1.    #1  
    Hello ALL

Im moving to Ghana, West Africa for work, and i dont want to get a crackberry. I would like to buy an unlocked gsm pre or pre 2( which should work there) and use that.
    My question is, how do i transfer all my data from my cdma pre ( im on sprint right now) onto a phone that im going to use in another country on a different network? When i had to get a new pre here, i reinstalled all my stuff from the pre back up cloud thingie, with the help of the Save/Restore App.
    I suspect its not that simple this time around?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out with this...

thank you!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    If you have a computer,take the Sorint pre and put in usb mode. Go either computer or my computer,and you will see something called PALM PRE-click it. Then you should see a file labeled DCIM- click that. Then another subfolder,and finally all your pictures and videos will be there. Copy them off and on to your new pre, except instead of coping off your putting them on =D! Now for your contacts, go into the phone app,dial ##66623#- them tap the call button. A new card will launch and a green button that says cellbrite export will be visible. Tap that. It will export all you contacts. Now once it get into step 2,conect it to your computer, and select usb drive. Now either go to computer or my computer,click palm pre. Then you will see a tab on the top that says organize. Click that and go to settings. Make sure that show hidden files and folders checked. Now you will see a folder labeled .temp-click it. You will see a file labeled PMmigration. Just copy that off and on to your new pre. If you don't have windows,i can't help you =D
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Well I always use Gmail for my contacts, never the Palm Profile but quite simply everything that is on the phone will be backed up as long as you have your backups on with the exception of what is in your USB drive.But as morepalm.net stated you can just copy files between the devices in USB mode. Another huge point tho is to activate in a country that has paid apps! {In the U.S. since you currently have Sprint} If you do not you will have limited access to the catalog.

Other than than, as long as you do it that way all of your apps will download to your GSM Pre using the same Palm Profile login and your contacts will follow!

Good Luck!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by nubianfx View Post
    Hello ALL

Im moving to Ghana, West Africa for work, and i dont want to get a crackberry. I would like to buy an unlocked gsm pre or pre 2( which should work there) and use that.
    My question is, how do i transfer all my data from my cdma pre ( im on sprint right now) onto a phone that im going to use in another country on a different network? When i had to get a new pre here, i reinstalled all my stuff from the pre back up cloud thingie, with the help of the Save/Restore App.
    I suspect its not that simple this time around?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out with this...

thank you!
    Actually.... it is that simple. Putting your profile and homebrew on a GSM device is the same as replacing your Sprint device. There are a couple of patches in Preware that are GSM or geocentric specific, but not many. Of course moving to a Pre 2 will mean leaving most of your homebrew behind for now as well as some apps that don't work in 2.0.x at the moment.

If you have the opportunity to buy the phone while here and activate it in the U.S. with a U.S. based carrier sim, you will keep access to the U.S. app catalog and pay with your current card attached to your Palm Profile.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5.    #5  
    Thank you everyone, im going to do try that out.
    I was reading up a little bit on here, and people were talking about having issues using pres overseas? I dont think the phone is currently offered on any carrier in Ghana, so im not sure how thats going to work. Also i wont be able to activate it until i get there ( i dont have a sim card yet). So does that means bye bye app catalog?
    If you have the phone here and are in need of a SIM card, you can purchase an ATT prepaid card, or perhaps a T-mobile prepaid sim @ most stores, place it in the phone and activate it here, then when you get to Ghana, purchase the sim from a network there and put it in the already activated phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nubianfx View Post
    Thank you everyone, im going to do try that out.
    I was reading up a little bit on here, and people were talking about having issues using pres overseas? I dont think the phone is currently offered on any carrier in Ghana, so im not sure how thats going to work. Also i wont be able to activate it until i get there ( i dont have a sim card yet). So does that means bye bye app catalog?
    Nooooooooo!

Just go to an AT&T store and explain your situation and ask them if you can use one of their demo phone sim cards to activate it so you can use it and have US app catalog access in Ghana. Go through the activation and create a Palm Profile and when the phone restarts you can give them the sim back. You can use it on wifi while here until you get there and get a SIM with a carrier in Ghana. Then just put the SIM in and you are ready to go.

It won't cost you anything and you can be ready with a fully configured app catalog accessing phone.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups