Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been paying insurrance on it since I got it. So far I've replaced it 3 times for various reasons (bad reception, wobble slider, etc). About a month ago I started having a lot of problems with this one (bad reception and touch sensitivity was poor). Anyways yesterday I dropped it and it completely broke in half. Now Sprint wants me to pay $100 to replace it, even though there were already problems with it! I know this is a lost cause almost but there has to be something I can do. I'm a college student and cannot afford to pay $100 for this crappy phone when I can just get a better one for $200. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    At this point, it doesn't matter that it had previous problems. A tech will only see the damage you caused by dropping it. Sorry...
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ya you're outa luck.
    You obviously broke your phone so your issues before hand wont hold any weight with it broke in half. $100 for a refurb is the deal for owner damage.
    You can check on ebay for a cheaper one or close to that price that might come with some accessories.
    Good luck..
    Everybody wants some!..
    Smartest thing you can do it remove your insurance and get a phone off ebay/clist

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    don't listen to any of that. "customer is always right" remember?

while i'm not a college student anymore, i know how you feel about the market value of the phone equivalent to the deductible (it happened to me). you can do what i did and call/email sprint and b.itch them out until you get results. go to retentions as a last resort and speak about how long you've been a customer, their service, etc.

chances are, they will do something to keep your business and credit the $100 to your account after asurion charges you. nothing should come out of your pocket.

but be persistent! good luck.
    100 bucks is the copay for the insurance to replace you phone. Since Ive been getting them much cheaper than that on the internet, I've dropped my insurance till the next new webos device comes out for them..
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    insurance is a ripoff. The real question is evo or epic? My power button died today...
    If they won't replace it, maybe a Pre Plus conversion is in order?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    yes plus it. Fixed my main problems like too many cards abd build quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    insurance is a ripoff. The real question is evo or epic? My power button died today...
    Well, Insurance is not waranted on the Pre but is a good idea on better (more expensive) devices.

Oh! BTW the answer is Epic!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

No! Not a Samsung!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    I've been paying insurrance on it since I got it. So far I've replaced it 3 times for various reasons (bad reception, wobble slider, etc). About a month ago I started having a lot of problems with this one (bad reception and touch sensitivity was poor). Anyways yesterday I dropped it and it completely broke in half. Now Sprint wants me to pay $100 to replace it, even though there were already problems with it!
    Sprint cost of repair or replacement for your phone

"Last Updated: Oct 26, 2010

If the device is covered by Total Equipment Protection (TEP) or the Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP), there is no charge for repairs caused by normal wear and tear or mechanical/electrical failure or physical damage.

If the device is covered by TEP and it has liquid damage or is damaged beyond repair, you'll need to file a claim and pay a non-refundable deductible for each approved claim, determined by the model of your device.

If the device is not covered by TEP, ERP or ESRP, you may have to pay a $35.00 fee per-incident to repair your device.
    "

So, on the one hand, there is no charge for physical damage but Sprint goes on to say that if it's damaged beyond repair you'll need to pay a deductible.

It sounds like they can't repair it since it's broken in half. Seems to be a gray area. I can see if the phone was run over by a truck, but you wouldn't think that just dropping it would damage it beyond repair.
    I never heard of a pre breaking in half by dropping it.breaking yes,breaking in half,I don't think so.what did you do drop it off a interstate highway,empire state building?. Nice try.LOL.

Sent using taptalk.
    Evo by far.so soild with no moving parts.very flat in your pocket.

Sent using taptalk.
    evo > epic
    I'm in the same boat only it's $150 to repair here in Canada.
    Last edited by thomsonr; 12/08/2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Left out out I was in Canada
    I recently paid $50 for a refurb because the repair guy at the sprint corporate store refused to even look at my phone which was having headphone jack problems. The reason was that the housing was missing a piece on the side (had been for 4 mos). I called the customer support and they gave me a $50 credit on my bill for my troubles but still made me pay the $100 replacement fee. I subsequently bought a Pre for my wife off of Ebay for $45. I would look around. I am considering dropping the insurance on all 5 of my phones and saving $35 per month.
  18.    #18  
    I guess the point of me telling you the history is that I've had it replaced 3 times already. It's not like this is a one time thing. Anyways I recently activated my 755p so I think I'll wait until PP2 or a good Windows 7 phone.

Thanks for all the advice!
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    I've been paying insurrance on it since I got it. So far I've replaced it 3 times for various reasons (bad reception, wobble slider, etc). About a month ago I started having a lot of problems with this one (bad reception and touch sensitivity was poor). Anyways yesterday I dropped it and it completely broke in half. Now Sprint wants me to pay $100 to replace it, even though there were already problems with it! I know this is a lost cause almost but there has to be something I can do. I'm a college student and cannot afford to pay $100 for this crappy phone when I can just get a better one for $200. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Try calling Palm(HP) themselves, maybe they will do something. Its worth a try. (Palm Help Line# 1-866-219-7445, Technical Support)
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    Your first mistake was buying the insurance. Its a ripoff. Like everyone said, you can pick up Pre's on ebay for the same price as getting a refurb through sprint. sorry.
    I wouldn't say that, I just got a replacment pre ordered FINALLY and it's free. Been wanting one for MONTHS but they were going to harge me due to the damage from the cracked door issue. Sprint just gave me a reason to stay and keep the insurance b giving me a phone that I an finally hear calls on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast