1.    #1  
    I know that the pre can display video in the mp4 format and that there are excellent programs that convert .avi files (as well as other containers) to this format.
    What I want to know, for those of us that that have large libraries that would take forever to convert, - is there some barrier to making an app that will play .avi files? Is it that programmers lack access to an api that would allow such an app to be coded? If so, how realistic is it to expect that someone would take this task on when said api is released?

I for one would pay for such an app. Am I the only one? I wonder if there is no market because the limited storage space on the original Pre is so limited that people just prefer the smaller mp4 footprint.

For me, I would love to load up my pre with one or two programs a day and then purge the next rather than take the time and space on my PC to encode and then archive two versions of the same material.
    I Agree! And more: can have support to RMVB, too?

Serious, I believe that is possible...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I agree we REALLY need this. It's something approaching a deal-breaker for a tablet for me actually. I have a Zune HD which natively supports .avi files, and it's supremely convenient to be able to sync .avis I've downloaded (usually torrents of TV shows) to it to watch it whilst travelling (particularly when flying). Having to transcode media into another format to take it with you is a huge pain. For a tablet device, which I'd of course prefer to watch such media on in preference to a small phone or Zune HD screen, it'd be unfortunate to have to transcode everything.
  4.    #4  
    So.... Does that mean it is a hardware limitation and the answer to my question is that it is not realistic to expect .avi support?
    I think .avi is just a container but I could be wrong. I think that it is possible that Palm will add DivX; and other media format supports to the platform, specifically due to the imminent release of the PalmPad, which is a media consumption device.
  6.    #6  
    I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things, but wasn't porting apple apps recently made easier with the release of the SDK? Would it be possible to port over the apple VLC project or does it have to be built from the ground up?
    If so, am I the only one who would pay for such an app?
    Well if webOS is ever going to be a bigger player in this game they will need to expand support for video and sound files.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    just get a quick conversion app on your computer and run it through that before you add it to your device. It would be nice for support with .avi files etc. but for now, it is a pretty simple work around.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    just get a quick conversion app on your computer and run it through that before you add it to your device. It would be nice for support with .avi files etc. but for now, it is a pretty simple work around.
    "Quick" is a relative term... Most conversion apps take quite a long time to convert unless you have pretty good hardware. Even then, it's often not convenient to fiddle with yet another piece of software and wait 5, 10, 20 (or more) minutes to convert a file, rather than just syncing it over in a few seconds and going. The difference it's made to the way I use my Zune HD since a firmware update enabled avi support is incredible.

A tablet without avi support would be disappointing. And I don't just mean a Palm tablet; I mean any tablet.