Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    nice pics
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    That trash folder is just on Macs.
    Right. The .trash folder is put on USB disks by Macs, so if you've never accessed your USB drive on a Mac, it wouldn't be there. And anyway, it wouldn't have anything to do with the email problem.

OP: this is pretty weird. Can you provide more details about your setup? Why has it been difficult to add it back in the past?

In my opinion, POP is an outdated email technology. I would really encourage you to try out an IMAP email server. You might even be able to do it with your existing email provider.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    very cool. I especially like this one: PRE_2010-11-04-175741c2
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    IMAP is definitely the way to go. Your e-mail on your Pre will be exactly the same as your mail on a PC (or Mac) or webmail. When you mark an e-mail as read on your PC it will show as read on the Pre and if you empty Trash on the PC it will be empty on the Pre.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    IMAP is definitely the way to go. Your e-mail on your Pre will be exactly the same as your mail on a PC (or Mac) or webmail. When you mark an e-mail as read on your PC it will show as read on the Pre and if you empty Trash on the PC it will be empty on the Pre.
    Well, I may have to do that by default. I tried to remove the troublesome account (let's call it Spamcop) several times last night but it wouldn't go away, even after running all night. But when I open it it only shows an outbox. I tried to send a couple of emails but they wound up in that out box.

I have a second account set up (lgrossman) which, it turns out, is set to IMAP. Otherwise it is really the same. On both accounts I pull my mail from spamcop.com, which filters over a hundred spams a day into a "held mail: folder. I eyeball them and delete them and send via my own domain lgrossman.com using webmail from my pc when I have a chance so that I don't pull them down to either my pc or my pre.

The problem is that I don't want to pull those held mails down to my phone, but the held mail folder appears when I use IMAP, it doesn't appear when I use POP.

Anyway the old spam cop account won't delete. I have decided to simply put it on manual so that it doesn't draw any mail and I will try setting the IMAP account to pull mail every 15 minutes and see what happens.

Thanks.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    have you tried removing the email account from your phone and then adding it back?
    See my response to a later message. It won't go away.
  7.    #27  
    Ahhh. Now I remember the problem with IMAP. When I download mail to my PC it deletes them from the spamcop server (which is what I want it to do). Result: It deletes them from my phone. I was planning to respond to some stuff from my phone when I left the house.. but it is gone.

Ahh.. I have now set the pop mail on my home machine to leave mail on the server for up to 7 days. Suddenly the inbox on the IMAP setup on my Pre is repopulating with the mail that disappeared when I logged on to my PC. Meanwhile I still can't get the old popmail setup (Spamcop account referred to in my earlier posts) on my Pre to work nor can I remove it.
    Last edited by modemjunkie; 12/15/2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Update
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12