Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Just for some history that most of us probably remember, the Pre was unveiled at CES January 2008. This means that they were working on this phone in 2007. We're coming up on 2011 and we still have the same old Pre, and the Pre Plus is nothing to rave about: a 5MP camera and 1 GHz processor? Wow. Good work Palm. What a disappointment.
    Fact check time.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Tell that to Google and Samsung about their Nexus S.... (those two specs are the same if you didn't know already) it is supposedly releasing in December.
    Except there 5mp is auto focus and has zoom tell palm about that. Don't forget to mention HD video recording either.

Or the HD screen, expandable SD slot, big screen, solid build quality, gyroscope, 1500mah battery and actual release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Except there 5mp is auto focus and has zoom tell palm about that. Don't forget to mention HD video recording either
    Well, considering the Pre2 was likely completed and sitting in boxes before and during the HP Palm buyout and transition.... that means Palm had these specs in work in 2009 and could have been released early 2010, way ahead of the Nexus S. My point is the Pre 2 specs are not antiquated.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Well, considering the Pre2 was likely completed and sitting in boxes before and during the HP Palm buyout and transition.... that means Palm had these specs in work in 2009 and could have been released early 2010, way ahead of the Nexus S. My point is the Pre 2 specs are not antiquated.
    You mean like the Galaxy / i7500 samsung was working on in 2008 and released in 2009 with a 5mp AF camera with a flash?

There are more to spec than cpu/ram/storage these days. And picking and choosing the ones that make the pre 2 sound ok is like saying a ford F150 is the same a mustang because they have the same motor, same tires and same amount of seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    You mean like the Galaxy / i7500 samsung was working on in 2008 and released in 2009 with a 5mp AF camera with a flash?

There are more to spec than cpu/ram/storage these days. And picking and choosing the ones that make the pre 2 sound ok is like saying a ford F150 is the same a mustang because they have the same motor, same tires and same amount of seats.
    It wasn't my intent to do a spec for spec rundown, I simply replied to VoltageRock concerning the 1 GHz processor and 5MP camera. I never said they were the same or anything close to it. IF Palm is/was way behind with those then Google and Samsung have been playing Rip Van Winkle while developing the Nexus S.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Sorry but that's a very poor history lesson. The Pre was unveiled at CES in 2009 (last year), not 2008.
    Whoops. You're right! I wasn't ever good with history anyway. It's almost 2 years ago (23 months) since CES unveiled it though.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    It wasn't my intent to do a spec for spec rundown, I simply replied to VoltageRock concerning the 1 GHz processor and 5MP camera. I never said they were the same or anything close to it. IF Palm is/was way behind with those then Google and Samsung have been playing Rip Van Winkle while developing the Nexus S.
    Fair enough..
    The issue was never specs.

It was implementation and OS refinement along with hardware build.

Bottom line
    Its amazing how ****-poor marketing can destroy the perspective of a product. It makes everything else irrelevant.

The Palm Pre did not fail for it was a 2009 product and in today's age you gotta put out a successor every 8months or its considered obsolete. Palm failed to put something new out this year and this article is judging a product from 2009? A product that also took best in show at the 2009 CES? Meh...
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Believe what you will, just remember that the palm pre- is still compared to the new iphone4 for what it can do for multitasking and other features that the iphone can not do. So I guess it can't be that bad if it is still compared with the so called "front runners"!!
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Does not compute. The Pre 2 was released in France so the devices would have to be sitting in French boxes and pre-loaded with webOS 2.0. for how many months? And how does the technology not get antiquated during that time. Will it keep if it's frozen?
    You can't add to what I said and try and make an argument from it. I didn't say 2.0 had been ready for months. I suspect the hardware was ready and would have launched with 1.4.x if Palm hadn't had it's $ troubles. And what does a SFR launch have to do with anything?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12