1.    #1  
    I used to have an iPhone 3Gs, and I loved it. I was on it constantly, to the point that I rarely used my laptop for internet browsing. Being a student, I couldn't afford my plan, so I had to switch to Verizon and hop on to my father's Family plan. I decided to get the Droid Incredible, since I could get one for free.

Android sucks. I hate, hate, hate it. I'm not drawn to it like I was my iPhone. Nothing is as well integrated, the processor obviously isn't fast enough, etc.. I've had it about two weeks, and am just tired of it. I'm going to call tomorrow to get Verizon to replace my Incredible with a Pre. Originally I just wanted a phone to hold me off until Verizon gets the iPhone, and I fully expect to be buying an iPhone (outright) as soon as Verizon gets them -- unless I fall in love with WebOS. Believe me, I plan on giving it a chance.

I know it's a little late getting the Pre Plus considering that the Pre 2 is soon to be released, but I only have about two weeks until I won't be allowed to trade phones.

With that in mind, I have to make the hardware match the software. From what I understand, everything I need to overclock to 1GHz is in the Preware store? I thought I had read something earlier that said something about needing to overclock through command line or that upon restarting the phone, I'd have to overclock it again as the speeds aren't persistent. Is this true? I just want to double check. I like having all of the tools I need ahead of time. I tried searching various strings to answer my own question, but there were "no results to answer the random question" or something like that.

Is there anything useful that I don't know about? I already saw the "Increase EVDO speed" thread, and I plan on giving that a try. If there's anything else I can do to increase the phone's performance, let me know. I'm not too worried about killing my battery life; I'm always near a power source for quick reups.
  2.    #2  
    On a related note, I'm very excited to give WebOS a try. From what I've read about it, it's nearly as streamlined and integrated as iOS is, and that's something. Android is too menu based; it's not that I need a phone's interface to be basic, it's that I shouldn't have to dig in to a menu to do everything. You'd think with all the buttons on the Android phones, it would be faster to do things than on the iPhone with its one button.

Now that I think about it, getting a Pre Plus toward the end of its life is a good idea. Once Verizon no longer has them in the warehouse, they're gonna have to give me an equivalent product if something "bad" comes to happen to the phone.
    Last edited by Rezigrene; 12/12/2010 at 11:10 PM.
    It has been announced that Verizon will be getting the Pre 2 very soon now.

I would suggest that you wait if you can.

The Pre 2 has a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, webOS 2.0 and a Flat Glass screen. It is much more like the iPhone.

Welcome to Pre|Central - Your going to love it here!
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 12/13/2010 at 06:01 AM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    He can't wait. And I wouldn't.

Overclocking is waaaaaaay simpler than that. Another reason to love WebOS.

There are forum posts about this, but you're going to have to first get WebOS Quickinstall. Getting that on your computer is going to be the hardest part of overclocking your phone, and... it's not that hard.

You have to download it, and the WebOS doctor to the same file folder. (This is important, not sure why) Then you click on the WebOS Quickinstall application. It's a java app, so it doesn't install onto your computer or anything. You then plug in your phone to your computer, then you install Preware.

Preware is an app catalogue. It's only for homebrew apps. And Palm gives it unofficial support, so you don't have to worry about Palm trying to brick your phone because you've installed something not from Palm.

Once you have Preware on your phone, then a whole new world opens up.

First, overclocking.

This is how hard it is: You install an app called Govnah, then you install an 'app' called Uberkernel. You open Govnah, you set the speed of your phone and you're done.

Nice huhn.

I put quotes around app for the Uberkernal because technically it's not an app, but it installs as easy as one, so for all intents and purposes, it's an app.

Overclocking is safe (I've had no problems whatsoever). From what I've been told, the Pre Plus is already quite fast, but overclocking won't hurt it, and it will make it faster, so go for it.

Of course, the Pre 2 will actually have much better performance. It will be closer to an iphone for performance, but if you only have 2 weeks, getting a Pre + and overclocking is just as good.

However, Palm and HP are going to announce something major in January, and if you find yourself liking webos, then you just might want to keep an eye out.

Welcome to the family, and enjoy!

