Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to PC World anyway. I think that's overly harsh. WebOS is a very highly regarded OS. Palm did the worst imaginable marketing job with the Pre. If you can believe it, the HP/Palm combo has perhaps done even worse with the Pre 2. So I suppose from THAT perspective they were failures, but just from a tech perspective, I think the Pre and WebOS are great.

Palm Pre and WebOS - PCWorld
  2.    #2  
    Also making the list:

Blackberry Torch
    Nexus One
    iPhone 4 antenna
    HP Slate
    I dont think nexus one sold nearly as many as pre.

Still, Pre is not a huge success, nor is it a failure,

WebOS is a different topic, and after owning a Android device for a month, I can say it with confidence that webOS is the best mobile OS out there now. Just need more high quality apps, and improved browser. Stock one sucks badly.
    I thought the Pre was 2009..?
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    From their comments, they seem to be referring to the failure of the Pre Plus/WebOS to catch on after launching on VZW and AT&T.
    that's kinda the point. The "plus" the only the the came up with all year.
    who comes up with this stuff geez lol ltm ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Ha, yeah that's why every Android and iPhone user I show my phone to says "Cool, can mine do that?"
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Ha, yeah that's why every Android and iPhone user I show my phone to says "Cool, can mine do that?"
    the trick will be to get the sales reps to show off webOS as effectively as you do. It impresses people when they see it, so the carriers and palm need to make sure people do get to see what webOS can do instead of being hamered with droid droid droid.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I've had my pre plus for only 3 wks. AT&T let me trade my HTC Tilt2 because I was very disappointed with it. I must admit, I really like this phone. However, I am not familiar enough with this phone to make a strong argument for why it is or is not good. I just know it's much better than the phone I had.

I took my phone to my IT department to have them change something on it. Both of the IT people have IPhones, and both seemed to be very intrigued with my phone. I was surprised that they even cared about my phone. Afterall, they have IPhones. Yet, they kept playing with it, as if they were comparing features.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I've had several people think that somehow my Pre was some kinda next-gen iPhone with a Smaller Screen.

It's sad that most smartphone users don't even know what a Pre or webOS is. :/
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    from a business standpoint, the pre was a failure, so much so, that carriers don't want to carry it or anything that looks like it, or anything that has a similar name like it (i.e., pre2).
    MS' Kin was left off that list? Seriously??
    but Kin is up and kickin' again! (also sold on verizon still) ...and maybe too obvious a choice.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Main issue with Kin was the mandatory data package that every carrier tacked on to it. They did not allow it to be used as a messaging phone which it is and thus should have been sold with a $15 messaging/email plan. Tween market can not be captured with a messaging only phone that requires full data plans. The problem was the carriers and not the phone.

WebOS and Pre failure came with marketing, much too long exclusivity agreements, removal of features based on carrier requirements (Pixi with no wifi, Pre with only 256 Mb of RAM and 8 GB) and carrier retail staff that believed their own marketing. This was all Palm's fault but it was all brought on by the fact that they were a small company with very limited budget and needed carrier help which Microsoft, Apple and Motorolla didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    WebOS and Pre failure came with marketing, much too long exclusivity agreements, removal of features based on carrier requirements (Pixi with no wifi, Pre with only 256 Mb of RAM and 8 GB) and carrier retail staff that believed their own marketing. This was all Palm's fault but it was all brought on by the fact that they were a small company with very limited budget and needed carrier help which Microsoft, Apple and Motorolla didn't.
    Also add on shoddy build quality, not enough quality apps, half-baked SDK, half-baked OS, horrible battery life, etc. There's a reason why even among people that bought the phone, the return rate was unusually high.

There were problems intrinsic to the hardware and software that were also contributors to the low marketshare. Enough with ignoring it.
    Just for some history that most of us probably remember, the Pre was unveiled at CES January 2008. This means that they were working on this phone in 2007. We're coming up on 2011 and we still have the same old Pre, and the Pre Plus is nothing to rave about: a 5MP camera and 1 GHz processor? Wow. Good work Palm. What a disappointment.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    the Pre Plus is nothing to rave about: a 5MP camera and 1 GHz processor? Wow. Good work Palm. What a disappointment.
    Tell that to Google and Samsung about their Nexus S.... (those two specs are the same if you didn't know already) it is supposedly releasing in December.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    pre plus is not a failure imo. I don't think the design is bad and I like the size. I have smaller than average hands so the pre plus fits really nice. So build for me is great. I think the failure is the marketing and too laid back attitude of palm. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but it still is shocking that since last year they haven't released any new type of phone besides modifations to the original pre or given us a really big hint. Android got big not just cause of the first droid but because they released numerous phones I know different companies etc but palm just trying to pull the apple one model was previous obvious that it wouldn't work. apple pulls from many different revenue resources while palm is limited. that's why I think palm is on the slump. don't get me wrong I am not a "if palm doesn't...type of guy" I love my plus and am half chubbed waiting for web os 2 to come out. I will keep this phone until it is up next sept 2011. so I have sometime to believe hp and palm will try one more swoop. I think if palm is looking to make more than 2 devices and reach out to those who want a slate or those who want a touch with a keyboard they are on the right track.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Just for some history that most of us probably remember, the Pre was unveiled at CES January 2008. This means that they were working on this phone in 2007. We're coming up on 2011 and we still have the same old Pre, and the Pre Plus is nothing to rave about: a 5MP camera and 1 GHz processor? Wow. Good work Palm. What a disappointment.
    Sorry but that's a very poor history lesson. The Pre was unveiled at CES in 2009 (last year), not 2008.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast