Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Just use it for email and web on wifi, have access to my existing games and built-in GPS. Is that possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Just use it for email and web on wifi, have access to my existing games and built-in GPS. Is that possible?
    Yes... you don't have to do anything special. You will also still have access to OTA updates and even app catalog purchases since your Palm Profile will not be in use on any other device. Just put the phone in airplane mode or turn off the phone radios and put it in wifi all the time.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    One important info is this is true up till you wipe the phone out and have to get back into the palm profile. In that case, use the activation bypass tool then afterward install the first use activation patch found in preware to resign back into palm profile.

This is due to the phone look for activation before it lets you use the device.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    With all the people fleeing to Android, it might be useful to sticky a F.A.Q. for a deactivated Palm Pre.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Other than your games (which probably are few), what's the point? Your Android phone has email, web and GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    Other than your games (which probably are few), what's the point? Your Android phone has email, web and GPS.
    My guess would be to hand it off to someone else in the household, at least that is my plan come my switch to Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    Yeah, if the Droid is so great, why would you need to keep the Pre. Doesn't the Droid do everything that the Pre does?

My daughter has a Droid and frankly I think the whole Android OS is overblown. I don't like it at all. The calendar sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreAngie View Post
    Yeah, if the Droid is so great, why would you need to keep the Pre. Doesn't the Droid do everything that the Pre does?
    So tell me, when you get a new car, do you just leave your old car by the curb with the keys in it, doors unlocked, windows rolled down with a sign that says "Free, take it or I'm throwing it away"?

Seeing as how the Pre is so low in price on eBay and craigslist, he probably doesn't want to take the time to sell it for the $50 bucks or so he could get there. He would most likely prefer to hand it off to a son or daughter who could use it as a iPad Touch like device. But, that is just my guess.
    It doesn't matter, he just wanted to know if you could.

Yes you can switch to as if it's just an iPod Touch. Go to phone, preferences. On the top right switch radios to off. This will save a lot of the power, and then if you ever want to use WiFi, you can still turn that on. I highly recommend downloading user DanPLC's Music (Remix) app from Preware, or buying it once it comes out for webOS 2.x. It's a great music app, better than the iPod Touch's.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Sweet. This is something I was wondering. Just moved to the EVO. Pre still has some good games, though like Tiger Woods. Really kind of it, though. I guess it would just be a device that gets plugged in when I want to play Tiger Woods.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreAngie View Post
    I'm asking because I'll be testing them side by side on wifi. I'm still not sold on Android but I want to have access to its extensive app library.

I don't see how Android can pull off pausing a game or two, having multiple web pages open along with email, calendar, weather forecast etc. I know it has an app emulating the Pre's multitasking (itchy fingers) but it's still in beta.

I have overclocked the Pre to 800MHZ and will be testing the droid at stock speeds first. Then I'll probably root it, overclock it to 800mhz, retest and try to customize it to suit me. If I can't live with it due to poor multitasking implementation then it's going back.

That's why I bought used Droid 1 on ebay. Similar hardware specs mean an apples to apples comparison. The loser will be sold on ebay.
    I'm asking because I'll be testing them side by side on wifi. I'm still not sold on Android but I want to have access to its extensive app library.

I don't see how Android can pull off pausing a game or two, having multiple web pages open along with email, calendar, weather forecast etc. I know it has an app emulating the Pre's multitasking (itchy fingers) but it's still in beta.

I have overclocked the Pre to 800MHZ and will be testing the droid at stock speeds first. Then I'll probably root it, overclock it to 800mhz, retest and try to customize it to suit me. If I can't live with it due to poor multitasking implementation then it's going back.

That's why I bought used Droid 1 on ebay. Similar hardware specs mean an apples to apples comparison. The loser will be sold on ebay.
    I'll be interested to see the outcome of your testing. If you don't already know... in Android the back button closes an app and the home button leaves it running memory (up to either 6 or 8) supposedly in a "saved state" for those apps that support it. Either can be re-called by pressing and holding the home button.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Thanks, no, I didn't know that. I think the phone is supposed to come today or tomorrow so I'll have a busy weekend.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Well I tested it, results are posted in new thread under cross-platform chat.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...57#post2800757