Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Yankboy -- welcome to the world of patches. Not only is it a bit addictive, it's quite easy to do. There are some interesting write-ups and polls to be found about the best patches. One of these is: http://www.precentral.net/theres-patch-part-2-0 (look at parts 1, 2 and 3 -- some of the patches are out-of-date)

For me, as a heavy-calendar user, Ubercalendar is an essential patch. For what it's worth, here are all the patches I use and find essential to my WebOS use (in no particular order) :

-Advanced Configuration for App launcher
    -close Slider to end Calls except headset
    -Data in Device menu
    -GPS Icon on Top Bar
    -GPS in Device Menu
    -Multi Mod
    -Really Silent Ringer Switch Mute
    -Reduce Drag radius 10 px
    -Ringer Switch Icon
    -Uber Calendar
    -Better Quicker Flicker
    -Slider blocks Orientation change
    -PDF Redux
    -Read/Delete all eMail
    -Bluetooth Increased Media and In Call Volume
    -Increased Speaker Headset Volume
    -UberKernel
    -Govnah (homebrew app vs. patch / but, required for UberKernel)
    -Faster Card Animations
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Those are all great patches above, but once you start browsing through them and reading what they do, I am sure you will find your own mix of patches that work for you. I love using themes and patches.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Does anyone know or has any idea when VZ is going to release Pre 2, or release HP webOS 2.0 ? Could it be like by the end of JANUARY, 2011 ? I think Pre Plus was released by VZ on January 25, 2010.
    Also talking about patches, since the last big update to webOS 1.4.5, I'm left with 2 old patches which I couldn't remove prior to the update, and pre-ware wasn't much of help removing those. They are : (1) Multi- Mod, and (2) Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS. How do I get rid of these apps ? Can this be done without using my laptop ? My old laptop recently died suddenly after serving 6 yrs. and my new laptop doesn't have any webOS file.
    Quote Originally Posted by voirob View Post
    Also talking about patches, since the last big update to webOS 1.4.5, I'm left with 2 old patches which I couldn't remove prior to the update, and pre-ware wasn't much of help removing those. They are : (1) Multi- Mod, and (2) Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS. How do I get rid of these apps ? Can this be done without using my laptop ? My old laptop recently died suddenly after serving 6 yrs. and my new laptop doesn't have any webOS file.
    If you have Preware, first load Preware and update your Saved Package List (it's in the app menu), the run EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) which is found in available other > Linux Applications > Utilities. Make sure to remove any themes before running EPR. After you reboot, load Preware again and go back to the Saved Package List and tap Install all to reinstall your patches. Done!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    You are kidding me... you complained that much about a phone that you didn't even TRY to take full advantage of? Sheesh.

On a positive note, anything by Sconix in terms of patches and Mode Switcher are worth their weight in platinum. Him and Jason Robataille are the best homebrew developers out there.
    And, before 2.0 comes out, make sure to keep track of what you have to remove, before updating. Both of those are known to cause problems with OTA updates.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Wow.. just saw this thread..
    Yankboy, I just showed a buddy of mine what he was missing by not installing Preware and adding some patches .. needless to say, he was amazed! It truly is like a new phone once you add a few simple tweaks!

If you have questions, just ask. There are a lot of great resources here and a lot of members ready and willing to help you out!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    You are kidding me... you complained that much about a phone that you didn't even TRY to take full advantage of? Sheesh.

On a positive note, anything by Sconix in terms of patches and Mode Switcher are worth their weight in platinum. Him and Jason Robataille are the best homebrew developers out there.
    Actually, if you look through my posts, I haven't complained about the Pre Plus (aside from the GPS issue where I have vacillated b/w blaming Palm and VZ).
    @Yankboy. Just do it! You will think that you have a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    @Yankboy. Just do it! You will think that you have a new phone.
    and you may not be so concerned with what HP is or isn't doing for about a month or so note that if you install the Advanced Configuration System Preferences and Advanced Configuration App Launcher, a lot of those patches that the person above me listed, are all included with only 2 patches instead of 20 or whatever. Might want to consider hanging around your charger for the next few days as you probably will be messing around with your phone for awhile.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Feel free to PM me anytime you need help. I will give you an email so you can get me on the fly. That is if you want/need my help.
    I second that. I've been dabbling in patching and all that for a while now and feel pretty confident in sharing what I know.
    Thanks vza33, indeed I have preware, and i was able to remove those 2 pre-1.4.5. webOS version patches. But in the process somewhere I messed up and now one of my important patch which helps my VZ Pre+ to switch to speaker phone automatically on incoming calls is not working. I tried to re-install the patch using the preware but it is not working either. Bunch of other patches also failed to work but i later deleted them and re-installed them individually using preware and Luna-restart. But this speaker phone patch is failing to be re-installed. What to do ?
    okay I got it ! I had to delete the Advanced Config. Sys. Pref. patch and then I re-installed the auto-speaker-phone patch. I guess now i can re-load the advanced-config-system path, right ?
    YankBoy: Patches are great, for sure. Just so you know what you're getting into, there's a disclaimer though that is inherent with installing patches, and that's making sure you check back on these forums when there are OS updates to see which patches you have are compatible with the update and which ones you might have to uninstall prior to updating. If you have the time to do this, great. Just know, installing patches isn't a "set it and forget it" kind of thing in some cases.
    okay I got it ! I had to delete the Advanced Config. Sys. Pref. patch and then I re-installed the auto-speaker-phone patch. I guess now i can re-load the advanced-config-system path, right ?
    Yes! Some patches conflict unless installed in a certain order.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Just to clarify, in case anybody has doubts because of previous posts, the only result of a conflicting patch is that it will not install. It has no ongoing detrimental effects. And whilst it is possible for patches, which are mostly edits to text-files, to have unwanted results, if you stick to recommendations from these forums, you are unlikely to have problems. And if you do, simply uninstall the patch.

The downside of patching is virtually nil.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    As of right now, I don't have a single patch and I'm not overclocked.
    I'm still running a virgin pre. I've just not looked at it (been too busy) to try the Preware but after the first of the year I will.
    What's wrong with running a default Pre? I am very happy with mine that is a "virgin." Of course I've tried patches and overclocking, but I haven't had anything I really wanted to keep.
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Nothing wrong with a default Pre if it works for you. Having said that, there are those of us that look at WebOS and think: 'it would be much better if .......'. Thanks to our great homebrew community, 'there's a patch for that' is said more times than not!
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast