Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    I think probably the fact that I know linux is what separates the pre from the rest for me..yeah, I could get an iphone and jailbreak it, but to a degree I'm still at the mercy of the hackers of the iphone. With the pre, I'm the hacker...
    And what is Android built on? Not many Pre owners know how to even root their device let along develop for it. Like I said before, had it not been for the poor sales Palm would NEVER have embraced homebrew, preware, or patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    And what is Android built on? Not many Pre owners know how to even root their device let along develop for it. Like I said before, had it not been for the poor sales Palm would NEVER have embraced homebrew, preware, or patches.
    but they did..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The Pre shipped with a processor clocked at 500mhz which was fine for that time but the OS ran extremely slow. I met a lady the other day that had a Pre I asked if she liked it and she said No. It is sooo slow. I think the OS is poorly coded hence the reason it is so slow. My wife had a blackberry curve and things basically opened instantly on it and it has much lower specs.
    You're right about that, there is something very wrong with the way the OS is coded. Even at 1 Ghz, the phone is dog-slow. It takes a few seconds to load a low-rez photo from the photo app, music player takes a second or two to skip songs, the phone takes something like 3 mins to boot, the visual effects are choppy and laggy, internet browsing is slow even on wifi, etc. I just moved to the EVO, and the difference is night and day. Both phones are running at 1 Ghz, and the pre is so far behind that it's not even funny. WebOS itself is great, it's the user experience that sells phones. I'm not surprised that Palm Pre sales are lagging.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    exactly, webos is visually appealing and great core features but the os needs massive work, the speed is very slow and personally speaking I don't see them competing with wp7 with miicrosoft dumps the money truck at it. I love webos but sticking around is a lost cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    exactly, webos is visually appealing and great core features but the os needs massive work, the speed is very slow and personally speaking I don't see them competing with wp7 with miicrosoft dumps the money truck at it. I love webos but sticking around is a lost cause.
    Care to elaborate on how the OS needs major work? Not saying I don't want a few APIs exposed for devs.
    Not sure where you are going with lost causes, I guess I need to re-read the OP to figure out his causes...
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Care to elaborate on how the OS needs major work? Not saying I don't want a few APIs exposed for devs.
    Not sure where you are going with lost causes, I guess I need to re-read the OP to figure out his causes...
    I'll chime in here. There is no reason for the OS to be as slow as it is, especially when overclocked to 1 ghz. I can understand slowdowns when you have multiple apps running, but this phone is slow as a dog with only 1 app (or no apps) running. The EVO, running at 1 Ghz, is much faster. Everything happens virtually instantly. Also, the web browser, besides simply being very slow, it does not work as well as the Android one.

You already mentioned the API issues. There was no reason to not make the APIs available from the beginning. Or did Palm actually want all of the popular iPhone apps to not be available on the platform.

And for me, the lost cause was when Epocrates left the platform. As a med student, it is something that is important to me now, and will be very important in the future. Because of Palm's colossal marketing failure with this phone, big-name developers are leaving, or not coming at all, or if they are, this platform is last on their list. We will see if Palm/HP can improve their image, but it will be a long, hard battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    You already mentioned the API issues. There was no reason to not make the APIs available from the beginning. Or did Palm actually want all of the popular iPhone apps to not be available on the platform.
    Ok, then downgrade your EVO to 1.6, and tell me if all the APIs are available on Android from the beginning.

That reasoning has no sense at all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I'll chime in here. There is no reason for the OS to be as slow as it is, especially when overclocked to 1 ghz. I can understand slowdowns when you have multiple apps running, but this phone is slow as a dog with only 1 app (or no apps) running. The EVO, running at 1 Ghz, is much faster. Everything happens virtually instantly. Also, the web browser, besides simply being very slow, it does not work as well as the Android one.
    What about RAM speed and size? What about graphics chip?

I can't say an overclocked Pre is slow, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by shmutt1980 View Post
    But he says to buy a dell?? pfffft
    i don't see the hate for dell, they make solid products IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Ok, then downgrade your EVO to 1.6, and tell me if all the APIs are available on Android from the beginning.

That reasoning has no sense at all.
    What critical APIs are missing in Android 1.6?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    What about RAM speed and size? What about graphics chip?

I can't say an overclocked Pre is slow, anyways.

That's fair. But do you think the average user cares about ram size/speed, or the graphics chip? As I said before, it's the user experience that matters, and that is precisely where this phone failed. And yes, an overclocked Pre is very slow when compared to the competition. But more than that, it's unpredictable. Sometimes the email app will open very quickly for example, and other times it will take it up to 30 seconds to open.

Going back to the APIs, I'll mention that this phone has been out for nearly 2 years. I understand the urgency that palm was facing when pushing this phone, but that does not give them an excuse to release virtually zero significant upgrades to the OS in that time. I mean for god sakes, developers didn't even have access to the phone's graphics chip for about 6 months. Hell, even the OS itself didn't have access to the graphics chip, and still doesn't. Although I hear WebOS 2.0 will fix that. That's the problem. Glaring omissions in iOS and Android were quickly fixed for the most part, whereas WebOS languished for almost 2 years, losing more and more ground to the competition every day. What's funny is that for a stretch of time, each new WebOS update created more new problems than the old ones it solved. And now, even major steps in the right direction, such as releasing the PDK don't really matter, because developers don't really care about a platform that has a 0.5% market share.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shmutt1980 View Post
    But he says to buy a dell?? pfffft
    This is Fox after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What critical APIs are missing in Android 1.6?
    Well, ask Android devs (that made apps >1.6 compatible) not me...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123