1. D2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi there,

so as my first pre had the issue of an area of its touchscreen not functioning,i got it exchsnged for a new pre. Now this one is pretty good except,there ar gps issues.

Now heres the funny storey, i brought it from a phone dealwr who imports phones from taiwan so when i received the phone,it already had heaps of apps,patches and even a theme on it. Google maps worked perfectly and i drove around for a day and it took me everywhere i needed to go (Im in new zealand). Afterwards i doctored my phone, i cannot get gps or even google maps to work properly.

-If google locatin services are on, i see only a blue dot in a grey background in maps.
    -If location services are off but gps on,google maps loads fine but cannot get my position.

My logic is,if it worked perfectly before,there must be some kind of fix/patch out there. Could anyone direct me to it?

Thanks
    ze
    Quote Originally Posted by D2 View Post
    Hi there,

so as my first pre had the issue of an area of its touchscreen not functioning,i got it exchsnged for a new pre. Now this one is pretty good except,there ar gps issues.

Now heres the funny storey, i brought it from a phone dealwr who imports phones from taiwan so when i received the phone,it already had heaps of apps,patches and even a theme on it. Google maps worked perfectly and i drove around for a day and it took me everywhere i needed to go (Im in new zealand). Afterwards i doctored my phone, i cannot get gps or even google maps to work properly.

-If google locatin services are on, i see only a blue dot in a grey background in maps.
    -If location services are off but gps on,google maps loads fine but cannot get my position.

My logic is,if it worked perfectly before,there must be some kind of fix/patch out there. Could anyone direct me to it?

Thanks
    ze
    You mentioned that you near the land down under.

I believe that there have been posts of Australians that have complained of the GPS.

I could be wrong though.
    Go back to the dealer and find out who his supplier is and get their packages?
  4. D2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    the supplier is in taiwan and it would be pretty hard to communicate with them. The problem is that the gps won't get any co ordinates at all.

I've read about some sort of pre gps hack here:
    forums. precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/206982-palm-pre-gps-additional- gps-modes-autonomous-assisted-cached .html

spaces added cause my postcount isn't high enough for links.

reckon it could work for me? I don't really understand whatd going on there but my problem is that i can't get any sort of gps lock at all, the gps test app just gets stuck trying to find my coordinates.
  5. D2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    if it helps,back when gps used to work, everytime it located me,a crosshairs appeared in the top status bar next to signal, maybe that'll give some clues as to what i need to fix my gps.

UPDATE: just managed to get gps working by standing outside for 60s. Though its a bit dissapointing that i need to use another app to first activate gps, and that's maps can't use cellphone triangulation or wifi spots to estimate location like other phones and my pre used to do (before being doctored). So partial functionality present.