainly customizing your phone to how YOU want it. The Advanced Preferences patches are nice to start with.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Well if anything, start with uberkernal and Govnah and set it to the 500/1000 screenstate profile. After that, everything else is mainly customizing your phone to how YOU want it. The Advanced Preferences patches are nice to start with.
    Do I get uberkernel and Govnah from Preware as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    go for 500/800 screen state.. enough punch with better batt than 500/1000 IMHO
    yes
    Yeah. You can search preware. When it first opens, just start typing and press the return button. Im pretty sure UberKernal is in the main feed but its been so long I dont remember. If its not you might have to manage your feeds in the app menu.
    With a Pre Plus it is not as essential to install a OC kernel as it is for those of us who have Pre Minuses Lol. This is due to the fact that the Pre Plus has 512Mb of ram compared to only 256Mb on the Pre Minus. That being said you should experience smoother performance and faster loading of apps with the Uberkernel.

I would recommend installing Preware and getting your feet wet with some patches and take it from there. Additionally with Preware you can also install homebrew apps.

Highly recommended apps would be: Save/Restore, Mode Switcher, Music Remix 2.0, Internalz, Dr. Battery, Luna Manager and Terminal.

Please feel free to reach out if you need any help or have questions. Enjoy!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Just remember Preware's not just about crankin' up the clock speed. There are some simple UI patches that I can't live without. I'd say the "top bar" is quite often the first thing to be fixed when I install Preware. Battery % (sideways bat), date, modified menus with better control of wifi, bluetooth, phone, etc.

I suggest just going to the patch list, listing them all, and trying the ones that sound interesting. You can always uninstall if you don't like it.

- Phil -
    Another thing we forgot to answer for you...Patches are really easy to uninstall as well. Preware handles that. If you select installed packages and select the patch you want uninstalled, just select remove and its gone. But remember, every patch that is installed or uninstalled requires a luna restart for it to take effect. Preware should ask you if you want to restart now or later each time.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    So am i and i'm largely content. Boring i know.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    So am i and i'm largely content. Boring i know.
    I'm in the same boath. I guess I feel like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, I think I'm ready to step out and see what all this patch business is about. If it can make my phone do some cool things, then I'm all for it.
    Like vza33 pointed out. There are different things you can do with preware:
    • Patches
      change existing apps to look different/ do different thinks
    • Themes
      to change the look of the device/OS
    • Apps
      like regular app store apps. Because there are limitations to what an official app is allowed to do, these apps can do more, e.g. Access the filesystem or using undocumented features. For example Dr.Battery let you analyze and calibrate the battery. This feature will never be available in the official app cat.
    Last edited by somline; 12/16/2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    This community has made patching and tweaking your phone so easy and seamless. If you install the OC Kernel you will really feel like you have a new phone. I think it is a lot of fun to change up your phone every once in a while with all of the different patches and it is all very easy to do.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast