Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My husband said he heard a discussion on NPR today about how the iphone is dead? Anybody hear that?

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    The problem was that you were watching Fox News. Slander and lies fit right in with the network.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    "Fair and Balanced"
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    ...and any other national news outlet is?
    ^This. ^

The only true, fair, balanced, unbiased news source is CSPAN. But it's a bit boring for most people to watch.
    The truth is that everything he said was true.

The Wii is getting really old, and odds are, something better will come soon enough to make people regret buying one this christmas.

The iPhone is an over-hyped piece of junk that doesn't really compete.

Adding a touch interface to a Flip Video recorder was an incredibly stupid idea.

The Pre is a terrible gift right now. Nobody wants to get a phone as a gift that is 18 months old, wasn't amazingly competitive when it was released, and has a massively upgraded replacement that is already starting to get into the market with others close on the horizon.

The only interesting bit about any of this is that the guy gets paid to share such mind bogglingly obvious stuff as though it's news. Even for network news (let's be honest, fox just gets a bad wrap because they lean the other direction. All network news is biased garbage) this whole piece was a waste of air time.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    1gz can be put in a phone.. hell they can prob put a 3 ghz chip in a phone if they want it to run for 3-4min. Point is the pre was top of the line for smart phones when announced and still a very strong competitor when it was released spec wise. Just happened to have shody hardware and an OS that was not super optimized and lacked features. If you own a business or even work for your self independently you realize that when the budget is tight sometimes things just have to be the way they have to be. Its a very sad fact, but not that palm has a daddy warbucks lets see what happens.
    Jeremy Kaplan says to return the Wii (too old), the iPhone 4 (not 4G), Flip Slide HD (touchscreen sucks), Palm Pre (no apps), and 3D TV (googles, too expensive).

I'm telling you this in the hopes that nobody actually WATCHES the video, which only increases pageviews and encourages Fox/Kaplan to run stuff like this!
    The truth is that everything he said was true.

The Wii is getting really old, and odds are, something better will come soon enough to make people regret buying one this christmas.

The iPhone is an over-hyped piece of junk that doesn't really compete.

Adding a touch interface to a Flip Video recorder was an incredibly stupid idea.

The Pre is a terrible gift right now. Nobody wants to get a phone as a gift that is 18 months old, wasn't amazingly competitive when it was released, and has a massively upgraded replacement that is already starting to get into the market with others close on the horizon.

The only interesting bit about any of this is that the guy gets paid to share such mind bogglingly obvious stuff as though it's news. Even for network news (let's be honest, fox just gets a bad wrap because they lean the other direction. All network news is biased garbage) this whole piece was a waste of air time.

It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Except for the fact that the iPhone is hyped up so much because it really is that good, and Fox News gets blasted so often because they really do focus more on lies than news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
    Except for the fact that the iPhone is hyped up so much because it really is that good, and Fox News gets blasted so often because they really do focus more on lies than news.
    You're completely right about Fox News. I'm simply saying that the same is equally true of CNN, MSNBC, and most of the others; but people don't notice as much because until Fox came around with a completely different set of opposing lies, the lies all matched up.

As far as the iPhone, sorry. That's probably going to be an "agree to disagree" issue. The iPhone has a grand total of 3 things going for it that are not available with higher quality and better prices elsewhere. I-tunes support, a larger app catalog, and the ability to make your gramma look like a hipster.

Even now, it's "multi-tasking" is well below the functionality of others, especially web-OS. It is plagued with bugs. The current version isn't even usable for many people unless they put a case on it because of the antenna design. It's quite possibly the least customizable smartphone on the planet. (provided you don't want it to turn into a paperweight with the next update, and you care about having some sort of warranty).

At least with the first few iphones they gave it a very sleek an uniquely 'mac-ish' look. Now it looks like every other slab phone on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    Please watch this video:

5 Tech Gifts to Return Right Now - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com

At the end, Jeremy Kaplan says you should return the Palm Pre because it's "Not very good". His reasoning? "Apple iPhone and Google phones have this app 'thing' that Palm doesn't have'.

His email address is: jeremy_kaplan@ziffdavis.com
    His employer is Ziff Davis: info@ziffdavis.com, PCMOnline@ziffdavis.com

Take a minute to email him and let him know that he should really do a better job of checking facts before blasting a product on a national news network.

there's no question that android and apple have a much larger fan base and larger marketplaces. so i fail to see how this guys opinion is wrong? most of the decent apps on webos you have to pay for anyways.
    It was his opinion to say that the Pre is getting old, which it is. Sure it might have been good before, but not now. If he's talking about the present, why bring up the past? He wants people to get what is "best" and in our society, the fastest, most up to date and most popular device is what people want. Android devices are the perfect ones to fit that bill, why? Because HTC has been releasing a phone just about every couple of weeks. That puts them ahead of Apple and Palm because they now have the most up to date hardware in their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Opinions are just that: opinions.
    LOL. Yes, they are just like a$$holes and I'm sure Mr. Kaplan is one!
    This post made my day, you all are very funny!
    I am always showing people my phone and telling people about how A-mazing it is, i think that if HP just hired all of us, maybe they could have some good ad campaigns and hit the streets rolling!!
    eh but who am i kidden, im just going to have to keep running my loud mouth!
    The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you. ~John E. Southard

Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.
    John F. Kennedy

Visit My Blog, for Laughs and Strangeness:
    http://vonellebeestine.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    Please watch this video:

5 Tech Gifts to Return Right Now - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com

At the end, Jeremy Kaplan says you should return the Palm Pre because it's "Not very good". His reasoning? "Apple iPhone and Google phones have this app 'thing' that Palm doesn't have'.