Update: Oh, and the speeds ARE consistent. You will only have to reset the speed if you unplug your battery without powering down the OS. That's it.
    Last edited by Vociferous; 12/13/2010 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
    I used to have an iPhone 3Gs, and I loved it. I was on it constantly, to the point that I rarely used my laptop for internet browsing. Being a student, I couldn't afford my plan, so I had to switch to Verizon and hop on to my father's Family plan. I decided to get the Droid Incredible, since I could get one for free.

Android sucks. I hate, hate, hate it. I'm not drawn to it like I was my iPhone. Nothing is as well integrated, the processor obviously isn't fast enough, etc.. I've had it about two weeks, and am just tired of it. I'm going to call tomorrow to get Verizon to replace my Incredible with a Pre. Originally I just wanted a phone to hold me off until Verizon gets the iPhone, and I fully expect to be buying an iPhone (outright) as soon as Verizon gets them -- unless I fall in love with WebOS. Believe me, I plan on giving it a chance.

I know it's a little late getting the Pre Plus considering that the Pre 2 is soon to be released, but I only have about two weeks until I won't be allowed to trade phones.

With that in mind, I have to make the hardware match the software. From what I understand, everything I need to overclock to 1GHz is in the Preware store? I thought I had read something earlier that said something about needing to overclock through command line or that upon restarting the phone, I'd have to overclock it again as the speeds aren't persistent. Is this true? I just want to double check. I like having all of the tools I need ahead of time. I tried searching various strings to answer my own question, but there were "no results to answer the random question" or something like that.

Is there anything useful that I don't know about? I already saw the "Increase EVDO speed" thread, and I plan on giving that a try. If there's anything else I can do to increase the phone's performance, let me know. I'm not too worried about killing my battery life; I'm always near a power source for quick reups.
    You will also find that multitasking on the pre is way way better than any iphone that has ever been made!! Other than the iphone I haven't seen or used a better touch interface.
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And of course, there are some annoying things about the phone, like EVERY smartphone, but yes, multitasking is phenomenal. And the fact that they try really hard to reduce the number of steps taken to do anything.

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the new hardware in Jan. I have no idea what it's going to be, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Getting the Pre + will get you started in the WebOS world, and with any luck, new hardware will keep you here!
    I would hold out for the Pre 2 as long as possible, but if you can't wait any longer then go ahead and the the Pre Plus.

For all your homebrew and overclocking needs, there is a nice app in the app catalog called Preware Homebrew Documentation by Rod Whitby and webOS Internals that has al the information you will need.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Verizon end-of-lifed the Pre Plus so that alone is going to make it difficult to pick it up directly from Verizon, especially if it's not an actual warranty replacement for another Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I would hold out for the Pre 2 as long as possible, but if you can't wait any longer then go ahead and the the Pre Plus.

For all your homebrew and overclocking needs, there is a nice app in the app catalog called Preware Homebrew Documentation by Rod Whitby and webOS Internals that has al the information you will need.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes, I forgot about that. Back in my day, we didn't even have a Preware app in the official app catalogue!

And I hate to be a sad sack, but by the time the Pre 2 hits Verizon, Palm will be announcing the new hotness, and then you'll want to wait for that. I say get a Pre + for now, just even if only to get a profile and some apps and your google accounts set up. Then by Jan, all will be made more clear.

Man, I'm finding the wait for CES excruciating!!!!!!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Verizon end-of-lifed the Pre Plus so that alone is going to make it difficult to pick it up directly from Verizon, especially if it's not an actual warranty replacement for another Pre Plus.
    Way ahead of you. The few they have are at their warehouse. I have to get one shipped. I'd wait for the Pre 2, but there's two problems with that; I only have about two weeks, and the iPhone will be coming out right behind it. If I don't try WebOS now, I'll find myself not wanting to.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
    If I don't try WebOS now, I'll find myself not wanting to.
    Go download the SDK and emulator from Palm, and get your WebOS fix on your PC.....
    Please don't expect a plethora of apps in the App Catalog or you will be disappointed. Palm's catalog is severely lacking compared to the App Store. I LOVE my Pre + to death but that is one slight downside so please don't let that be a deciding factor.