1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

If I deactivate my Sprint Pre and activate another phone, will I still be able to get webOS 2.0 (when it's finally released on Sprint) on the Pre? Some folks have mentioned putting the phone into airplane mode prior to deactivating it. Others have pointed me to Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center, which states that you can't get OTA updates if the phone isn't activated.

I'd like to keep my Pre, even once unactivated, with the hope of downloading webOS 2.0 so I can play around with it and see the improvements to the OS.

But even if I can't download webOS updates, will I still be able to use the phone in airplane mode once it's deactivated on Sprint? What about updates to the indiviual apps via WiFi?

Thanks!
    you would need to use the meta-doctor to be able to get updates. the bypass tool does not enable it to get updates.
    GFN, Can you elaborate? I was just reading up about the bypass tool and it said updates aren't enabled. It would be great to find that the Palm site is wrong again because I like your answer better than theirs. Is the difference from using the first-use patch? I don't understand what that would change.

Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center
    Quote Originally Posted by corolla90 View Post
    Hi guys,

If I deactivate my Sprint Pre and activate another phone, will I still be able to get webOS 2.0 (when it's finally released on Sprint) on the Pre? Some folks have mentioned putting the phone into airplane mode prior to deactivating it. Others have pointed me to Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center, which states that you can't get OTA updates if the phone isn't activated.

I'd like to keep my Pre, even once unactivated, with the hope of downloading webOS 2.0 so I can play around with it and see the improvements to the OS.

But even if I can't download webOS updates, will I still be able to use the phone in airplane mode once it's deactivated on Sprint? What about updates to the indiviual apps via WiFi?

Thanks!
    Actually, as long as you aren't moving to another webOS device you can keep your Pre in airplane mode and continue to receive webOS updates over wifi as well as get paid apps from the app catalog. No problem at all.

Unless you Dr. the phone or do a partial or full erase, you won't have any problems and won't need the meta Dr. or bypass activation tool.

The quote about not receiving updates on unactivated devices is speaking to new phones that have NEVER been activated. Your phone however has been activated and has an active Palm Profile, so app catalog access and OTA access has already been established. Just because it isn't the active ESN on your line doesn't mean it isn't/hasn't been activated.

When Sprint activates your new phone and you turn your Pre off, it just won't have any phone/network access, it won't change your ability to turn it on and access wifi.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 12/12/2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Certainly can't make WebOS 2.0 promises, but my deactivated Sprint Pre did update to 1.4.5 after it the upgrade was released (without being logged in to my regular profile, which I had switched to my AT&T Palm Pre plus). Sort of surprised me, because I also had expected that the Developer "Developing on an Unactivated Device" process would stop the updates. Not so ...
    I know. Strange. ... but there is no profile on my old Sprint Palm Pre (hasn't been since I switched to the new Pre Plus), and it definitely upgraded to 1.4.5 (I was really surprised when it told me an update was available).

I do have the Preware and Internalz apps installed, including the "first-use" patch ... really can't imagine how it triggered it, but it's updated. Maybe my phone caught Sprint in a moment of weakness? ;-)
    Thanks for the info. I am getting my new non-WebOS phone today and was wondering what the impact would be to my Pre since I have several apps I still want access to. I also need to offload my Classic data before 2.0 comes out and I lose access to that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre_nc View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am getting my new non-WebOS phone today and was wondering what the impact would be to my Pre since I have several apps I still want access to. I also need to offload my Classic data before 2.0 comes out and I lose access to that as well.
    There won't be an impact. The only things that won't work are the phone and SMS functions. All of your apps, IM, email etc. stuff will still work over wifi. Your Palm Profile will remain active and you will get OTA updates and be able to purchase apps from the app catalog also.

You will also be able to keep using Classic. There is another thread here in the forums that explains the easy fix.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups