Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi all,

i'm in the sprint store right now, they have my 4th replacement phone. they're telling me that they can only transfer my contacts and my photos to my new phone. i KNOW this isn't true, but i need to know exactly what is restorable to a replacement phone.

i'd like to restore:

contacts - which i can do through gmail anyway
    notes - the post-its on the default palm app
    pictures, music, vids - which i've just copied via USB link
    calendar - i don't use outlook or google cal
    a list of my downloaded apps (they're all freewares but still..)
    settings - my backlight, ring settings, or the arrangement of my app icons on the desktop
    my recent locations and favorites on sprint navi

i've always had a palm. is there a way to plain ol' HOTSYNC just like i used to do? hot sync restoration would bring back apps you had too.

i just copied the entire d: drive [Pre] folder set to the desktop of this laptop, so just in case, i can drag and drop the entire thing to the new phone and try that.

please help before they close and boot me out of here!
    thanx!
    Tj
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I work for Sprint. We can only copy contacts thru Cellebrite and anything accessible via USB mode (photos, mp3s, ringtones, wallpapers etc)

To back up other stuff you need homebrew apps - Sprint can't support (much less use on a daily basis) homebrew apps.
    Hi TJ,

With webOS devices, you are best off simply backing up your files (pictures, music, vids, downloads) off of the USB partition to your home computer first. If you are using patches and/or Homebrew through Preware, you would want to run the Save/Restore app to save all the settings for patches, game saves, launcher pages, etc... and then use that App on the new device to restore those items.

All of your contacts, email, and apps will restore to your device automatically after you sign into your profile on your new device.
    Hi guys,

When Save/Restore saves, where are the archives saved? To my Palm profile? or (I forget) did I create another account when I installed Save/Restore?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clane2ndwindow View Post
    Hi guys,

When Save/Restore saves, where are the archives saved? To my Palm profile? or (I forget) did I create another account when I installed Save/Restore?

Thanks!
    They are saved on your device in the saverestore directory. You will have to hook up the phone with usb cable and copy it to your computer.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Thanks for the quick reply! The saverestore folder (and all it's subfolders) are completely empty. No files. Am I not using Save/Restore correctly? After hit "save selected" it appears to scan each ap and the creates a log file, but after that nothing happens, the restore screen has no aps listed to restore and there are no file on the USB.

Thanks again!
  7.    #7  
    thanx, GREEN BAY FAN!

thanx to you guys, i went ahead and copied all folders from the Palm via USB, then i copy/pasted every memo note into an email just in case. i returned my old phone with a full reset so i knew it was clean.

when i logged into my new phone, it automatically downloaded all of my apps, which are all the free kind by the way. it also restored my email accts. my contact list is restored, but it included some that i thought i had deleted a while ago.

HOWEVER, THE DAMM PHONE THEY GAVE ME IS GARBAGE!! no call audio, only crackle sounds, on both ends of the call. so glad they test these things.

so they're ordering my 5th Pre now and it should be in after the weekend.

swell.

thanx guys for the quick responses.
  8.    #8  
    hi all,

i got my 4th pre. it was DOA. no call audio, or TX; only static.

so i got another.

my 5th pre was ALSO DOA. i'm getting intermittent: speakerphone only audio; no screen light when you slide it open; and call cutting in/out when you wiggle the slider.

so i called customer service. i asked for the multiple replacement dept. first ****-hole sent me to Assurion. 3 people later i get to "advanced exchanges dept". he says there's nothing he can do, take it back to the store.

i took it to the store today and said i'd like a new Pre instead of another refurb, since they're coming in DOA. they told me to go to a corporate store.

so i'm going to a corporate store later.

should i bother?

at this point, i'm at my wit's end. i don't want another used phone that's garbage out of the box.

WHY CAN'T PALM BACKUP REMEMBER WHAT ORDER MY ICONS ARE IN? IS IT THAT MUCH MORE EXTRA CODE TO DO THAT?

they're trying to get me to upgrade. it's a week before xmas. i don't have money to spend to replace a phone!

why should i have to lay out more $ for a new phone, because i need to replace a phone i already spent $200 plus another $100 in accessories?

All 5 of my phones are hardware failures, not lost or abused!
    gah!

could any of you share some positive experience in resolving an issue like this? i'm anticipating going to Sprint in about 2 hrs and asking for a new Pre. I have 3 back up batteries and 3 chargers plus a touchstone. i really didn't plan to be switching out of Palm hardware so soon.

suggestions, anyone? thank you in advance!
    Tj
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    could any of you share some positive experience in resolving an issue like this? i'm anticipating going to Sprint in about 2 hrs and asking for a new Pre. I have 3 back up batteries and 3 chargers plus a touchstone. i really didn't plan to be switching out of Palm hardware so soon.
    Ouch. I had a friend have a slew of these problems and they eventually cut him a deal where he extended his contract and they lowered his monthly rate.

Hang in there.
    I'd say you'll have better luck with refurbs at the corporate store. I'm 2 for 2 so far (two good out of two replacements). If you go to a Sprint repair center, they may simply be able to fix whatever is wrong rather than replacing the whole phone. There seems to be at least one or two people at the repair centers who know what they're talking about.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11.    #11  
    what's the odds of me getting an instore repaired phone that works? the phones i'm getting from the franchise store/service center are coming in the mail in little white pouches. i've seen them pull them right from the bag.
  12.    #12  
    here's my chat with the Palm CHAT box at the Palm website:

3:55 PM Connecting...
    3:55 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    3:55 PM Support session established with Mark.

3:55 PM Mark: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. How can I help you?
    3:55 PM Tim McGrail: hi mark.
    3:55 PM Tim McGrail: i am about to go to sprint to request a replacement for my pre. this will be the 6th replacement
    3:56 PM Tim McGrail: the last two refurbs that came in were DOA out of the box.
    3:56 PM Tim McGrail: so now i'm out of patience.
    3:56 PM Mark: I see.
    3:57 PM Mark: How can I possibly help you?
    3:57 PM Tim McGrail: you tell me, Mark
    3:57 PM Tim McGrail: do i keep taking 2 hrs off of work to go to Sprint, wait 2 days without a useable phone, only to have a piece of garbage given to me?
    3:58 PM Tim McGrail: how many phones must i go through?
    3:58 PM Mark: I understand your concern. Let me see how I can help you.
    3:59 PM Mark: I understand that this is already your 6th replacement phone and your quite frustrated since the phone are not working as it use to be, right?
    4:00 PM Tim McGrail: frustrated that the replacements i'm being given are broken from the start!
    4:00 PM Mark: I see.
    4:01 PM Mark: When did you receive the phone from sprint?
    4:01 PM Tim McGrail: i don't want another refurb if it's going to be broken.
    4:01 PM Tim McGrail: which one? the most recent? yesterday
    4:02 PM Tim McGrail: the first one i got in 6/09
    4:02 PM Mark: You receive the recent phone yesterday from sprint and it was already broken when you receive it, right?
    4:02 PM Tim McGrail: yes
    4:02 PM Tim McGrail: and the one before it was broken when i received it too
    4:03 PM Tim McGrail: the 3rd one lasted over a year, and the first two each lasted about 2 months. all 5 were hardware failures.
    4:04 PM Mark: Can you tell me exactly what happen on the recent phone that you receive?
    4:04 PM Tim McGrail: the current phone is intermittently exhibiting 3 faults:
    4:04 PM Tim McGrail: 1. screen does not light up when you slide it open
    4:05 PM Tim McGrail: 2. call audio only through speakerphone, not thru ear speaker
    4:05 PM Tim McGrail: 3. call cuts in/out when you wiggle the phone slider
    4:05 PM Mark: I see. Let me see what I can do.
    4:06 PM Mark: Can you give me 3 minutes?
    4:06 PM Tim McGrail: no problem
    4:07 PM Tim McGrail: my closest svc. ctr. has verified issue #1. he suggested i go to a corporate store for solutions they couldn't offer.
    4:09 PM Mark: Thank you so much for waiting.
    4:10 PM Mark: You mention about corporate store, what corporate store is this?
    4:10 PM Tim McGrail: i have been going to the service center in Alpharetta, GA. it is a franchise store. They suggested I go to a corporate store. I plan to go to the Corporate store in Dunwoody, GA
    4:11 PM Mark: I see.
    4:12 PM Mark: Here at palm we can either process repair for free if the phone is within 1 year manufacturing warranty or replacement for $29.95.
    4:13 PM Mark: Before we process any order, we need first to check the phone and perform basic troubleshooting.
    4:14 PM Tim McGrail: the sticker inside the phone, under the battery, says "VTO 10/19/10"
    4:14 PM Tim McGrail: does that count?
    4:15 PM Mark: What VTO? If you want, I can check the warranty status of the phone.
    4:15 PM Tim McGrail: ok
    4:15 PM Mark: Is the phone On?
    4:15 PM Tim McGrail: no
    4:16 PM Mark: Can you turn On the phone and then open Device Info application.
    4:16 PM Mark: To check the warranty status of the phone, I need to get the serial number.
    4:17 PM Tim McGrail: the s/n is:
    4:17 PM Tim McGrail: P5xxxxxxxxxxx
    4:18 PM Mark: Thank you for the information.
    4:18 PM Mark: Please give me 2 minutes to check the warranty status.
    4:19 PM Mark: When did you purchase the original phone?
    4:19 PM Tim McGrail: 6/09
    4:19 PM Mark: Okay.
    4:20 PM Mark: It shows here in our record that the phone is already outside the 1 year manufacturing warranty.
    4:21 PM Mark: Now, if ever we found out that the phone needs repair then their will be additional fee of $199 since the phone is outside the warranty.
    4:23 PM Tim McGrail: what you're telling me, Mark, is that this product is of poor quality and that i should no longer purchase anything from Palm.
    4:23 PM Tim McGrail: that's what i'm hearing
    4:25 PM Mark: As much as I love to help you but those are my only options here. How would you like me to proceed?
    4:25 PM Tim McGrail: i bought this phone in good faith based on my experience with Palm PDAs. i've had a Palm V, Vx, M505, and Palm Z22.
    4:25 PM Tim McGrail: I bought this phone for $200 new. NONE of the phones have given me a year service.
    4:26 PM Tim McGrail: 5 different phones fail, and you want to charge me $200 to fix an obsolete model phone?
    4:26 PM Tim McGrail: ok, Mark. thanx. I'll take my business elsewhere. thanx for wasting my time.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 12/16/2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I completely understand your frustration! I went thru a very similar situation when the touchscreen on my wife's Pixi stopped working. The fun part of that chat was when the rep kept trying to get me to do things on the phone which required a working touchscreen and I kept asking for keyboard shortcuts. I don't think she appreciated my humor and sarcasm... :-) At the end I got the same $199 offer. Thanks but no thanks. Took it to a corporate store and they replaced the screen while my wife waitied for about $30.
    Tim, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you lost patience too early, and gave up.

First of all, this is not Palm's issue (in spite of the fact that it appears to be), it's Sprint's. However, Palm likely would have addressed it for you. If I were you, and actually wanted the phone replaced, this is what I would do:

Call Palm back. Make it clear to them that you were told by Sprint that you were receiving a refurbished phone. Ask them to tell you what the refurb date is (you can check yourself, but you want them on record telling you what it is). Tell them that the phone you currently have was presented as a refurbished phone by the Sprint franchise store. Tell them are you frustrated, but will return to Sprint if absolutely necessary, but that you would prefer Palm handle the situation since it's been so involved.

If that fails, call Sprint. Ask that it be escalated immediately since you were told you were given a refurbished phone when in fact a Sprint franchised store gave you a used phone and misrepresented it as a refurb.

Stay polite. Don't cut them off. Don't smart reply back (no matter how tempting it is). Follow the above procedure, and I can almost guarantee you will get a replacement phone that works.

