Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Just got my first Palm Pre...excited! Its loaded with apps from my friend and the plan was to simply just activate it without erasing all the "goodies"...PROBLEM...I made it all the way to the end, then it told me to look for the "EV" in the right hand corner...if it wasnt there I was told to do a hard reset, which forces me to lose all the apps...I REALLY don't want to lost everything! PLEASE tell me there is another way! I only have a few hours being that I have no phone connection right now...HELP PLEASE!!
    Call sprint (or Verizon) ask for your MSL lock code.

Then ask them to walk you through manual activation. (##MSL#)

They will walk you through it..no need for a hard reset
    Quote Originally Posted by jfbeth View Post
    Just got my first Palm Pre...excited! Its loaded with apps from my friend and the plan was to simply just activate it without erasing all the "goodies"...PROBLEM...I made it all the way to the end, then it told me to look for the "EV" in the right hand corner...if it wasnt there I was told to do a hard reset, which forces me to lose all the apps...I REALLY don't want to lost everything! PLEASE tell me there is another way! I only have a few hours being that I have no phone connection right now...HELP PLEASE!!
    I'm not understanding what you have written... you are already in the activation process? Meaning you selected a language, a terms of use agreement and are now trying to login to or create a palm profile?

If you are going to use another Palm Profile (because he is still using his) than what your friend did, you will lose all of the apps anyway. You can't buy apps once, keep using them on a new device and pass them on for free on an old device to a friend. Currently Palm has a one profile one device policy.

If he has moved on from Palm and wants to let you keep his profile then logging in with it will restore all of the paid apps he had. You can go to www.palm.com/profile to change the email and password associated with the profile if you wish.

Hard reset or not... loading a new profile wipes all of the apps from the previous profile.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    i think she means shes at the regular screen (like if you already activated it) if so make sure the old phone that you were using is powered all the way off, then after the service is sent to the your new phone (the pre) try to do a couple of regular resets. Which is holding the power button on the top of the phone clicking power off then click shut down/batter change, wait a few minutes then power back on, try this a few times its sprint activating it thats why when you activate a phone sometimes they say allow up to 2 hours for activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    i think she means shes at the regular screen (like if you already activated it) if so make sure the old phone that you were using is powered all the way off, then after the service is sent to the your new phone (the pre) try to do a couple of regular resets. Which is holding the power button on the top of the phone clicking power off then click shut down/batter change, wait a few minutes then power back on, try this a few times its sprint activating it thats why when you activate a phone sometimes they say allow up to 2 hours for activation.
    Then you are assuming that the OP is simply going to continue using the Palm Profile that was already on the device? Which is fine if the friend is no longer using a WebOS device and has no plans of using the active profile again.

EDIT ... and if the above is true, and a hard reset is required, just log into that same Palm Profile and all of the paid apps will be downloaded again automatically. Homebrew apps and patches will have to be dealt with, but those are free.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Then you are assuming that the OP is simply going to continue using the Palm Profile that was already on the device? Which is fine if the friend is no longer using a WebOS device and has no plans of using the active profile again.

EDIT ... and if the above is true, and a hard reset is required, just log into that same Palm Profile and all of the paid apps will be downloaded again automatically. Homebrew apps and patches will have to be dealt with, but those are free.
    correct, I have done upgrades for phones with a dummy palm acct before, and when activating it on Sprint (in paticular) the service takes time to transfer over just due to the ESN being activated has to erase the cache info for the old acct, and put on the new acct.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I really think they should change that whole 1 device rule and tweak it! With new Palm Devices coming out who really is going to buy multiple versions of the same app to work across several devices! If I have a WebOS tablet and WebOS phone I definitely am NOT going to double up on app purchases. No offense to any developers but that aint gonna fly!

If thats the ecosystem that they want to build then I will stop purchasing apps now! If anything I think that there should be a code that can be used on 2 devices only for between device sharing of apps or something...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I really think they should change that whole 1 device rule and tweak it! With new Palm Devices coming out who really is going to buy multiple versions of the same app to work across several devices! If I have a WebOS tablet and WebOS phone I definitely am NOT going to double up on app purchases. No offense to any developers but that aint gonna fly!

If thats the ecosystem that they want to build then I will stop purchasing apps now! If anything I think that there should be a code that can be used on 2 devices only for between device sharing of apps or something...
    Go log on at www.palm.com/profile, it looks like there is going to be some level of multi-profile support since it lists the devices you have had your profile on (my main acct shows 3 devices but has "Primary" next to the active one). There will need to be some form of agreement with developers concerning apps on multiple devices but if they are launching a tablet I expect this will happen.

Also, I am sure the list of devices must have some time frame or there would be like 12 for me.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Keep in mind I'm still new to the Palm Pre...ok...
    First yes, I have a dummy profile that does need to be changed...I was going to stress over that after activation. Glad I can do that online! Saves me time too!
    I'm at the home screen...this morning I tried to activate and everything went through online, but NOTHING was sent to my phone (thus leaving me with 2 pointless devices). I just tried calling in again, the Sprint lady sent out the Sprint activation and nothing. Then I was told to punch in ## three numbers and then abother # which took me to a reset screen. She said all I had to do is click "Reset" but then all of my apps would be gone...SHEEESH! I guess I need to figure out which apps are connected to the profile and which apps I'd need to download later. Wow...this is taking up my entire day!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfbeth View Post
    Keep in mind I'm still new to the Palm Pre...ok...
    First yes, I have a dummy profile that does need to be changed...I was going to stress over that after activation. Glad I can do that online! Saves me time too!
    I'm at the home screen...this morning I tried to activate and everything went through online, but NOTHING was sent to my phone (thus leaving me with 2 pointless devices). I just tried calling in again, the Sprint lady sent out the Sprint activation and nothing. Then I was told to punch in ## three numbers and then abother # which took me to a reset screen. She said all I had to do is click "Reset" but then all of my apps would be gone...SHEEESH! I guess I need to figure out which apps are connected to the profile and which apps I'd need to download later. Wow...this is taking up my entire day!
    Well, it sounds like the first step will be to find out the information (email and password) for your friends Palm Profile so you can log in and recover any apps attached to it. (this only applies if they are not using another WebOS device).

The second step would be to ask your friend if they had any homebrew patches or apps installed. If they do, it may be best to just Dr. and start from scratch and make your phone the way you want. If not, the basic reset that the carrier gave you instructions for will be fine.

Find that info out and post back (or PM me if you want).
    Dude its very simple.

Get your msl code.

Type in ##MSL (6 digit)# then enter your Msid and MDN number

Its a manual activation..no need for any resets!
    Trim81 is right, I just had to do this last week, when I got my son a used Pre. If you aren't getting the Ev connection, you'll have to put in the MSL and other numbers, but there isn't any need for a hard reset, so you don't have to lose anything.

I had the same problem months ago, when I activated my Pre.

On Sprint, for it to work properly, your old phone should be turned off and your Pre shouldn't be turned on, until you get the activation complete screen, on the Sprint website, if you are doing it that way.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!