Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Long story short about 6 months ago I abandoned my Pre and Android and have not looked back but my son is now using the Pre.

I am trying to locate any information on Parental Controls for the device -- I keep seeing various 1.4.5 Parental Control posts but nothing specific as in does it exist, how does it work and where do I enable it?

Anyone possibly help me with the current status on this -- do any apps exist that work?

Thanks!
    The only parental controls available would be a service provided by your carrier.

In my case, I am on VZW and they would be $6.95 per month. This mostly pertains to restricting call times, texting, etc. I don't think they are all that great, and that AT&T's service has greater functionality.

However, I am able to block all data usage for free by checking a box in MyVerizon or calling customer service?

What sort of things are you wanting to control?
    if you need parental controls he doesn't need a smart phone.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
  4. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    You could put a custom hosts (not sure if that's what they're called on *nix, but I know they exist) that could block the device from accessing any URL/IP address you deem inappropriate.
    And, of course, most kids that are old enough to access questionable content are also going to be able to figure out how to override parental controls!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    You can modify the Ad Blocker patch to block out specific websites like myspace etc. Also if you decide to get more involved in their texting and phone calls the patch gods have given us a patch that prevents text messages and phone call history from being deleted.

Here is the link http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2784539 Thanks to warlord9159
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    There currently are no apps to enable the types of controls you would find useful. As the parent of three teens all on Palm Pixi's and Pre's there is value to such applications.

I am working on such an app and hope that I can get it done this year. My intent is to create an app that give parents the ability to demonstrate trust in their kids and protect them at appropriate levels as well. I also intend for the app to be completely visible so it cannot be used as a spying tool. This app will be free.

If I am successful the app can also be packaged and sold for corporate use to ensure proper use of company phones/webOS devices.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    There currently are no apps to enable the types of controls you would find useful. As the parent of three teens all on Palm Pixi's and Pre's there is value to such applications.

I am working on such an app and hope that I can get it done this year. My intent is to create an app that give parents the ability to demonstrate trust in their kids and protect them at appropriate levels as well. I also intend for the app to be completely visible so it cannot be used as a spying tool. This app will be free.

If I am successful the app can also be packaged and sold for corporate use to ensure proper use of company phones/webOS devices.
    Sounds like a great idea. I hope you get it done and it works.

I don't think I need to state that my son has no restrictions on his browsing, texting and etc. As long as he doesn't get in trouble with it at school, we have no problems. He's a smart and mature kid for his age.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post

Cool, I just want to be able to block txt messages during school, and stop all together when they get to 20,000 stnking text message in a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Cool, I just want to be able to block txt messages during school, and stop all together when they get to 20,000 stnking text message in a month.
    Yep, I had this available with AT&T parental controls on the carrier side. I could set schedules where no calls or txt would come through unless they were on a "white" list to allow all the time regardless of block schedule. I would love to have this type of parental controls on Sprint but no dice.

So, we will have to do it from the phone side.
    Cross your fingers and hope they don't find out about spankwire.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Cross your fingers and hope they don't find out about spankwire.
    Well... if they ever looked through these forums they would know about it now...

But rest assured that will be one of the things I will make sure and try to give parents the option to block.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    just wondering if you are anywhere close to getting this app working? Thanks
    since you know apps. i want to add on to my pre plus. veris.carrier i have a tracker app that i need to add to my phone. is there a way to do it. i have followed the directions provided by the app seller. it just plain sucks. they said their program would work on the pre plus. nada. how do you add programs. thanks in advance for your response. vapor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    My son's school confiscates any phones that are used during class. They get the phone back at the end of the day, but the parent gets a phone call about it, and the kid is in trouble. Problem solved. (mostly.)

I don't think I'd be concerned about the raw number of messages. Kids used to talk on the phone for hours, now they text back and forth. Mine sits in the basement and skypes his friends. (On a desktop computer, not a phone.) It all comes to much the same thing, and it's probably healthy for teenagers to interact socially, whatever method they use to do it.
    Ya, lol, how old is your son? I'm 16 and my parents tried alot of the stuff in this thread but I'm not stupid, I got rid of it. People under estimate teens/kids these days. Also, whats the big deal about texts in school? I have a 3.9 GPA and I text in class all the time. I also play games, blog, facebook, lol. Honestly he WILL figure out how to override alot if all the blocks you place. Maybe he just shouldn't have a smartphone
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Ya, lol, how old is your son? I'm 16 and my parents tried alot of the stuff in this thread but I'm not stupid, I got rid of it. People under estimate teens/kids these days. Also, whats the big deal about texts in school? I have a 3.9 GPA and I text in class all the time. I also play games, blog, facebook, lol. Honestly he WILL figure out how to override alot if all the blocks you place. Maybe he just shouldn't have a smartphone
    Lol! Agreed! Mine will be 16 tomorrow and I couldn't see such things stopping him.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Kids outsmart parents any day of the week. It's called evolution.
    Not wanting your kids to be smarter than you, is just counteractive, bad parenting, and moronic.

Kids will download ****, do drugs, and text during class.
    They will all be just fine.
    And this is exactly why I don't worry about it.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    It depends on the kid. My 16 year old would find it an enticing challenge to get rid of parental controls. My 18 year old has trouble copying text from Excel to Word.

When the kids were young, our "parental control" was to have the internet connection in a public place in the house, where someone was likely to walk up behind them at any time. I agree with you that by 16, most kids should be old enough to decide on their own what is suitable for them.

(But you should be paying attention in class. If you are really getting all "A"s without paying attention, your teachers should be challenging you more.)
    True, but Ive learned more by reading articles and tutorials on the internet than anything the average highschool teacher will ever teach me. The only reason I want to be a software engineer, graphics design minor, and french minor is from reading on the internet and media. Who says technology is such a bad thing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast