Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    So Have upgraded to an EVO and still want to use my Sprint Pre as a full on media/game/WIFI internet device cause lets face it, WEBOS pretty much is the best thing out there...

I have been doing alot of reading and it seems there is away through ubuntu to change the makefile and worked about three days on this. WOW, it is rather difficult. My Ubuntu ( linux ) is not so good...

Does anyone know if there is a better way with Win7 to get past the activation/first run on the sprint pre so I can log into palm profile and use wifi only?

Thanks-Chuck
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    So, this may be beating a dead horse, but I wanted to post my experience here.

I've switched to the Evo 4G as my full time daily driver. I kept my Palm Pre as a backup/play device to pretty much test new webOS releases, etc. Using the meta-doctor instructions provided by the great team at WebOS-Internals, I created a custom meta-doctor that allowed me to bypass activation as well as the first-use application.

Once the phone booted up, it went directly to the home screen. I then launched the first use app that had me set the language (which I then set) followed by a screen that said "Phone Activated" - don't get worried when that comes up. The phone didn't actually activate with Sprint.

Once that was done, I created a brand new Palm profile and was all finished up.

In short:
    - Use meta-doctor, set it so that it bypasses phone activation as well as first-use app
    - When phone boots up, run first-use app (you may be able to let the meta-doctor load the first-use app instead of choosing the disable it, I'm merely routing the way I did it)
    - Create a brand new Palm profile
    - You CAN access the app catalog
    - You ARE NOT activated with your carrier
    - Wifi DOES work

I've seen a few threads where people went back and forth on whether or not you could access the app catalog or use wifi if the phone isn't activated with a whole heap of various answers. Hopefully this will help you guys looking to turn a refurbished or second palm pre into a toy instead of a useful call-making device.

Or just read this thread for other ideas....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ctivating.html
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by itlbok333 View Post
    So Have upgraded to an EVO and still want to use my Sprint Pre as a full on media/game/WIFI internet device cause lets face it, WEBOS pretty much is the best thing out there...

I have been doing alot of reading and it seems there is away through ubuntu to change the makefile and worked about three days on this. WOW, it is rather difficult. My Ubuntu ( linux ) is not so good...

Does anyone know if there is a better way with Win7 to get past the activation/first run on the sprint pre so I can log into palm profile and use wifi only?

Thanks-Chuck
    Call Sprint (or go online) and re-activate your Pre on your account. Log in with your Palm Profile and once it is back on and profile restored. Call Sprint (or go online) and have them put your EVO back on your account. Then just use your Pre in Wifi only mode. You can either put it in airplane mode or turn off the phone radios. You will still have access to the app catalog and updates that way.

Since your phone was already activated (the first time) you don't need to do the bypass activation thing.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Yes, I have been there as with many other posts. They all say use Meta DR and this process using linux is way way over my head. I am looking for the Idiots guide...lol

I can get through to making the "Makefile" but just can not seem to work through the rest of the instructions.

Is there an easier way?

Sprint PRE, Fresh install 1.4.5
    WIN 7 64
    Linux *****
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    now thats a great idea....wow! Trying it now! Thanks pastorrich1
    Is there an easier way?

Sprint PRE, Fresh install 1.4.5
    WIN 7 64
    Linux *****
    I posted the easiest and best way.
    now thats a great idea....wow! Trying it now! Thanks pastorrich1
    Our posts are criss crossing... LOL

Let me know how that works for you. (I have had an Evo and then an Epic on my line for a few weeks and kept my Pre active on Wifi the whole time with no issues).
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Did they charge you double to active pre and re-activate your other phone?
    Did they charge you double to active pre and re-activate your other phone?
    Nope... do it online if you can, but I have done it both ways. No charge.