If you don't, let me know.
    what's the odds of me getting an instore repaired phone that works? the phones i'm getting from the franchise store/service center are coming in the mail in little white pouches. i've seen them pull them right from the bag.
    I've had several phones from Sprint replaced over the years. They have never pulled a replacement phone from "little white pouches". All have been in boxes clearly marked as Sprint refurbished devices.

Again, I suspect you've been scammed by a franchise store, and given returned (not refurbed) devices. Can't say for sure, but it surely sounds like it.
    I agree with hparsons, it sounds like the replacements you've been given have not been truly refurbished.
    This further adds to what I have been saying right along (which everyone took a s&%t on, btw), that the refurbs have been the issue with why we have went through so many phones. I received a new phone on 6/2/10, and I still have it. Before that with refurbs...

Assurion, can not rebuild anything more advanced than an ice cube. I have also received refurbs in white pouches.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  18.    #18  
    SO HOW DOES IT END?

I went to the closest corporate svc ctr. A 5 wk old store in one of the ritziest shopping areas in ATL.

END RESULT: new pre in hand. Seems noticeably zippy.

I did spell it out for them in a manner that would elicit the response I wanted: a new pre. They gave me the whole box.

this was a 6th replacement for break down
    the last two refurb exchanges were defective on activation.
    I spoke to sprint "adv. Exch. Dept" who said they'd send a new one if they had one, and to go to the store.
    I went to the store i'd been going to and they said go to a corp. Store.
    I did. The entire time, I was waiting for this guy to tell me he couldn't help me.

he did. In fact, I walked out of there in shock. I don't think I've experienced such great customer service in years. I really walked out of there dumbfounded at how well they handled my issue.

so I am a happy customer still.

ATL sprint users, perim. svc ctr. gets high praise from TJs6thPRE. You can tell 'em I sent ya. Hah

hi all,

i'm in the sprint store right now, they have my 4th replacement phone. they're telling me that they can only transfer my contacts and my photos to my new phone. i KNOW this isn't true, but i need to know exactly what is restorable to a replacement phone.

i'd like to restore:

contacts - which i can do through gmail anyway
    notes - the post-its on the default palm app
    pictures, music, vids - which i've just copied via USB link
    calendar - i don't use outlook or google cal
    a list of my downloaded apps (they're all freewares but still..)
    settings - my backlight, ring settings, or the arrangement of my app icons on the desktop
    my recent locations and favorites on sprint navi

i've always had a palm. is there a way to plain ol' HOTSYNC just like i used to do? hot sync restoration would bring back apps you had too.

i just copied the entire d: drive [Pre] folder set to the desktop of this laptop, so just in case, i can drag and drop the entire thing to the new phone and try that.

please help before they close and boot me out of here!
    thanx!
    Tj
  19.    #19  
    p.s. At both stores were two svc counter guys each with an evo and epic.. They each loved their own phone, but both evo guys conceded their coworkers epic had a nicer screen.

so that's big points I'm seeing rack up for android 2.2 w/ 4G. If this pre doesn't restore my faith in the brand, I don't know if I'll stay with palm whether pre2 comes to sprint or not.

but I read some stuff today about palm/HP coming out with some new stuff, so sprint may veer away from the pre name if there's more webOS products to choose from.

a tablet has got to be coming. And probly a 5" screen too. How could they not?

that's why I wanted to hold off on upgrade til may when I'm due. Spring release season.

ok #6, let's see how long you last!
    That's some great reading! I've been pretty fortunate and only recently had to replace my launch day Pre. Didn't really have to but the usb crack was extending onto the screen and I wanted a Pre that would make it until June 'cuz it could be that long before Sprint sees a new webOS device. They all know me at the franchise store where I bought my launch day phone and they sent me to their repair center store (another of their franchise stores) and they had me walking out the door with a new phone right out of the box in less than 30 minutes. I guess it all depends on the franchisee and how they run their business. My family has bought 3 Pres, a Hero, a Storm, and now an EVO in the past year and a half and they treat me like a VIP. They treat my so good I'd have a hard time leaving Sprint even if they don't get the next great webOS phone....and I love webOS!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast