1.    #1  
    I just activated a new Pre after my old one had a run-in with a little bit of rain. After logging into my Palm Profile the only thing that synced were my apps. All contacts, memos, email accounts, etc, are unaccounted for.

Is there a way to force my Pre to recheck the Palm Profile for all the missing information, or is my only hope to reset/doctor the phone in hopes of getting it to pull all the information appropriately?

Also, what are the possibilities of the profile getting overwritten with the empty info, and if it can happen should I try to avoid having the phone perform its scheduled backup?
    there have been a few who don't have backups running automatically. You wouldn't know unless you checked, and then ran it manually. I am currently having the same issue.
    in your case the backup probably never ran, so the data didn't get in to your profile backup.

I suggest that going forward you should put that info in yahoo or gmail account. That serves as your backup and gives you web access.

not the answer you wanted, I'm sure.

send a PM to HardbeatZ so he can point you into support if there is something you can do to make backups automatic.
  3.    #3  
    I've had a Pre since launch (multiple ones, actually). There's lots of information on the Palm Profile and I've always been able to successfully retrieve it all.

I know that doctoring the phone and trying to pull the data again is an alternative, just wanted to know if there was another one to save myself the hassle of re-downloading everything all over again.
    before doctoring you can copy plmdatabase.db3 to your PC, and copy is back after you doctor.

not fully vetted by the homebrewers around here, but it has worked for me and others. You can try that.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Was the new Pre the same version of WebOS as your old Pre?

If not, you should sign on with a bogus profile - update to latest WebOS, then wipe, re-activate with your profile.

Or at least, that's what needed to happen a couple months ago..
  6.    #6  
    @rposa: Yes, it was, like my old one, a Pre minus.

@Cantaffordit: I browsed around a little more and found some of the recent issues with backups you were alluding to, as well as less recent and well-documented occasions where, like me, people were left without their backups save for the apps they had downloaded.

Fortunately every time I would save a new number it would go to Google instead of my Palm Profile so my losses aren't so substantial, but I've decided to count them as losses and not bust my head trying to recover the main things I hoped to, which I can essentially reobtain and reprogram (ie speed dials and contact pictures).

So much for that robust, mythical cloud Ruby keeps going on about.
    Yeah, cantaffordit, myself and many others keep telling people not to rely on the Palm Profile! Just don't do it~
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    I just activated a new Pre after my old one had a run-in with a little bit of rain. After logging into my Palm Profile the only thing that synced were my apps. All contacts, memos, email accounts, etc, are unaccounted for.

Is there a way to force my Pre to recheck the Palm Profile for all the missing information, or is my only hope to reset/doctor the phone in hopes of getting it to pull all the information appropriately?

Also, what are the possibilities of the profile getting overwritten with the empty info, and if it can happen should I try to avoid having the phone perform its scheduled backup?
    This has happened to me and I called Palm Support, told them what happened and they were able to find an older backup of my Palm Profile to restore. I just had to do an "Erase Apps and Data" from the Device Info, Reset Options. Everything came back the way it was.

This has been successful for some and not others, but it is worth a try. And as others have already stated, utilizing something like Google to sync your contacts, calendar etc. would be a safer way to ensure your data is secure, not to mention it is soooo much easier to manage your contacts when they aren't in the Palm Profile.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Have a similar problem with my palm pre
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    This has happened to me and I called Palm Support, told them what happened and they were able to find an older backup of my Palm Profile to restore. I just had to do an "Erase Apps and Data" from the Device Info, Reset Options. Everything came back the way it was.

This has been successful for some and not others, but it is worth a try. And as others have already stated, utilizing something like Google to sync your contacts, calendar etc. would be a safer way to ensure your data is secure, not to mention it is soooo much easier to manage your contacts when they aren't in the Palm Profile.
    +1