His email address is: jeremy_kaplan@ziffdavis.com
    His employer is Ziff Davis: info@ziffdavis.com, PCMOnline@ziffdavis.com

Take a minute to email him and let him know that he should really do a better job of checking facts before blasting a product on a national news network.
    I'd tell someone to return their Pre too if they bought it recently. That phone is junk compared to other phones. Why on earth would someone buy a phone that's been end-of-life'd? It's old and outdated, definitely not worth buying into a contract for. If someone wants to wait "for the coming months" then go for it, but definitely don't buy a Pre!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misslarrew View Post
    This post made my day, you all are very funny!
    I am always showing people my phone and telling people about how A-mazing it is, i think that if HP just hired all of us, maybe they could have some good ad campaigns and hit the streets rolling!!
    eh but who am i kidden, im just going to have to keep running my loud mouth!
    And thats about as far as it goes. After your presentations are they going out to purchase a Pre? NO! So you can hype it up all you want, it will make no difference to all the Android, Blackberry and iPhone owners.

So keep trying to convince yourself that the Pre is revolutionary. Other platforms are doing the same thing now, universal search, synergy, and multitasking on far superior hardware.
    Do any of those other phones have the customizing abilities of the Pre? I'm not being facetious, I really want to know. That, to me, is the best part of the Pre. I can make it look and feel how I want. I'm not restricted to a few "themes" that I don't really like. I like having the control that I do with it.

Yes, out of the box the Pre may not match up to some of the speed capabilities and such...but with the Kernels and other homebrew stuff, I've had very few complaints. I have had to send it back a few times, as the hardware isn't the best...but...to me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

The ONLY real downside that makes me wanna cry is that Sprint isn't getting the Pre 2. That really sucks.. Bad.

But will I rush out and get the new hot 4g phone with a million apps?

NO....I already have more apps on my Pre than I use...and with Wifi, bandwidth speed isn't a problem.

I'm sorry but I love my Pre.
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Do any of those other phones have the customizing abilities of the Pre? I'm not being facetious, I really want to know. That, to me, is the best part of the Pre. I can make it look and feel how I want. I'm not restricted to a few "themes" that I don't really like. I like having the control that I do with it.

Yes, out of the box the Pre may not match up to some of the speed capabilities and such...but with the Kernels and other homebrew stuff, I've had very few complaints. I have had to send it back a few times, as the hardware isn't the best...but...to me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

The ONLY real downside that makes me wanna cry is that Sprint isn't getting the Pre 2. That really sucks.. Bad.

But will I rush out and get the new hot 4g phone with a million apps?

NO....I already have more apps on my Pre than I use...and with Wifi, bandwidth speed isn't a problem.

I'm sorry but I love my Pre.
    So now that you realize that other platforms can multitask, have universal search and synery, being able to load a theme now becomes the best part of the Pre?

Think about it, because of the lack of sales Palm has no choice but to embrace homebrew. How would it look if they acted like Apple and release firmware updates just to break jailbreaking.

Homebrew and patching is not exclusive to just webos community. Its been done way before the pre came out. People will release themes, patches and hacks unsupported by the original manufacturer regardless of its popularity.
    Berd says you should do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    So now that you realize that other platforms can multitask, have universal search and synery, being able to load a theme now becomes the best part of the Pre?

Think about it, because of the lack of sales Palm has no choice but to embrace homebrew. How would it look if they acted like Apple and release firmware updates just to break jailbreaking.

Homebrew and patching is not exclusive to just webos community. Its been done way before the pre came out. People will release themes, patches and hacks unsupported by the original manufacturer regardless of its popularity.
    I think probably the fact that I know linux is what separates the pre from the rest for me..yeah, I could get an iphone and jailbreak it, but to a degree I'm still at the mercy of the hackers of the iphone. With the pre, I'm the hacker...
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    I know that this is a obviously a very pro palm/pre environment for the most part, but they really have their work cut out for them. The core OS is pretty good, but the hardware and app situations really make the phone pretty hard to recommend over either the iphone or any of the better android devices, unless someone is really looking for a small form factor.

I am sure HP/Palm will get state of the art hardware going in the next 12 months, hopefully that will generate the momentum to get the app situation fixed. I have owned a blackberry, windows mobile, iphone, pre and now an evo.. I clearly am not particularly loyal to any one platform, and would absolutely consider a webos device in 10 months when I am up for an upgrade
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast